Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1drey

Quote from: mixer2 on July 04, 2013, 07:21:21 PM

@1drey:
what exactly do you want to do? simple remote triggering? you can trigger eos m via ir remote. there is afaik no way to remote control via pc, tablet, smartphone, etc. and there is also no way to trigger via cable... not without serious modification of the camera.
ml has some features like motion detection and trap focus. i don't know if they are available on eos m so far and i doubt that they fit your needs, because they are very special.

Unfortunately ir remote is not very reliable unless you keep a transmitter very close to the sensor
I plan to use EOS M as a travel/backup camera for shooting spherical panoramas - sometimes the photographer can significantly influence the light making the subsequent stitching of panoramas problematic, or camera can be mounted on the top of the high pole... I use radio trigger with my main camera 5DMkII and find it necessary feature...

mixer2

hurm... don't know, but radio trigger may work with eos m. i don't see any reason why the hotshoe shouldn't support it...
one of the first google results say it does support, but ... don't know if it's trustable.
http://www.lightandmatter.org/2012/equipment-reviews/canon-eos-m-new-canon-eos-mirrorless-system/

if you have a radio trigger anyways just try it, as soon as your eosm arrived... i think there is a good chance that it just works.

lofty

Hmmm this is interesting, I am hoping that when ML comes out for 2.0.2 for the EOS M, I will use the intervalometer setting to take photos for time lapse.

Is this not possible then ?

mixer2

intervalometer does work on eos m... if that is what you need, it should work for you.

@1%: i still never got any black screen with the full time crop mode btw. even after accidentally activating in photo mode or switching to photo mode while it's activated. is there any reason to leave the full time crop mode, except for h.264 video recordings?

1%

Its fine going between photo/video. Might be luck if it didn't cause problems starting it in photo mode.

720P mode will black it out for sure.

mixer2

ok... nice. i'm not often in 720p anyways... rarely need more than 25fps...
any more detailed information, why you don't think that flat profiles increase dynamic range?

daemorhedron

Great work guys, I'm a bit of a geek and hope that I can help out in some fashion (just reading docs/apis/source now, be a while before I can really contribute) but I admit I sure hope to get remote control/tethered shooting working.

1%

Because they don't, they just lift your shadows a bit. They are applied after the data is lost already in the chain (post 8 bit conversion). Still not bad to use but you're not really gaining anything.

BTW, pink dot didn't work on this series:

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=AlGJJSBsG

mixer2

it is 8bit and there is data lost already... but if you increase the contrast before you get it out of the camera, you'll lose even more information.

the dng is a silent dng, isn't it? still had no time to fix the silent dngs. there is something wrong with the calculation because of the frame skip. all video dngs should work, i planned to do the silent dng at the weekend. but... i'll check if i can do it now ;)

1%

The low contrast is better, I use marvels for H264 for that reason.. but increased range it is not.

The silent DNGs are nice for time lapse, etc. I figured they would be the easiest to do since its just 3 resolutions but I guess not.

mixer2

silent dngs do use the active area, which the video frames don't. they should be easy to support (they do work for 650d), but the active area just confused me. i got even more confused by the term "frame skip" since i thought about skipped video frames.
since the calculation of the dots is center based and the active area crop is not, it has to be corrected with the correct offset. is not really complicated at all, was just my fault -.-

EDIT:
try this one for silent dngs (select EOSM not EOSM_Crop from the dropdown):
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j727o0iaho4i3vd/EOSM.txt

i'll add it to the repository tomorrow.

handbanana

So as someone thinking about getting an EOS M...

Where does it stand in terms of the RAW video capabilities? I skimmed through and saw it has a faster write speed than my 60D, so I'm excited to at least get 1280x720 or crop versions of this resolution in RAW. Is this already possible or does it seem likely in the near future?

Thanks y'all!

1%

1280x720 should work in crop mode and not be all stretched. 6D can handle this, I only tried the 30Mb/s card in EOSM.

mixer2

@1%:
did the new dot removal data work for you?

@handbanana:
i can upload you some sample data later if you like?

lofty

Quote from: mixer2 on July 04, 2013, 08:45:25 PM
intervalometer does work on eos m... if that is what you need, it should work for you.

Cheers, I will wait for the 2.0.2 firmware version then :)

handbanana

@mixer2: That would be awesome, thanks! EOS M is on sale now, so if I can get better continuous RAW than the 60D (960 wide) for $300 I'd be pretty happy :3

1%

The dot remover worked. The files I have are clean now. Failed on just marking the pixels but interpolate worked great.

nanomad

@1% You can extract the ROM from the .fir, no need to upgrade your camera. You can ask the usual guy for help :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

GizmoWu

Thank you all so much for working on the ML software. As a new owner of the EOS M, this camera is awesome with the new firmware upgrade. I don't do as much video as you all do in a professional mode, however, I do more photography. If you are taking requests from photographers, I would like to ask for these features.

1) More shot options for auto bracketing. Currently, you are limited to 3. Having 5 or 7 would be great.
2) Increasing the bracketing EV range from +-2 to +-3 or more
3) Create a function where you can prevent accident menu changes from touches to the screen. This is an annoying flaw.

