Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Yea, it seems to do that. Straight to cineform... if I have those colored outlines on 6D they pop up.. if I do it with DNG and use process 2003 or 2012 its much less noticeable.

mixer2

ah, the dot remover tool doesn't work with RAWanizer so far. have to talk to foorgol if he plans to add support or if i should. it will just work with the raw2dng tool so far.
RAWnizer is only available for windows? anyone knows if it will work with wine? i'll try later, what exactly the difference between the RAWnizer and raw2dng DNG files is and how much work it is to make the dot remover compatible.
until then try raw2dng => dot remover => after effects.

1%

Rawanizer is a batch processor... processes .RAW to dng w/dcraw/raw2dng.. or straight to cineform... or dng -> video.

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on July 01, 2013, 05:53:55 PM
ah, the dot remover tool doesn't work with RAWanizer so far. have to talk to foorgol if he plans to add support or if i should. it will just work with the raw2dng tool so far.
RAWnizer is only available for windows? anyone knows if it will work with wine? i'll try later, what exactly the difference between the RAWnizer and raw2dng DNG files is and how much work it is to make the dot remover compatible.
until then try raw2dng => dot remover => after effects.

Footage direct from RAWanizer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp4ekaiug4in9cr/M29-1605.proxy.mp4
Footage RAW2DNG: After Effects: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf55x94j1wpcux9/M.mp4
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mixer2

can you upload the raw file you directly get from camera?

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mixer2

thx, i'll play with that, just to see how much quality i can get out of it.
is a nice comparison of different workflows.

Still have to look at the RAWanizer output images. Thought that it's the same tool than anyone had problems with in the dot removal tool thread, but that was RAWMagic. foorgol added support for 16bit DNG from RAWMagic last night. Maybe this will help with RAWanizer also.

1%: can you send me a dng you had problems with to remove dots?

EDIT @Canon eos m:
i've tested your footage and dot removal works great with it. here is the first frame before and after:

complete video (color corrected, upscaled to 1080p, denoised, sharpened, some saturation added). complete workflow:
raw2dng -> dot remover -> import to aftereffects (only whitebalance in cameraraw) -> noise filter -> sharpening -> brightened dark areas via levels -> added some saturation:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/snzo2b7o0urjy43/canon_eos_m_test_video.mp4

your footage was quite soft, shaky and noisy. what were your camera settings and wich lense? looks like very high aperture... like 22 (=> softness) 1600 iso (because of the high aperture => noise) and 22mm (=> no IS => shaky).
i really hope that the softness is because of the camera settings and not caused by the 100% crop of the raw video. have to find some time to do a testvideo.

feureau

Btw, is anyone working on putting ML on the 2.0.2 firmware? :P

funkysound

Quote from: feureau on July 02, 2013, 01:05:33 PM
Btw, is anyone working on putting ML on the 2.0.2 firmware? :P

Good question- I´m still acting with 1.0.6 because I need zebra and focus peak all the time but would love to have the faster focus too. Anyway - the day will come I guess. :)
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

Canon eos m

Quote from: funkysound on July 02, 2013, 01:42:54 PM
Good question- I´m still acting with 1.0.6 because I need zebra and focus peak all the time but would love to have the faster focus too. Anyway - the day will come I guess. :)

Me too. I was dying to get me hands on the 2.0.2 update but refuse to give up on the benefits that ML brings - especially Exposure Override.

feureau

Quote from: Canon eos m on July 02, 2013, 01:51:10 PM
I was dying to get me hands on the 2.0.2 update but refuse to give up on the benefits that ML brings

Yeah, me too... that af speed looks great though

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on July 02, 2013, 10:59:13 AM
thx, i'll play with that, just to see how much quality i can get out of it.
is a nice comparison of different workflows.

Still have to look at the RAWanizer output images. Thought that it's the same tool than anyone had problems with in the dot removal tool thread, but that was RAWMagic. foorgol added support for 16bit DNG from RAWMagic last night. Maybe this will help with RAWanizer also.

1%: can you send me a dng you had problems with to remove dots?

