Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haomuch

Currently I use the liveview auto zoom to help MF give the magic room is not clear enough. But the half press trigger method is really a little annoying as it prevent immediate shutter sometime. I noticed that we can also use the exposure lock key to zoom. So can we only use this key to trigger this function?

gamerblot

Quote from: gamerblot on August 05, 2013, 09:31:27 PM
Intervalometer doesn't seem to work. It just freezes when it tries to take the first pic and the camera is also frozen so you have to take battery out to reset.

HDR doesn't seem to work either. Seems like anything that use ML to trigger the shutter automatically.

I got Intervalometer and HDR Auto Bracketing to work finally. After futzing around with it for awhile, this is what I found...

Basically, you have to turn on Intervalometer. The camera gets stuck and the shutter doesn't release. But then you hit the Power Off button and then again to Power On right away (if you wait more than a few seconds, ML disappears). The camera then turns back on and immediately starts taking pictures using the Intervalometer setting you set. You hit PLAY button to stop the Intervalometer, go back into the ML menu and now Intervalometer and Auto Bracketing works (or at least until you turn the camera off and ML disappears) and you can change your settings and use Intervalometer and Auto Bracketing.

This is obviously not ideal but it is a workaround for all you timelapsers out there like me.

Hope %1 and A1ex can figure out how to fix this Intervalometer/Auto Bracketing bug and make it so you don't have to Update Firmware every time you want to use ML on EOS-M 2.02. Keep up the great work!

Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

mixer2

Quote from: Dark-Master on August 07, 2013, 07:24:29 AM
Sorry, I missed the post.

I used 1472x500.
Is what you mean by crop mode the big white rectangle? I always record with white rectangle on.

Thank you.

you'll find the crop mode option in the ml movie menu "Movie crop mode". what sucks is that you'll get an additional crop factor of  ~3 (it's a 100% crop on the sensor), therefore you'll get with 18mm a slightly narrower view than with 55mm. so you can't do wide angle shots with that option. but without that option the raw videos do have a imho useless quality. with that option enabled the quality is quite nice.
i'll create the dot removal data for non crop mode, but i don't think that anyone wants to use it.

Dark-Master

Quote from: mixer2 on August 07, 2013, 10:48:29 AM
you'll find the crop mode option in the ml movie menu "Movie crop mode". what sucks is that you'll get an additional crop factor of  ~3 (it's a 100% crop on the sensor), therefore you'll get with 18mm a slightly narrower view than with 55mm. so you can't do wide angle shots with that option. but without that option the raw videos do have a imho useless quality. with that option enabled the quality is quite nice.
i'll create the dot removal data for non crop mode, but i don't think that anyone wants to use it.

Thank you very much. I'll try that now.

Is there any possibility that we'll be able to shoot in non cop mode in usable quality?

Since my 60D only has buffer transfer limit @~20MB/s. I really hope my EOS M would do the better job since it has much bigger buffer. Just saying.

1%

QuoteHope %1 and A1ex can figure out how to fix this Intervalometer/Auto Bracketing bug and make it so you don't have to Update Firmware every time you want to use ML on EOS-M 2.02. Keep up the great work!

Its the same problem. Intervalometer works on my camera with a regularly booting version.

Indianac

Quote from: daduke on August 07, 2013, 10:04:16 AM
I had this problem too: you need to copy the modules directory into the ML directory, not on the root level.

-Christian

Thanks Christian. That did the trick! I'm on ML now for 2.02.

mixer2

@Dark-Master: don't think that there will be usable non crop raw video on the eos m. the method canon scales the image down (by just skipping lines and rows, instead of interpolation) combined with the reduced vertical resolution from the sqeeze factor leads to miserable quality. but i don't know, maybe 1% can tell you if there is any hope.
i also had problems with the extreme cropfactor in crop mode first, but you can get used to it. especially with the new 11-22mm lense or a speedbooster (as soon as one for eos m is available) it should be possible to get wide enough angle of view for most situations. since it's cropped from the center and wide angle lenses are mainly distorted at the edges there shouldn't be much barrel distortion or stuff like that with wide angle lenses. have tested it with sigma 10-20mm, but don't use it much, since it doesn't has IS.

gamerblot

Quote from: gamerblot on August 07, 2013, 10:32:54 AM
I got Intervalometer and HDR Auto Bracketing to work finally. After futzing around with it for awhile, this is what I found...

Basically, you have to turn on Intervalometer. The camera gets stuck and the shutter doesn't release. But then you hit the Power Off button and then again to Power On right away (if you wait more than a few seconds, ML disappears). The camera then turns back on and immediately starts taking pictures using the Intervalometer setting you set. You hit PLAY button to stop the Intervalometer, go back into the ML menu and now Intervalometer and Auto Bracketing works (or at least until you turn the camera off and ML disappears) and you can change your settings and use Intervalometer and Auto Bracketing.

