Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameron12x

I'm new to the Magic Lantern community.

First, thanks to all of the people who have contributed to make this project a huge success!  Where would we be without you folks?

I just received the EOS-M with firmware 2.0.2 installed.  I am hoping that ML is ported to this firmware release as I too would like to:

"I want to perch this thing on my telescope and take some wide-sky astrophotos with the 22mm f/2 lens, and ML's intervalometer and bulb control are just what I need."

Question:  Did the original ML port for the previous firmware release support tethered shooting?  This is a very important missing piece of functionality from the EOS-M.  It would be GREAT if tethered shooting (e.g. camera controlled remotely via USB cable from a computer) could be made to work.

Again, thanks so much for all of your efforts...  they are truly appreciated!

Eisland

Hey guys,

I bought 5 EOS M to record classical concerts... but with me, the automatic movie restart stopps after about 20min. recording time.
I use a Sandisk 64GB memory card. Could anybody help me with that issue?? I have 2 weeks, and then it should work... and I am losing hope right now, as I tried everything to prevent the video from stopping...

Best regards,
Kevin

feureau

Quote from: Eisland on July 16, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
Hey guys,

I bought 5 EOS M to record classical concerts... but with me, the automatic movie restart stopps after about 20min. recording time.
I use a Sandisk 64GB memory card. Could anybody help me with that issue?? I have 2 weeks, and then it should work... and I am losing hope right now, as I tried everything to prevent the video from stopping...

Best regards,
Kevin

Hi, Kev.
Without ML, it should record up to 29.59. Have you tried this?

The movie restart with ML wouldn't go past 29.59.  They found the way to do make continuously record past 29.59 (no gaps in recording) it was on one of the older builds,  but the team decided that they won't have an ML that lets you bypass the 29.59.

cafaidy

Quote from: Eisland on July 16, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
Hey guys,

Best regards,
Kevin

Hi

The best solution I can find is (if ML don't work): deferred record of 3 eos-m for editing the film (multicam) and switch a camera to another when it stops
Co-gérant Agence FX - Bordeaux, France
5d mkII, 600D, 30D, Eos-M, 12-24mm f4 Tokina, 17mm 3.5 tamron SP, 18-55 3.5 5.6 IS EF-M, 28mm 1.8 canon, 50mm 1.8 mkI, 80-200 2.8 canon + 35 lens m42

1%

I found my bug so I'll start working on upgrading to 2.0.2 soon.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on July 16, 2013, 03:13:16 PM

Have I told you lately that I love you? :D

feureau

Quote from: cafaidy on July 16, 2013, 02:52:24 PM
Hi

The best solution I can find is (if ML don't work): deferred record of 3 eos-m for editing the film (multicam) and switch a camera to another when it stops

I think it's the best solution so far. Shoot without ML for such an important event.

I had EOS-M ML crashed on me in the middle of a forest. The screen would just purple'd and I had to pull out the battery. Then it'd happen again and again in the middle of shooting. Ended up formatting the card and shooting without ML. There's still some bugs in there to iron out, but no biggie. It's the risk of running nightly.

1%

What version? And how to reproduce that.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on July 16, 2013, 04:03:16 PM
What version? And how to reproduce that.

It was from tragic lantern. I don't remember which version. It was like, from 2-3 days before firmware 2.0.2 came out.

It happened in the field at a critical time. I was time-pressed to get a shot.

Turn it on, focused, and the live view froze with a purple image stretched/warped/interlaced looking. The camera just froze entirely, nothing works, pushing the on/off button wouldn't turn off. Pulled out the battery, put it back in. Boots up like usual. Half-press focus, camera focuses. Takes shot, purple stretched-image-interlaced screen.

Tried this like 5 times. Happens every time. Had to pop in a non-ML card. Works fine like normal.

When I got back, I looked for error logs, but nothing wrong with it. Tried booting, took a shot, works fine like normal ML. Couldn't reproduce it. Formatted the card and reinstalled ML to make sure. Haven't had that since.

Not sure what happened there.

cameron12x

You're the BEST!  Thanks!   :)

cafaidy

The best of the world of universe of of ..... : 1%
5d mkII, 600D, 30D, Eos-M, 12-24mm f4 Tokina, 17mm 3.5 tamron SP, 18-55 3.5 5.6 IS EF-M, 28mm 1.8 canon, 50mm 1.8 mkI, 80-200 2.8 canon + 35 lens m42

HoveyWanKenobi

Hey 1% I'm new to Magic Lantern and the Forums here but I'm interested in helping out if I can. Just got an EOS M and would like to get ML installed but also running on 2.0.2. I work in the Comp Sci field and would be happy to lend a hand at trying to work out the bugs for a 2.0.2 release. Let me know how I can help out.

1%

Heh, I have a whole building to install systems in so this is on the back burner a bit for next 2 weeks. I'll try to get what I can done when I'm not working though. I'm out there like 10 hours so its kinda hard to get lunch, much less code :(

Here is how its going to go:

1. Stubs
2. Consts
3. Figure out an installer so you can boot flag 2.0.2 cameras since there is no downgrade.
If you already had ML it will be easy as the boot flag stays an you just update and get new bins.

Canon eos m

I haven't been active on this spot for very long since I have been traveling. The first thing I did on my return was to update the firmware to 2.0.2 since I wanted to feel the difference in AF capabilities in real time. I am disappointed to say the least. The lens does latch on faster but still struggles in low contrast situations - pulling focus but not struggling to find the sweet spot. If this is all the Canon staff was able to come up with in so many months - not sure where the entire mirror less adventure is heading.

Plus, I now don't have ML for this version. 1% will eventually come up with the right stuff. The one thing I really miss not having is the focus peaking advantage. My manual focus Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 just is not good just no good without the peaking facility.

