Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

350D

Guys, i'm not sure, but did you made any research about dot removal via simple color overlay?
I have tried to create couple layers with different overlay modes here:

feureau

Quote from: 350D on July 07, 2013, 07:43:24 AM
Guys, i'm not sure, but did you made any research about dot removal via simple color overlay?
I have tried to create couple layers with different overlay modes here:

Novel idea, but it looks like it has black dots all over now. Maybe a less powerful overlay?

mixer2

@handbanana: i wouldn't have to much hope, that eos m will ever record clean raw video without crop. but i don't know... maybe 1% can say anything about that. maybe anything has changed with the new firmware?

@1%: i noticed, that af works with crop mode and even while raw recording. i really don't need it while recording, but it's quite handy before i start recording, since zoom doesn't work and that's the fastest way to get good initial focus. btw, you can only focus once while recording, then it won't work, until you stop the record, if anyone needs af while recording. my problem is, what i hated at the eos m af anyways, that the mixed auto+m focus mode doesn't allow manual focus, if you didn't let it do af first. so if i use af for initial focus i can't focus manually while recording. is there any way to change the behavior of that mode, that it always uses manual focus if you turn the focus ring. that would be great also for other situations... like the mz enables while turning the af ring it should also switch to manual focus.. and if you don't turn the focus ring for 2-3 secounds switch back to af+m. don't know if you can switch af mode and if it's possible to detect focus ring changes while not in manual focus mode.
another thing i noticed is that it is possible to record h.264 digitally zoomed in full time crop. that's really nice.

350D

Quote from: feureau on July 07, 2013, 09:25:02 AM
Novel idea, but it looks like it has black dots all over now. Maybe a less powerful overlay?

For better result i need original image (png24 for example) and dots map on black and white backgrounds. Anyone can help with that?

mixer2

what's wrong with the method of the dot removal tool for removing dots? if you need a dot map, you can directly use the dot grid data from the dot remover, if that helps:
https://github.com/Foorgol/PinkDotRemover/blob/master/dotData/EOSM_Crop.txt

first value is horizontal offset (center based), secound is vertical offset (center based), third is vertical limit (center based), fourth is horizontal step size and fifth is vertical step size. this grid data should work for video recordings in full time crop.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on July 04, 2013, 11:55:21 PM
The low contrast is better, I use marvels for H264 for that reason.. but increased range it is not.

The silent DNGs are nice for time lapse, etc. I figured they would be the easiest to do since its just 3 resolutions but I guess not.

Does shooting with HTP on Raw helps with DR?

mixer2

no it doesn't. the only effect you may get is underexposed footage. that's what htp does, underexposing and brighten shadows.

350D

Quote from: mixer2 on July 07, 2013, 03:50:35 PM
what's wrong with the method of the dot removal tool for removing dots?

The difference is that dot removal tool - interpolate nearest pixels (right?), that means data lost in this area. Overlay method use color data from real pixel. After that you can use interpolation only for center pixel, to restore red channel value (for red pixels).

mixer2

it's always just the center pixel. the 4 pixels around get distorted by demosaicing, if the wrong pixel isn't corrected before. and i don't think the center pixel does contain any useful data, does it?

350D

Quote from: mixer2 on July 07, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
it's always just the center pixel. the 4 pixels around get distorted by demosaicing, if the wrong pixel isn't corrected before. and i don't think the center pixel does contain any useful data, does it?

Can you send a real 1:1 photo with pixel grid to me? I thinking that red pixels contains real green and blue channels data.

mixer2

on bayer data each pixel contains only color information of one color channel.
what data do you exactly need? a dng file without removed dots?

350D

right, photo without removed dots.

350D

@Mixer2: can you please shoot something with a real world scene to control overlay/mask quality?
Thanks!

mixer2

oh, ok... thought taking a photo of a white surface is good, because the dots are very clear on that.
there are the new ones:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/xmq2n463udces23/with_dots_2.dng
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/attqx24gkkvrg88/without_dots_2.dng

hope they are correct now..

this is a mask of the dot grid the dot remover uses. the black pixels get interpolated. maybe this will help too.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/o3qe0i1swnp47i1/dot_mask_1536.png

millernet

Hi--sorry for the question, searched, but could not find the answer.

Just received the EOS-M and it had the new firmware--is it possible to revert to the older firmware so I can use ML?  If so, can someone point me to the download file?

feureau

Quote from: millernet on July 08, 2013, 04:19:23 PM
Hi--sorry for the question, searched, but could not find the answer.

Just received the EOS-M and it had the new firmware--is it possible to revert to the older firmware so I can use ML?  If so, can someone point me to the download file?

Someone mentioned that it's impossible to downgrade to the older firmware because canon doesn't provide downloads of the .fir.

However, I wonder if the firmware dumped to make the ML can be used for firmware upgrades? if so, the devs could provide you with that I guess. But I'd probably rather wait until they updated the alpha for the new firmware.

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

feureau

That's a really good deal. I suppose the next iteration of the EOS-M is coming out in a short while, then.

EDIT: Welp, the next post on CR pretty much speculate that, also:

QuoteAlso in development is a focal length reducer for EF lenses, this will be announced with the 20mp EOS M camera.

... wait, a speed booster-like adapter? HOLY SHIT! WANT!

DavidFell

Oh, and although Amazon said the $299 EOS M would ship in 6 to 8 weeks when I ordered it Sunday, UPS already has it, and it will be in my hands tomorrow.

jstanley0

just received my $299 EOS M, which shipped with firmware 2.0.2.

I want to perch this thing on my telescope and take some wide-sky astrophotos with the 22mm f/2 lens, and ML's intervalometer and bulb control are just what I need.

Is there anything I can do to help port ML to the new firmware?  I contributed a few commits to the ELPH 300 HS port of CHDK, so I have a little (hopefully related) experience.

haomuch

Is it possible to support eyefi card in the next version? I don't understand why it's not supported since the eyefi card just work within its own internal control parts and only needs the camera provide the battery.

tmophoto

would love to see a super basic firmware for 2.0.2 cameras that has timelapse, focus peaking and bulb control

Hope you guys can decode the new firmware or someone finds a way to get the old firmware on the new cameras.

super interested if someone can get usb camera control to work.  the lack of a proper remote is a huge drawback that i had not realized before buying the camera last week.

is there any way to get the camera to function in intervalometer mode with the rear screen off?

1%

My rear screen turns off and it keeps taking pictures.

As for eye-fi, if you can boot flag the card then it will work. I don't exactly have a card to try.