Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haomuch

Quote from: feureau on June 29, 2013, 10:19:47 AM
Low level format the card.

Thanks for the reply but I mean the bootflag in the camera. It can't be restored by formatting the card.

Escaperoute

1% can you please upload the latest version for EOS-M after reading this thread for a while i don't know which one is the most stable and which one to use with firmware 2.0.2. And can you please explain the work flow for removing red dots. Thanks u in advance

mixer2

Quote from: Escaperoute on June 29, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
1% can you please upload the latest version for EOS-M after reading this thread for a while i don't know which one is the most stable and which one to use with firmware 2.0.2. And can you please explain the work flow for removing red dots. Thanks u in advance

there is no version for 2.0.2 so far. if you have updated your camera you've to wait till there is support for 2.0.2.
you find the latest versions at (it's ordered chronological):
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/

at the moment there is a newer version, which is not listed there, because it's a bit dangerous to use it. if you want to try read this post:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg55591#msg55591

for dot removal read this topic:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.0

the dot remover version you find in this post is the most recent and should work for you (you need to have java installed):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.msg55693#msg55693

if you use the latest (dangerous) version in full time crop mode (which you're in after hitting "don't click me") you've to download the dot removal data for this mode (only for vertical resolutions <= 652px so far):
https://raw.github.com/mixer2/PinkDotRemover/DngFreeGrid/dotData/EOSM_Crop.txt

this file has to be placed in the dotData directory of the dotremover you downloaded before. then you have the new option "EOSM_Crop" in the dropdown. So for full time crop use this option to remove dots and for all other modes use "EOSM".

1%

I think there are dots at 10X/5x too.. I wast testing the crop/zoom and there they are. The 5x looks slightly further than crop @ 2kx1k. Module needs an exception for crop mode to stop unsqueezing.

Escaperoute

Thanks for your fast reply...

mixer2

the dots aren't really a problem. the detail loss caused by removing dots is minimal. they look worse than they are, because a single af dot causes distortion in 5 dots after demosaicing, but just the information of the single pixel is really lost.
the clean edges are the most important thing imho. but i think that less crop = more edge distortion. the fast way the image is scaled down (by just skipping lines) is fatal for quality. and the loss in vertical resolution because of the squeeze makes it even worse.
does anyone know how canon solves that with h.264. do they use other data to encode h.264 or is it just a postprocessing thing?
would love to see a version with less crop and the quality of the full time crop mode. but... the full time crop mode is already really nice.

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on June 29, 2013, 01:48:51 PM
one part of the video from yesterday with complete postprocessing. removed dots, noisefilter, sharpening, saturation, etc
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/r6rw17td3w4v2s9/with_post.mp4
you can see the hair on the flys legs. it's filmed at a distance where it was hard to see the fly at all.
it's the first time i really got imho usable result with eos m raw video. the only thing that i don't like is the ghosting effect of the flower, but i think this is caused by the lense. shouldn't have anything to do with raw video. but of course it wouldn't be as much visible if it wouldn't be filmed at 100% crop.
have to try what's possible with a real macro shot.

@Canon eos m: is this already in the dng, before you load them to AF?

@1%: is there a reason why it doesn't record exactly 16:9 in full time crop mode? it says that it has to be streched by 1.16%, but that doesn't look correct.

Awesome! Never know the EOS M was capable of such high quality video!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

jaybean

Quote from: jerrykil on June 28, 2013, 08:15:09 PM
Dear Great Intelligencies (nice one, feureau) and stuff,

So, about that 18-55mm shutter bug. I was finally able to reproduce it while trying to take a pciture with ML installed with one of the most recent autoexec.bins. Basically you hit the shutter release, the camera focuses, the rectangle turns green, but then nothing happens and your friends get really annoyed with you. In order to take the shot and avoid pissing off my subjects even further, I had to set the bootflag off. With ML off, everything shot fine. I'm not sure if anyone had described this bug like this before. Lens FW: 2.0.0 Camera FW: 1.0.6. It worked fine for a long time before. Maybe its some sort of config bug. I tried turning off ML functions to get it to work, but I had no luck.