So, I am taking a few days off the EoS M and gogin back to my 5DMIII for now. A bit of disappointing news here too. I ordered the most expensive Komputerbay CF card money can buy only to find that the cheaper option is better. The 128GB card cannot handle 1920p video. Max 130 frames with 1 -2 dropped frames.

I think there is still a way to go with the RAW on DSLR's thing and The EoS M is not even an SLR.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

haomuch

Quote from: Canon eos m on July 18, 2013, 06:11:24 AM
I haven't been active on this spot for very long since I have been traveling. The first thing I did on my return was to update the firmware to 2.0.2 since I wanted to feel the difference in AF capabilities in real time. I am disappointed to say the least. The lens does latch on faster but still struggles in low contrast situations - pulling focus but not struggling to find the sweet spot. If this is all the Canon staff was able to come up with in so many months - not sure where the entire mirror less adventure is heading.

Plus, I now don't have ML for this version. 1% will eventually come up with the right stuff. The one thing I really miss not having is the focus peaking advantage. My manual focus Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 just is not good just no good without the peaking facility.

So, I am taking a few days off the EoS M and gogin back to my 5DMIII for now. A bit of disappointing news here too. I ordered the most expensive Komputerbay CF card money can buy only to find that the cheaper option is better. The 128GB card cannot handle 1920p video. Max 130 frames with 1 -2 dropped frames.

I think there is still a way to go with the RAW on DSLR's thing and The EoS M is not even an SLR.

I just don't understand why canon can't provide the peaking focus and auto focus area magnifier in their firmware. Olympus is pushing great firmware upgradings again and again with all the necessary functions. What is canon doing?

cafaidy

Quote from: 1% on July 18, 2013, 03:42:38 AM
Heh, I have a whole building to install systems in so this is on the back burner a bit for next 2 weeks. I'll try to get what I can done when I'm not working though. I'm out there like 10 hours so its kinda hard to get lunch, much less code :(

Here is how its going to go:

1. Stubs
2. Consts
3. Figure out an installer so you can boot flag 2.0.2 cameras since there is no downgrade.
If you already had ML it will be easy as the boot flag stays an you just update and get new bins.

Thanks and good luck!

gary2013

Rush

Sorry if I'm stating bug that is known:
Jun27 build, if I use fps override and it is not = 23.976 fps - it will produce black border from right side.
Greetings from Russia!

1%

Maybe the image shifts? I saw this on 6D early on. Skips would change with fps override. No point in messing with it too much as it might behave differently depending on what the new fw changed.

Rush

Quote from: 1% on July 19, 2013, 03:38:45 PM
Maybe the image shifts? I saw this on 6D early on. Skips would change with fps override. No point in messing with it too much as it might behave differently depending on what the new fw changed.
Just checked - no, it looks like overlay border (which is recorded too).
If I turn off to mode without border - border place become like pink "lightup/add/screen/you name it" semi-transparent overlay for a few seconds, slowly disappearing...

(sorry again if it is known but:)
little bug in latest experimental 3x crop-mode raw recording - in 3x crop mode it thinks that it need to be unsqueezed and sets wrong resolution (it don't need unsqueezing for real).
Greetings from Russia!

Henrik

Hello everyone!

I bought an Eos M about a month ago, upgrading from a 450D, mainly for the video feature. I found out about ML, and have been reading here pretty much daily ever since. Thank you for a great job!

I've done my homework, and I would say I understand most of the features provided by ML, with a few exceptions. And thats what Im about to ask about!

Ive searched the forum and the rest of the internet for how to capture HDR-video with the Eos M, without any result. Or am I just stupid?!
If someone could reveal this well hidden secret, I would be a very happy man.

Thanks in advance, and again, good job!

Henrik
Sweden

Digital Guy

Quote from: Henrik on July 20, 2013, 02:04:38 PM
Ive searched the forum and the rest of the internet for how to capture HDR-video with the Eos M, without any result.
If someone could reveal this well hidden secret, I would be a very happy man.

You'll see there is no stable release for the EOS-M. The latest Canon firmware 2.0.2 is installed with all new EOS-M sold so there's no Alpha build for it at the moment. I really like the HDR video feature as well as intervelometer function on my Canon 60D. I'm waiting with baited breath for the ML for the EOS-M ::)
Magic Lantern v2.3 installed on both Canon 60D's with 17-85 & 10-22 & 18-250mm lenses. Canon EOS-M EOSM-FD adapter. Crazy about HDR timelapse photography, I'm experimenting with HDR video and use Sony Vegas Pro 12 video editor and Photomatix Pro

Henrik

Quote from: Digital Guy on July 20, 2013, 03:36:12 PM
You'll see there is no stable release for the EOS-M. The latest Canon firmware 2.0.2 is installed with all new EOS-M sold so there's no Alpha build for it at the moment. I really like the HDR video feature as well as intervelometer function on my Canon 60D. I'm waiting with baited breath for the ML for the EOS-M ::)

I've got the old firware with the alpha build installed already. Sorry for being fuzzy.
I've found videos on Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDibGy8AVww ) showing HDR video footage shot with the Eos M, but I cant find anything about it in the ML menus, even though I've spent hours just trying out the different settings.
There are several youtube tutorials for how to shoot HDR video with ML, but none of them are for Eos M, and all of the others seem to have a "HDR video"-option under the movie tab in ML.

1%

HDR video option is there in the movie menu.

Henrik

Quote from: 1% on July 20, 2013, 05:12:01 PM
HDR video option is there in the movie menu.

I've got the following in the movie menu:
Bit Rate (CBR)
Time indicator
Movie logging
Movie restart
Stop recording
REC/STBY key
Shutter lock
Image effects...
FPS override
FPS ramping

:-\