Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixer2

@1%: forgool created a repository for the pink dot removal tool at https://github.com/Foorgol/PinkDotRemover
i made a pull request for the eos m dot removal data. only the resolutions 1734x695 and 1600x542 are working so far, we still discuss how to support all resolutions without defining the data for each seperatly.
that all the 100 DNGs have any kind of distortion is what i already wrote some posts above. but i still think that it may worth to give the raw type with the dots all over the image, but only on red and blue pixels, a chance. can you upload me a version with that raw type enabled? oh... for that raw type the name PinkDotRemover wasn't the best choice ;)
any news about the model name in the dng header? would be nice if it wouldn't be necessary to choose the model from a dropdown in the dot removal tool.

jimijam

The new EOS-M Firmware is now out ! (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit?selectedName=DriversAndSoftware)

Can someone(?) confirm if there'll be any risk installing this new Canon FW directly onto a camera that has ML on it? Do I need to uninstall ML first, or will the new firmware wipe it out (safely) during the upgrade?

Thanks

EDIT:
Flash went OK but you'll need to nuke your card that has ML on it (I used a 2nd blank card).

1%

Well it will keep the boot flag which is good... but you should make your card not bootable and be aware there is no update for ML yet. I don't know if there is an older firmware to downgrade with either.

jimijam

^^ yup looks like the boot flag is still set and your card with ML on it won't work, but the camera's fine.

mixer2

oh, i checked again and silent dng does say "Canon EOS M" in meta... but not dngs generated from raw video. don't know if it's missing in the raw video information, or if raw2dng does just ignore it.

1%

I fixed this today.. .I think it needed some config function set. Didn't seem to be writing otherwise. Dunno if it will show in movie.

But... aparently eos M has a 120fps path and some other debug functions I'm trying now.

hpi

look forward to Magic Lantern update for EOS M 2.0.2 firmware  :) :) :)

1%

That has to be decrypted/decompiled first. Hopefully soonish.

I'm able to use 60fps in photo mode LV.

I have enabled full time crop mode in EOS-M.. 24fps native.. no more stupidity. Raw image is full sized too. Only 55M tho... fuck.

Also... guess where the fun starts... if you do this while in a bad mode.. ie photo mode or 1080p you fuck the camera and have to clear all settings.

The dots are MUCH tinier in this mode.

feureau

Wait, are you saying you can record at 60fps in photo mode?

1%

Yea.. but raw only and write speed is you know... but I can also record full sized raw 24p in video mode now. It needs more help so you don't have to clear your settings and something broke MZ so I have to fix it.

No more squish either.. just limited by write speed. Still no display filters even @ native 24P tho... I need to find something else to sync to.

mixer2

so it doesn't has to be streched vertically anymore? more vertical resolution should decrease stair step effect at the edges, which would be really nice.

what do you mean with dots are much tinier? each dot consisted of 2 af pixels. is it now just 1 pixel?
when can we expect a version to test?

1%

Heh, you can have it now but fire it in the wrong mode and you'll be clearing all settings and booting to black screen in movie.

Hit don't click me.. but NEVER in photo mode or 720P60...
only in

1080P24/30/640P

tap around in black "regular" info > where it says movie size > where all the settings would normally be to get back into a regular mode.

it stays through reboots and if you enable it in an unsupported mode you will lose all camera settings + will not be able to boot in movie mode until clearing

[EOSM] MZ is broken.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!QtBSUI5Z!QHUh7hjaWIgxNbxskcKsk0HQMAkwPsZVXxYlsazsEZU

yes, big text for a reason

mixer2

lol...
it does stay through reboot even if it's correct enabled in 1080p? have to check what "tap around in black "regular" info" may mean before i try it. do i have to hit any special option, or is the tapping in the regular info what does the trick? and it shouldn't to any permanent harm, should it? losing settings is just what i expect that it could happen while using (pre-)alpha stuff.

1%

No, its a normal function.