Thanks for reading,
Jerry

I've experiencing the same problem with the 18-55 lens.  I bought my EOS M with 22 prime here in China about a month ago and installed ML on it right away, have shot lots of timelapses and HDRs with no problems on 22 prime lens and other Canon lenses mounted with adapter.  Then last week I bought the 18-55 (got it for about $75 new... gotta love Taobao.com!) and when I went to take my first picture nothing happened!  My first reaction was that I had been sent a fake lens, then I remembered someone mentioning a bug here on the EOS M forum.  So I erased ML off the card and sure enough the lens worked fine.  I was using the June 10 "[EOSM] Check unsquee.zip" build.  I just reinstalled ML with the June 15 "[EOSM] BugfixNewSystem.zip", but my 18-55 doesn't work with that either.  My lens and camera FW are same as Jerry's: 2.0.0 and 1.0.6.

A few quick questions:
1) How do you turn the bootflag off?  I'm assuming this allows me to keep ML on the card but not boot the camera with it so that I can use the 18-55, right?
2) How likely is it that there will be a version of ML released for the new 2.0.2 firmware?  Will this possibly fix the bug?
3) How do guys like 1% and mixer2 handle being such badasses?  Seriously guys, you are awesome!!

Thanks to everyone who has made the EOS M port possible.  You've given my poor, undersized camera a massive p***s enlargement, and I'm enjoying strutting him around town!

haomuch

If you have not upgraded to the 2.0.2 version firmware, you can just flash the ml again the turn of the boot flag.

I am also eagerly waiting for the 2.0.2 version ml that could support eyefi card.

mixer2

there is a new dot removal testversion special for full time crop mode. all video resolutions should work with that version. however you can't remove dots from silent dng pics, because of wrong meta data in that files.
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/f3uj5ttwwuvind6/PinkDotRemover_eosm_full_time_crop.zip

there is no support for the non crop mode in that version, since the quality isn't usable anyways. but i'll update that data soon, if anyone may need it. until then the old version, with support for normal mode, should work, too.

@1%:
if i take a silent dng pic in full time crop i get wrong meta data. image size is 1798x1028 and meta data says 1872x1060. can anyone confirm that?
it would be nice if you could check that.

1%

Hmm, thats weird, says is 1798... maybe this is from the unsqueeze.. .I'll check in a sec. Would be nice if it was larger. Also frame skips... they look right but are they.

Yea, thats frame skips... the other part is blak.. 1028+28 skip = 1056

1798 + skip = 1872

mixer2

are the skip values in the meta data?

ah found it... okey, meta info is correct... it just used the normal width and height, instead of active area for calculations.

Canon eos m

New video: purposely downsized to upload on you tube: http://youtu.be/Qsu9v4aghXs

Tried to hide the pink dots using the Adobe Raw but could only succeed up to a point. Am getting better at the workflow though. Must admit that I try to follow the discussion between you both (Mixer2 and 1%) but cannot understand much.

Having fun learning new stuff nonetheless!

Thanks.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

The previous file did not upload since the file size was more than 4GB. Redone the size and upload can be found here:

http://youtu.be/3-mmPzQc0DE

Canon eos m

the video looks nice on my comp but horrible on youtube - will keep that in mind next time!

mixer2

the topic stays much more readable if you modify your post, instead of posting multiple in a row.

why is the video downscaled to such a low resolution? you may just upload the file to any cloud storage service like dropbox, to keep the quality as it is.

Canon eos m

Any place where I could learn to do that? The full file is about 48MB.

mixer2

lern how to upload to a cloud storage service? they are really easy to use, just google for "google drive", "dropbox", "box.com", "microsoft skydrive" or something like that.

Canon eos m

done already. have a dropbox account now. the file is loading on the dropbox server. will send the link once done. cheers!

Canon eos m

Canon eos m

mixer2

it may be a good idea to upscale it and then do some resharpening, etc. and you should do some noise filtering.
is there a reason, why you haven't removed the dots?

but the flat look you can get with the raw is just nice...

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on July 01, 2013, 11:45:58 AM
it may be a good idea to upscale it and then do some resharpening, etc. and you should do some noise filtering.
is there a reason, why you haven't removed the dots?

but the flat look you can get with the raw is just nice...

not sure how to remove dots or upscale. any links to learn from?

1%

Yea, it didn't seem to work when I used pink dot remover. Dots were still there on a full sized crop still.

Canon eos m

Hi,

I noticed that a very weird thing while rendering:

When I render using the "Generate video with selected RAW processor" on RAWanizer ver 0.5.0, I get these huge pink dots across the screen.

But, when I render using the "Only extract dng from RAW" on RAWanzer and then combine the stills on After Effects CS6, magically, the dots are much smaller - much more invisible to the naked eye. 

Will post samples once the rendering is done.