EDIT @Canon eos m:
i've tested your footage and dot removal works great with it. here is the first frame before and after:

complete video (color corrected, upscaled to 1080p, denoised, sharpened, some saturation added). complete workflow:
raw2dng -> dot remover -> import to aftereffects (only whitebalance in cameraraw) -> noise filter -> sharpening -> brightened dark areas via levels -> added some saturation:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/snzo2b7o0urjy43/canon_eos_m_test_video.mp4

your footage was quite soft, shaky and noisy. what were your camera settings and wich lense? looks like very high aperture... like 22 (=> softness) 1600 iso (because of the high aperture => noise) and 22mm (=> no IS => shaky).
i really hope that the softness is because of the camera settings and not caused by the 100% crop of the raw video. have to find some time to do a testvideo.

@Mixer2 - You have to teach me this stuff  ... all of it.

I will keep an eye on the camera next time ... for the shake and the rest.

This time the lens was 22mm f2.0. I have the Sigma 35mm f1.4; the Canon 24-105mm f4.0; the Minolta 50mm f1.2 (manual focus); the Canon 28mm f2.8; the Canon 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 (EOS M version). Which one would be best considering that the sensor is 1.6X and the crop is magnified. I guess the 18-55 or 24-105 should be good for the job.

Please teach me how to upscale to 1080p and also to use RAWMagic. Is the workflow for RAWMagic similar to that of RAWnizer? Is there no way to get this done with RAWnizer since I really love the interface. One of the easiest I have used in a long time. 

Will shoot another video tomorrow or maybe dayafter. Send you the RAW to play with while I learn how to remove the dots using RAWMagic. 

Right now my tools are:

Photoshop RAW Version 8.1 - learing how to use it
After Effects CS 6.1 - super learing how to get the best from it
RAWnizer 0.5.0 - Cannot live without it
Resolve Davinci Resolve 9 Lite (free download from the Blackmagic website) - learing how to play with it
Handbrake - use it to resize the videos for youtube

Super loving the whole experience. Don't understand the technical stuff 1% and you talk about but just wait when you guys come out with stuff that is easy to use and I just grab it.

feureau

Quote from: Canon eos m on July 02, 2013, 03:19:04 PM
This time the lens was 22mm f2.0. I have the Sigma 35mm f1.4; the Canon 24-105mm f4.0; the Minolta 50mm f1.2 (manual focus); the Canon 28mm f2.8; the Canon 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 (EOS M version). Which one would be best considering that the sensor is 1.6X and the crop is magnified. I guess the 18-55 or 24-105 should be good for the job.

Go with the 18-55 IS STM. The IS helps the shake.

Canon eos m

@Mixer2 - I cannot use the RAWMagic.dmg on my windows PC! Is there any place where I could get hold of a windows compliant version of RAWMagic?

RAWanizer still remains my best bet. However, dots remain an issue and there is no way to get rid of these with RAWanizer, RAW2dng, etc.

The crop magification does not appeal to me. So, I now record most of my video on picture mode with the Menu button. This gives me a better buffer and the real actual magification of 1.6X. Is there any way to turn off the crop on video mode?

whatever7

Hello, first time poster here.

I just got a EOS M for cheap.

What I want to know is can I install this alpha firmware and get time lapse function?  Whats the shortest internal for time lapse photo in manual everything mode, 1 second?

Thanks for you reply.  I am farely familiar with CHDK so hopeful ML is not harder to installer than CHDK.