Thanks!

mixer2

@Canon eos m:
i found some time to create the screencast for you. most is simply the same as in all the other ml raw workflow videos on youtube, but there are 2 steps that may help you especially.
1. it shows how to remove dots
2. it shows how to scale it to 1080p in after effects
one problem is, that i accidentally didn't record the mouse cursor. i usually don't do screencasts on windows, so i didn't know the screencast software. i hope it's understandable anyways. the other thing is, that i recorded it without sound. but i'll write you a description here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9tetcfem6qb43nz/post_processing_dotremoval_ae_neatvideo.webm

1. droped the raw video onto raw2dng.exe to extract the dngs (i canceled it after 76 frames to keep the video short)
2. moved the raw out of the dng directory
3. opened the first frame to show that there are dots
4. opened the dot removal tool and added the files to the list
5. changed the dropdown in dot remover to EOSM_Crop
6. got sure, that mode is "interpolate"
7. converted files (it shows an error for the last frame, this is because i interrupted the dng extraction at frame 76 before... it wasn't completly extracted)
8. removed the old dngs (with dots), all files without "_" prefix in the directory
9. showed that the new first frame doesn't has dots anymore
10. opened after effects
11. imported multiple files (selected the first dng)
12. whitebalance in camera raw (camera raw opens automatically while importing dng to after effects)
13. clicked onto done to close the import dialog
14. created new composition
15. changed composition settings to my target resolution. (lock aspect ratio has to be disabled)
16. dragged the edge of the video to match the size of the new composition (hold shift while dragging to keep aspect ratio)
17. added neat video
18. opened neat video options
19. selected an area where neat video should create a profile from. that way wouldn't lead to the best results, you should do noise profiles for different iso values with extra footage and then just use them instead of creating a new noise profile. but if no noise profile is available this should work to.
20. adjusted noise filter settings... i do a lot of sharpening with the noise filter... just try which way of sharpening works best for you
21. added unsharpen mask to do even more sharpening
22. added levels and curves to increase contrast, midtones and light in dark areas
23. added a photo filter to bringt back a bit more of the pinkish tone of the down going sun
24. checked the video and noticed the wrong frame rate.
25. changed composition options again to match the correct frame rate.

hope this helps you to get dotless and noiseless videos in post ;)

@handbanana:
i tried to create some demo videos for you yesterday, but after work it was to late and to dark.. the videos just sucked ;)
i'll do some demo stuff now and upload it for you in few hours.
the main problem with raw video on eosm is the extreme crop... so i doubt, that it may be more usable than 60d. the faster sd controller let you record more pixels, but you're limited to the tele range. and the quality of 100% crops is just not as good as properly downscaled data.

handbanana

@mixer2:

Thanks I appreciate it! Why exactly is the M limited to extreme crop? Isn't it basically a 650D in a smaller body anyways? I just ordered one yesterday b/c at $300 it seemed a no-brainer as a 3rd camera, but I've also been harboring hope that it would make a decent upgrade in the RAW video department (a used 50D seemed a good option also but useless for anything besides films).

What are the chances that this could be fixed in the future? At 40mb/s we should theoretically get at least 720p RAW video (even if cinemascope cropped) which would be enough for me since upscaled 720p looks almost as sharp as the 1080p (as per tests on my 60D).

Anyways, thanks again, and sorry for the questions, I'm joining the EOS M party pretty late.

mixer2

if you record video with eos m without crop mode you'll get very unclean edges. there is an example video h.264 first, then raw.
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/lincex5op3relr7/dotremoval.mp4
there are imho 2 reasons that cause this problem:
1. you get less vertical resolution than horizontal and has to strech it vertically
2. the way the 18megapixels get scaled down to the ~2 megapixels used for video isn't high quality. i think they just skip the pixels they don't need, instead of any interpolation

today i did some new shots... they really suck, because i focused on doing shots with the different settings, instead of what i shoot. but... it's good enough to judge quality, imho.
here's the description why i added that setting to the demo video, for each setting:
1. h.264 normal 18mm, to compare the angle of view to 18mm crop
2. there it is... 18mm crop that's how it's magnified at crop mode
3. raw 1280x662. that's the closest you can get to 720p for continuous recording
4. raw 1600x576. this is imho one of the best resolutions for raw recording. it doesn't has to be as much upscaled as the 1280x662 and has an acceptable aspect ratio
5. 1728x496. the highest horizontal resolution you can get. to get continuous recording the aspect ratio is very extreme... but it shows what the maximum quality is.
6. again h.264 18mm for angle of view comparison
7. h.264 55mm to compare the angle of view, sharpness and dof to 18mm crop
8. h.264 18mm crop
9. h.264 55mm and crop mode

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/06dgg2nfkqa0jgf/raw_h264_comparison.mp4

hope this helps you to judge the quality you can get and if raw video on eos m makes sense for you. if you want any raw files directly from the camera, just tell me which ones, then i'll upload it.

handbanana

@mixer2: Wow thanks for the videos! I see that the resolution you recommend seems to be the best bet, how extreme is the crop on the M? Is it a 1:1 crop?

mixer2

the 18mp are 5184x3456 and the magification is bit more than factor 3 (18mm on crop is bit closer than 55mm without, as you can see in the videos), so i guess it is just a 100% crop, yes. then the factor should theoretically be 3,24 with 1600x576. and exactly 3 with 1728.
the more often i watch the video the more i like the 1728x496 :D the aspect ratio is extreme... but it really looks clean and sharp... compared to h.264 the 1600x576 is also much sharper, but it's just not as clean as the 1728... hurm have to do more videos with both resolutions and check which one i like more.

handbanana

They both looked really nice. Too bad for that crop, although I'm sure there will be useful moments for it. Hopefully we can get the non-crop to not be all stretched, or does that seem impossible?