This is obviously not ideal but it is a workaround for all you timelapsers out there like me.

Hope %1 and A1ex can figure out how to fix this Intervalometer/Auto Bracketing bug and make it so you don't have to Update Firmware every time you want to use ML on EOS-M 2.02. Keep up the great work!

Quote from: 1% on August 07, 2013, 03:12:00 PM
Its the same problem. Intervalometer works on my camera with a regularly booting version.

OK, I found that you don't have to invoke the Intervalometer first. All you have to do Update Firmware to load ML, once on, just hit Power On/Off quickly twice (once to turn off, once to turn on) within a second (if you take longer than a second, ML is unloaded again) and Intervalomater and Auto Bracketing (and I am sure other ML features) work. This workaround is probably simulating what the bootflag would have done in the first place but for all those like me that got our EOS-M with 2.02 and not an upgrade from 1.06 with a ML bootflag previously, this is a workaround for now.

Hope %1 can figure out the bootflag for 2.02 firmware users soon
Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

markr041

Quote from: gamerblot on August 07, 2013, 07:49:55 PM
OK, I found that you don't have to invoke the Intervalometer first. All you have to do Update Firmware to load ML, once on, just hit Power On/Off quickly twice (once to turn off, once to turn on) within a second (if you take longer than a second, ML is unloaded again) and Intervalomater and Auto Bracketing (and I am sure other ML features) work. This workaround is probably simulating what the bootflag would have done in the first place but for all those like me that got our EOS-M with 2.02 and not an upgrade from 1.06 with a ML bootflag previously, this is a workaround for now.

Hope %1 can figure out the bootflag for 2.02 firmware users soon

With my 2.02 firmware EOS-M and ML I can't get zebras to work or focus peaking or anything to show up overlaid on the screen - does this also require the on-off trick, or do you have those working? I do get the menus and higher bitrate video and other features working , so my install is fine.

gamerblot

Quote from: markr041 on August 07, 2013, 08:12:58 PM
With my 2.02 firmware EOS-M and ML I can't get zebras to work or focus peaking or anything to show up overlaid on the screen - does this also require the on-off trick, or do you have those working? I do get the menus and higher bitrate video and other features working , so my install is fine.

Zebras, focus peaking and Global Draw overlays are all working for me without need to do the on/off trick. I just need to do the on/off trick for shutter release type ML functions.

markr041

Quote from: gamerblot on August 07, 2013, 08:26:07 PM
Zebras, focus peaking and Global Draw overlays are all working for me without need to do the on/off trick. I just need to do the on/off trick for shutter release type ML functions.

Thanks. All I needed to do was press the 'Display' button to get rid of the Canon icons (as the ML instructions say in the camera!) and everything shows up.

markr041

Quote from: markr041 on August 07, 2013, 02:30:38 AM
OK, I installed ML no problem.

I turned on GlobalView: Live View. Set zebras on and histogram on. But I do not see them on the screen.

I turned on REC/Standby for video: I do not see them on the screen. Again, no ML overlays at all.

What is working (for me):

In video, I can up the bitrate - got it up to 63 Mbps.

I got the log working. But, no report of ISO (just = 0). It does report time, shutter speed, focus distance (I moved that around to check), and aperture. Why no ISO?

There is no audio in video mode. Will this be fixed?

I understand there are limitations, but let's fix the overlay issue (which may be me, but I can follow instructions and they should show as far as I can tell).

I of course appreciate very much the work that went into this and the supposed feature set, so these are not complaints, just questions.

You're an idiot, Markr041:

1. All you needed to do was press the 'Display' button to get rid of the Canon icons (as the ML instructions say in the camera!) and everything shows up - histogram, zebras, STANDBY. and a lot of info on settings, even the name of the file.

2. Audio is disabled only when you add some features (Video hacks).

haomuch

Quote from: gamerblot on August 07, 2013, 08:26:07 PM

What is that trick?

gamerblot

Quote from: haomuch on August 07, 2013, 10:56:13 PM
What is that trick?

The on/off trick. Basically you Update Firmware to load ML. Then you hit Power On/Off once to turn off and then immediately again to turn on (must do it within a second or so of turning off or ML will be gone from memory). ML should still be there and shutter release features such as Intervalometer and HDR Auto Bracketing will work where they didn't before.

This trick is only necessary for all those with EOS-M 2.02 from factory. If you upgraded from 1.06 and had loaded ML for 1.06 with bootflag and still have it, you don't need to re-flash every time and you shouldn't need this trick.