mixer2

@Canon eos m: sorry, had no time to write you a detailed description how to remove dots etc. you really don't have to use rawmagic. i haven't tried RAWanizer so far, but if it can convert to dng via raw2dng, like 1% said, it should work just fine. else just try to convert it with the raw2dng.exe. just drag your raw file and drop it onto the raw2dng.exe file. this should give you working dng files. to remove dots download the latest dot removal tool:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22843507/MagicLantern/PinkDotRemover_debug.zip
you just have to unzip the file. if you've already installed java jre it should start if you doubleclick on the PinkDotRemover.jar. if it doesn't start and windows tells you, that it doesn't know how to open the file then install java jre and try again (http://www.java.com/de/download/).
in the dot remover tool click on "add files" and select all the dng files (no other files, just the dngs). select from the dropdown "EOSM" if you've not recorded in full time crop (everything you get without clicking on "don't click me" in the latest ml version). if you've recorded in full time crop mode select "EOSM_crop". then just click on "convert files". after the conversion you'll find for each dng file another one with a "_" prepended. in that files the dots should be gone. if one of the converted dngs still contains dots send it to me with the information if you selected "EOSM" or "EOSM_crop" and i'll check what's wrong.
the most simple postprocessing is to just load the dngs directly into after effects. it will automatically open cameraraw as you add the files. it's a good idea to do the whitebalance in cameraraw and do all other postprocessing in after effects. the most important thing in after effects is to add a noise filter, because raw data is always noisy, even with iso 100. i really like neat video. it's not free, but you can download a free demo version to check if it fits your needs. but there are also a lot of other good free noise filters out there.
next thing is the upscaling. open the composition settings and set it to width 1920 and height 1080 for a 1080p video. after that you'll see a black border around your video, because it's smaller than the composition. just drag the edge of the video to fit the width of the composition (no black borders at the left and the right). hold shift while dragging to keep the correct aspect ratio.
after that you've a solid base for all the other postprocessing. just play with colors, saturation, levels, curves, sharpening, etc. i can do a short screencast if this may help you.
about the lenses... as feureau said the ef-m 18-55 IS STM is nice, because it has IS. you should use IS lenses if you don't shoot with a tripod. the 24-105 also has IS and is one of the most used lenses for dslr video. but seriously it's just to large for the eos m in most cases. if you've such a large and heavy lense with you, you can also use your primary camera. if you use the 22mm without tripod you'll get shaky video.

about the crop... yes, the extra crop does suck. with the 18mm you've a slightly narrower field of view than with 55mm and much more dof. but in all other modes you can't get high quality raw video from the eos m so far. i think it just doesn't make any sense to record raw video in any other mode than full time crop at the moment. you won't get better results than with h.264 in the normal mode. the only reason may be if you really need the extra dynamic range. but you can also get some extra dynamic range with a flat profile.

1%

Quoteextra dynamic range with a flat profile.

Well more like an illusion of extra dynamic range.

Maybe the new firmware will help some of this, nanomad was supposed to upgrade his M and then maybe I'll finally get a dump.

350D

Quote from: 1% on July 03, 2013, 11:36:32 PMMaybe the new firmware will help some of this, nanomad was supposed to upgrade his M and then maybe I'll finally get a dump.

I'm on 2.0.2 right now and i can help with testing if needed.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on July 03, 2013, 11:36:32 PM
nanomad was supposed to upgrade his M and then maybe I'll finally get a dump.

Yay! \o/

lofty

Hi,

If I have 2.0.2 firmware version will the current version of Magic Lantern work ? 

funkysound

Quote from: lofty on July 04, 2013, 03:22:52 PM
Hi,

If I have 2.0.2 firmware version will the current version of Magic Lantern work ?

No - you have to wait till 2.0.2 is supported. We all hope it wont take long.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

lofty

cheers for the reply, thanks

Canon eos m

@mixer2 - got the neat video plug-in but cannot get it to work. a screencast would be welcome.

1drey

Hello everyone, my first post here  - I just ordered an EOS M :)
Sorry if my question will sound stupid.

Is there any option to trigger EOS M without getting into guts and soldering wires? Can it be done with the aid of software modification (through ML)? 

Thank you!

mixer2

@1%: i don't think that it's just an illusion of more dynamic range, because i definitely got better results with flat profile than without it.
and it also does totally make sense. if you add contrast to an image, it streches the values to get a higher difference. on an image that already uses the hole range some values at the borders go beyond the limits. and that information is lost. and canon does add a lot of contrast by default, since the videos look more appealing straight out of the camera, if they are contrasty. and that's also what i see on the histogram when i do a video in same conditions with flat profile and with standard profile. when there are already a lot of pixels under- and overexposed with standard profile i'm still in the range with flat profile.
can you explain, why you exactly think, that it's just an illusion?

@canon eos m:
i'll do a screencast tomorrow.

@1drey:
what exactly do you want to do? simple remote triggering? you can trigger eos m via ir remote. there is afaik no way to remote control via pc, tablet, smartphone, etc. and there is also no way to trigger via cable... not without serious modification of the camera.
ml has some features like motion detection and trap focus. i don't know if they are available on eos m so far and i doubt that they fit your needs, because they are very special.