Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmophoto

cool thanks,  cant wait to get the ML on the EOS M with 2.0.2 firmware

handbanana

Mine also came with 2.0.2 firmware. The expanded ISOs and some cropmarks are all I'd really really want. What would happen if I tried to install the older firmware onto an M with 2.0.2?

feureau

Quote from: handbanana on July 13, 2013, 02:59:01 AMWhat would happen if I tried to install the older firmware onto an M with 2.0.2?

You'll get arrested by the firmware police for version violation.

haomuch

Is that possible that we can disable the basic information display of ML over the stock UI while still keeps the peek focus or other functions display? I prefer the stock UI much more when it comes to showing the settings.

Michael L

I just received one of the $299 EOS-M's yesterday, and got it airborne on my kite aerial photography camera rig today! 

I was planning to trigger the camera with ML's intervalometer, but didn't realize that ML is not working with the new firmware version yet.  Luckily I was able to trigger via infrared remote.  Hoping ML is working with the EOS-M again soon!

Here's my first aerial keeper shot with the EOS-M earlier today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ml_kap/9276239883/

1%

Ok, I have the firmware so now just have to crunch it. First hurdle is gone tho.

handbanana

@1%: I just want you to know that I love and appreciate you so much. :3

feureau

Quote from: 1% on July 14, 2013, 01:23:49 AM
Ok, I have the firmware so now just have to crunch it. First hurdle is gone tho.

Hooray! :D

feureau

Quote from: Michael L on July 13, 2013, 11:06:13 PM
I just received one of the $299 EOS-M's yesterday, and got it airborne on my kite aerial photography camera rig today! 

I was planning to trigger the camera with ML's intervalometer, but didn't realize that ML is not working with the new firmware version yet.  Luckily I was able to trigger via infrared remote.  Hoping ML is working with the EOS-M again soon!

Here's my first aerial keeper shot with the EOS-M earlier today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ml_kap/9276239883/

Whoah! That's some really good shot. Mind sharing what your kite rig looks like? How far was it to still be able to trigger with the IR?

jaybean

Quote from: handbanana on July 14, 2013, 03:20:09 AM
@1%: I just want you to know that I love and appreciate you so much. :3

I second that!  Keep up the amazing work 1%!!

And Michael L, yes please do share more info about your kite rig.  I've thought of getting one for my s100 for some time, but now that I have the EOS M I'm even more interested in shooting photos and video from above!

I know this is a forum for the technical aspects of getting ML working on the EOS M, but it would be great to hear from any other people out there who are using their EOS M (with ML) for interesting purposes.  One of the main reasons I got it was to do more HDR timelapses with it and save the shutter on my 5D2 (shooting five exposures for each frame burns through your shutter pretty darn fast!).  To that end, I also bought the Sigma 12-24 full frame lens so I could use it for wider timelapses on the EOS M but also still use it on the 5D2.  Problem is I don't want to take it off my 5D2 because 12mm rectilinear on a full frame camera gets some AMAZING photos (and for the record it works great on the EOS M also).  Of course when they announced the EF-M 11-22 lens a week after I bought the 12-24, I was kicking myself, but since I'm so happy with the 12-24 on my 5D2 I think I'll also get the 11-22 specifically for timelapses on my EOS M, assuming I can get my hands on that lens.  It's supposed to start selling tomorrow in Japan (according to Yodobashi's website), but won't be sold or supported in North America according to CanonRumors.  DOH!  Canon has also stated that it may not work properly on the old 1.0.6 EOS M firmware, and will need the new 2.0.2 firmware to work properly.  Which brings me back to the original statement above about how much we all love and appreciate you 1%!!!!

Michael L

Thanks, guys!

Quote from: feureau on July 14, 2013, 05:51:25 AM
Whoah! That's some really good shot. Mind sharing what your kite rig looks like? How far was it to still be able to trigger with the IR?

The remote only had to travel about a millimeter....an LED coming out of a controller was velcroed right in front of the remote sensor.

Here's a photo of the rig with a NEX-5 on it.  Things have been swapped out and repositioned, but it is quite similar to this original configuration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyteman/5485199056/

Hey jaybean, can you post a link or two to your timelapses?

