Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fand4ngo

Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2013, 07:45:16 PM
2.0 people will have to wait for an installer :(

If you need someone to test an installer, just let me know.

Drizzt321

Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2013, 10:58:17 PM
Below MZ working well again.

If you've got a prototype build for 2.0.2 I'll be happy to test for you. I've got 48 hour film festival this weekend, and it'd be cool to add EOS-M to my 5d2/5d3 for shooting, and ML would really help with that. I'm willing to risk bricking it.

1%

Yea, its not going to take 1 day. I just reorganised stubs and found adtg shutter, it cleans up FPS sprinkles/lines but timings are too loose, have to set manually. So one bug down, can get some time lapse out of this thing finally.

Next up porting. Fingers crossed for display filters/mz.

feureau

manly

Hi! I'm one of the many who bought an EOS M with last months 300$ deal and is just getting started in photography. I've been following this thread ever since. I understand ML is mostly geared towards recording enthousiasts moreso than people looking forward a more configurable firmware. I was wondering if by any luck ML can be used to fix the (forgive my french) god-awful EOS M AF speed (for pictures)?

I could be wrong but I do often have the impression from the stock 2.02 firmware that even in single-target focus mode it keeps on going too far to determine something is beginning to get out of focus and loses a lot of time there. As such, I assume the slow AF is in major part slowed down by the firmware. In any case, thanks again for any response from the more knowledgeable people.

feureau

Quote from: manly on August 01, 2013, 07:25:41 AM
I understand ML is mostly geared towards recording enthousiasts moreso than people looking forward a more configurable firmware.

Not exactly. It's just that the photography features of ML so mature that most of the talk tends to gyrate towards the rather newly developed video features such as fps, hdr, and raw vids.

Quote from: manly on August 01, 2013, 07:25:41 AM
I was wondering if by any luck ML can be used to fix the (forgive my french) god-awful EOS M AF speed (for pictures)?

I could be wrong but I do often have the impression from the stock 2.02 firmware that even in single-target focus mode it keeps on going too far to determine something is beginning to get out of focus and loses a lot of time there. As such, I assume the slow AF is in major part slowed down by the firmware. In any case, thanks again for any response from the more knowledgeable people.

Upgrade to 2.0.2. This fixes the slow AF problem. Don't expect DSLR AF speed, nothing on this planet beats OVF phase detection. Yet.

But I can tell you this anecdote: it's a lot more sensitive in low light than the 60D. I was at a birthday party a few weeks ago, I had my EOS-M with adapter and a friend used the 60D. There's this one group shot that the 60D just wouldn't autofocus because it was too damn dark. They handed me the 60D, I played around with it, it just wouldn't lock focus. Instead of switching to manual, I decided to pop the lens to my EOS-M, and it immediately locks focus and fired. Switched to multishot NR and the resulting pic looks as good as it was shot on ISO100.

Couldn't be happier.

Canon eos m

@1% fingers on my hands and toes are crossed  :)
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

whohitme

I'm just getting into using ML for my 5DII, and would love it on the M I just bought. Thanks for the hard work. Would love to see the EOS utility work if possible as well. Watching this closely.

wuxiekeji

Quote from: Drizzt321 on August 01, 2013, 02:03:23 AM
If you've got a prototype build for 2.0.2 I'll be happy to test for you. I've got 48 hour film festival this weekend, and it'd be cool to add EOS-M to my 5d2/5d3 for shooting, and ML would really help with that. I'm willing to risk bricking it.

+1 I just got in on the EOS-M deal and using it mostly for fooling with alt MF lenses. Hoping to get the zoom box back that I am so used to on the 60D

Drizzt321

Quote from: 1% on August 01, 2013, 03:01:34 AM
Yea, its not going to take 1 day. I just reorganised stubs and found adtg shutter, it cleans up FPS sprinkles/lines but timings are too loose, have to set manually. So one bug down, can get some time lapse out of this thing finally.