You know where you select video mode normally, that is the same place you reset it. Options aren't visible but if you tap they are there.

mixer2

don't know if i did it correct, but i saw the menu...
i think the mode was correct, since it was slightly zoomed after "don't click" and the option to select movie size in "info" just said 1920x1080 30p and there wasn't the multiple options, which are normally there. after turning the wheel in the menu they reappeared and i could select a normal mode.
have to check the results...
EDIT: result isn't sqeezed, so i think i was in the correct mode. have to do more tests about the dots and quality, since it's quite dark at the moment i had to much noise to check the quality. it does seem to have a totally different dot pattern Oo

at least on black there doesn't seem to be any dot's at all. i created the dot pattern with a hdr of multiple images to get rid of the noise. with this build i don't see any dots with 280 combined dngs at all. with the old build they were more than clearly visible. have to check on white next.

it does have dots on bright areas, but totally different pattern than before. i'm going to create a pattern config to remove the dots with the dot removal tool.
edges look very clean so far, but hard to judge without a useable light source. but i think they are clean.... i'll do a direct comparison later.
that it's more cropped sucks a bit, but seems less zoomed than with the 5x zoom before. and it's great that it doesn't have to be unsqueezed.
still didn't got any black menu...

1%

Yup, thats it. Kills the zoom tho. wont be a problem if there is some way to sync and have MZ.

mixer2

zoom (or MZ) would be nice, but focus peaking works, which should do the job most of the time.
really fantastic work 1%! can't wait to do some test shots tomorrow, to compare the current quality to h.264. already lost the hope that eos m may get better quality with raw than with h.264 ;)

1%

This is the mode we should have had from the start tho.. Also have to do something with 60fps LV. If I figure out the 120 it will be great tho.

mixer2

the extra crop is the most annyoing thing i think... it's just more than the complete zoom range of the 18-55mm kit lense. -.-
it's would be hard to record anything nearly wide angle in this mode.

1%

Didn't notice it till I played the files back. Need to see how its doing what its doing.

mixer2

it's hard to do a correct comparison, because of the different field of view. since the edge of the table is captured in different angles it doesn't allow to judge about the stair step effect. but in all tests i did i hadn't seen any problems at the edges.

both images are upscaled to 1920x1080 and 100% crops. it seems that the new version doesn't have any distortion beside the dots. edges look very clean, no strange color or aliasing effects. but it also seems to be a bit softer.

feureau

Whoah! Amazing development, 1% :D

Btw, has anyone ever investigated plugging the raw feed to the h.264 encoder? (if that is even possible) Perhaps we could get 60fps and less-soft video that way?

poeticdragon

Hi guys, I am new to ML specifically I came here looking for some help with my EOS M. This is a really long topic (22 pages currently) so I'm sorry if this has already been covered. Will this software allow me to completely disable LCD auto off or will it enable LiveView for my EOS M?

I am trying to send live video from my camera to my computer and from there out into the wilds of the Internet. I have discovered to my chagrin that the EOS M does not have Remove LiveView like my larger Canon DSLR camera has. However, the HDMI output shows some promise, until the LCD auto off proved to be another stumbling block. It will stream for a maximum of 30 minutes before turning off the display/HDMI even though the camera is still on and its plugged into an AC adapter.

* I would like to enable LiveView for the camera and use it as a virtual webcam with a program like SparkoCam or
* I would like to be able to stream indefinitely through an HDMI capture device hooked up to my laptop and do the same or
* I would like to find another solution that will let me stream video for more than 30 minutes

If this software can help me in my endeavor I'd greatly appreciate the info.

mixer2

just to show how much it is cropped:

the image is a h.264 frame and the red framed part is a downsized (to match scale) raw frame with same focal length and distance.

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on June 28, 2013, 12:24:19 AM
it's hard to do a correct comparison, because of the different field of view. since the edge of the table is captured in different angles it doesn't allow to judge about the stair step effect. but in all tests i did i hadn't seen any problems at the edges.

both images are upscaled to 1920x1080 and 100% crops. it seems that the new version doesn't have any distortion beside the dots. edges look very clean, no strange color or aliasing effects. but it also seems to be a bit softer.

I agree with Mixer2. The dots are smaller and no distortion seen at the fringes. I shot RAW 1600X542 using photo mode for more buffer range. Then expanded the reso to 1600X900 on AECS6. Landed up with some very workable video.

Uploaded on YouTube: http://youtu.be/mcfWdXba7uQ
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)