Dark-Master

Quote from: mixer2 on August 07, 2013, 05:52:34 PM
@Dark-Master: don't think that there will be usable non crop raw video on the eos m. the method canon scales the image down (by just skipping lines and rows, instead of interpolation) combined with the reduced vertical resolution from the sqeeze factor leads to miserable quality. but i don't know, maybe 1% can tell you if there is any hope.
i also had problems with the extreme cropfactor in crop mode first, but you can get used to it. especially with the new 11-22mm lense or a speedbooster (as soon as one for eos m is available) it should be possible to get wide enough angle of view for most situations. since it's cropped from the center and wide angle lenses are mainly distorted at the edges there shouldn't be much barrel distortion or stuff like that with wide angle lenses. have tested it with sigma 10-20mm, but don't use it much, since it doesn't has IS.

I see. Thank you very much.

ML is still freakin' awesome for EOS M, thanks to you guys.

feureau

Has anyone ever gotten a purple screen?

I randomly get those but can't seem to figure out what causes it (and it means that I can't tell you the steps on how to reproduce it). It usually happens when I half-press the shutter button, but also on other occasion.

markr041

https://vimeo.com/71944234

This is one sequence shot in RAW mode with the EOS M. Then, the single RAW file (one take) was split into its 800 frames as 800 sequentially numbered .DNG files. The .DNG files were read into Adobe Lightroom, where white balance was set (I chose the daylight setting). I also lowered ev by one third and then all 800 files were outputted as .Tif files. The set of 800 Tiff files (really frames) were read into Sony Vegas Pro and then rendered out as an MP4 file with a bitrate of 40Mbps at 29.970. The original frame rate was 29.970, shot at 720p in 2:35 aspect ratio (1280x544) - and that is what you see. The sequence bitrate in the camera was about 35 megabytes per second and continuous shooting (I could have shot until the file size limit). The original RAW file was almost 1 Gigabyte for this 25-second sequence shot in extremely bright sun.

Canon eos m

Quote from: feureau on August 08, 2013, 06:49:51 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a purple screen?

I randomly get those but can't seem to figure out what causes it (and it means that I can't tell you the steps on how to reproduce it). It usually happens when I half-press the shutter button, but also on other occasion.

A tip, a bug and a comment:

Tip: shut global draw when recording RW video - pushes the CPU use age by half leaving more room for the buffer to take in extra shots;

Bug: if the magic zoom is turned on while HDR video recording, the video just keeps recording and cannot be shut off till the battery is removed and nothing is saved; and

Comment: I don't have the issues with Auto Bracket and Intervalometer that has been pointed by some (i.e., don't have to shut off and on to secure their functioning).
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

feureau

Quote from: markr041 on August 08, 2013, 07:04:53 AM
https://vimeo.com/71944234

This is one sequence shot in RAW mode with the EOS M. Then, the single RAW file (one take) was split into its 800 frames as 800 sequentially numbered .DNG files. The .DNG files were read into Adobe Lightroom, where white balance was set (I chose the daylight setting). I also lowered ev by one third and then all 800 files were outputted as .Tif files. The set of 800 Tiff files (really frames) were read into Sony Vegas Pro and then rendered out as an MP4 file with a bitrate of 40Mbps at 29.970. The original frame rate was 29.970, shot at 720p in 2:35 aspect ratio (1280x544) - and that is what you see. The sequence bitrate in the camera was about 35 megabytes per second and continuous shooting (I could have shot until the file size limit). The original RAW file was almost 1 Gigabyte for this 25-second sequence shot in extremely bright sun.

That is awesome. What make/model card are you using? :3

markr041

Quote from: feureau on August 08, 2013, 09:15:44 AM
That is awesome. What make/model card are you using? :3

Sandisk Extreme 32GB (class 10, UH-1). Claims 50 MB per second write speed.

mixer2

if anyone wants to try a current pink dot remover test version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/m0bxzd23p4zow8o/PinkDotRemover_2013_08_08.zip

new features:
* add files via drag and drop
* remove files from list via "del" key
* eosm dot removal data for non crop mode again (it isn't really tested, just the 1472x500 resolution for Dark-Master is tested. if you find any resolution that doesn't work please report it!)
* renamed dot data files. use CropMode for eos-m or 650d in crop mode. use EOSM for eos-m raw video without crop mode and for silent dngs.
* last dropdown selection gets saved that you don't have to select it each time you start the program

since it's based on current version all the latest changes from foorgol are also in that version. you can remove dots directly from the raw files not just the dngs and other improvements. check the 650d pdr thread for details http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.125

handbanana

I'm exporting my first real test of the EOS M raw video, recorded using the full sensor at max resolution at 24fps and 2.39 aspect ratio. I resized it in AE to fix the stretch, but so far it's looking pretty good. At this resolution I'm getting continuous recording and it looks about as good as the full res looked on my 60D, except that only got me ~11 seconds.