Yeah 1%, thank you so much for your efforts to get the EOS-M wired for all our creative uses!

feureau

That's a nice lookin' rig. Did you build it yourself? Or did you get it from somewhere? How does a kite handle the weight? (do you need a special kind of kite/line?)

mixer2

@1%:
can you tell me the exact vertical pixel offsets of the crop frame for the resolutions 1536x562 and 1600x576?
Sensor resolution is 5184×3456, so i guess they should be (3456-562)/2 = 1447 and (3456-576)/2 = 1440.
if i calculate the center for each resolution 1536/2 = 768, 562/2 = 281 => 768,281 and 1600/2 = 800, 576/2 = 288 => 800,288 and add the offsets, i should get the exact same sensor pixel, and that should be the one left top of the 4 center pixels (5184/2 = 2592, 3456/2 = 1728 => 2592,1728). if i use the calculated values it works: 281+1447 = 1728, 288+1440 = 1728.
but if i read the pixels from the dng it's 1 pixel vertically shifted. it seems that the vertical crop offset of 1600x576 is 1439 (instead of 1440) or the vertical crop offset of 1536x562 is 1448 (instead of 1447). can you check that and tell me which exact offsets are calculated in ml.

1%

The offsets have to be even, they may be different in crop mode. My plan is to re-check skips once new version is up and running.

mixer2

ah, ok, then i guess you round 1447 up to 1448, is that correct? i'll try that, thx!

EDIT:
it works... just finished a dot removal test for 73 different resolutions and they all do work perfect now.

Michael L

@Mixer2, thank you for your efforts also!  I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I can tell good progress is being made.

@feureau,  I had that particular camera rig made custom for me, since it had to be as lightweight as possible to be lifted by a 5-foot diameter helium balloon.  Regular camera rigs that are not as weight sensitive can be purchased as reasonably priced, easy to build kits here:  http://www.brooxes.com/newsite/BBKK/KITS.html

If you decide to try it, I recommend that you use a cheap, light Canon point and shoot that runs CHDK (such as the A2200 or A2300) before you send your EOS-M skyward  ;-)

Lots more info at the Kite Aerial Photography discussion forum:  http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/

feureau

1%

Crop mode toggle is in from nanomad but for some reason now I'm booting with a solid light. Bin from 6/27 works, compiling today doesn't.  :o

mixer2

the most recent version of the dot remover:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/77bkw4u9nh7dt4d/PinkDotRemover_2013_07_15.zip

@1%:
it would be great if camera model and if it's recorded in crop mode could be stored in the raw footer. maybe you can use some bits from reserved3 or reserved4? what are the reserved bits for? maybe this info should be generally added to the raw footer. at least the camera model would totally make sense to be stored in the meta information.

1%

Its supposed to be for silent DNG, guess not for raw video? Rawanizer seems to have the model.

EOSM in main is broken too, so not just me.

mixer2

The silent DNG contains the correct model, yes. But the raw video files doesn't contain the model information. Where does rawanizer get the model from? the raw footer contains:
magic, xRes, yRes, frameSize,  frameCount, frameSkip, sourceFpsx1000, reserved3, reserved4, raw_info
(https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/aa2ba85342faf956e8c85f514ca967ffb6f4a880/modules/lv_rec/lv_rec.h?at=unified)

char magic[4] is RAWM for all models. and raw_info contains:
api_version, buffer, height, width, pitch, frame_size, bits_per_pixel, black_level, white_level, crop (x, y, width, height), active_area (y1, x1, y2, x2), exposure_bias, cfa_pattern, calibration_illuminant1, color_matrix1, dynamic_range.
(https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/src/raw.h)

really don't know where i should get the info about model out of that meta data. and  both silent dng and raw doesn't contain any information if it's recorded in crop mode or not.

nanomad

Quote from: 1% on July 15, 2013, 02:28:53 AM
Its supposed to be for silent DNG, guess not for raw video? Rawanizer seems to have the model.

EOSM in main is broken too, so not just me.

We should really merge your changes then.  ::)
Either for the current fw or for the new 2.0.2
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Some commit since 6/27 broke it, I pulled it from main. I can still load the latest released version.

handbanana

You can load ML on 2.0.2? I tried using the firmware in the first post on this thread but it didn't work

fand4ngo

Quote from: handbanana on July 15, 2013, 08:15:06 PM
You can load ML on 2.0.2? I tried using the firmware in the first post on this thread but it didn't work

ML for 2.0.2 sounds close, but not released yet.   Be patient.  My EOS M arrived today with 2.0.2, so there's plenty of people in the same boat.

On that note, I would be happy to test a pre-release if that were available.  *wink wink*