Next up porting. Fingers crossed for display filters/mz.

Ah well. A person can hope, right? Anyway, awesome, keep up the great work and do what you gotta do!

Quote from: wuxiekeji on August 01, 2013, 07:00:48 PM
+1 I just got in on the EOS-M deal and using it mostly for fooling with alt MF lenses. Hoping to get the zoom box back that I am so used to on the 60D

Yea, I actually have 2 adapters coming for tomorrow, an MD mount (no corrective optics FTW!) and m42 mount adapters so that I can use some of my old lenses. I've got a nice 28mm f/2.8 MD lens that'll probably look pretty sweet, and a 55mm f/2.8 Macro in m42, and a 135 f/3.5 in m42 along with my bellows and I could have a pretty sweet Macro setup that's relatively light and puts a lot of pixels right on target :)

manly

Quote from: feureau on August 01, 2013, 08:16:13 AM
[...]
Upgrade to 2.0.2. This fixes the slow AF problem. Don't expect DSLR AF speed, nothing on this planet beats OVF phase detection. Yet.
[...]
But I can tell you this anecdote: it's a lot more sensitive in low light than the 60D.
I might not have the experience of a professional photographer but I did also note that the 22mm pancake was amazing at taking good pictures even in really low lighting with no flash. One of the reasons I am fairly certain I will resell the speedlight flash that came with the kit (selling for half the price I paid the entire kit?!)

I did upgrade to 2.0.2. I was simply pointing out that it feels like it over/under focuses before coming back to the 'optimal' focus. If the in-focus detection settings were set more aggressively it could save valuable focus time. Additionally, such a setting could also help with the 'couldn't find anything to focus on' problem I seem to have every now and then. I'd be welcome to see/hear if you would agree with that.

haomuch

Dose anyone use tapatalk to follow this topic? Why it recently says I don't have the permission necessary to get notifications from this topic?

Besides, any news about the 2.0 version?

1%

I booted it today... I have some memory problems, exmem doesn't work and allocate has an extra 0 at the end.

Fixed MZ.. I wonder if I can sync display filters from this.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on August 03, 2013, 08:01:38 PM
I booted it today...
Fixed MZ.. I wonder if I can sync display filters from this.

Yay! \o/

gamerblot

New to this board but have been following for awhile. Just bought the EOS-M deal to add to my Canon camera collection and am following keenly on 2.02 ML firmware update for EOS-M as I want the timeplapse function.

Keep up the good work @1% and looking forward to 2.02
Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

vadim_s

Been following this thread for weeks and itching to get ML on my eos-m.  Wanted to post up and say thanks to 1% and the ML team for everything and that I would be happy to pitch in a bit for all yours guys time whenever this is ready or even now.

1%

Its usable now, needs a few more stubs and of course the installer.

I'm on 2.0.2 now and can't go back... still same issues with display filter but MZ is good except for crop mode.. canon really did fix the focusing.

feureau

Hooray!!! :D

Congrats, 1%!!!

We the 99% salutes you!

haomuch

Quote from: 1% on August 04, 2013, 02:07:05 AM
Its usable now, needs a few more stubs and of course the installer.

I'm on 2.0.2 now and can't go back... still same issues with display filter but MZ is good except for crop mode.. canon really did fix the focusing.

Hope we can use it this weekend

1%

If you boot flagged, you can compile already/upgrade/use it.

Whats missing right now is stubs for TP log/audio (giving it another go) and bitrate, also raw rec/display timer needs some addys changed.

KSphoto

Thanks 1%! I'm really excited to get ML on my new EOS M.
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.

1%

No installer yet for 2.02.. if you had v1 you could upgrade and just compile ATM.

Dark-Master

Thank you so much, 1%.

:)

I upgraded to 2.0.2 because it really focuses faster & better than before.

Now waiting for ML. More possibilities just like before... :D