Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Added raw histogram.  Fixed adapter ring expo. Turns out there is a zoom box and you can move it around with your finger... the mz flickers once when the zoom box position changes but its kinda cool. Also works to have mz on 1/2 shutter and when it focuses it zooms in on the area its looking.

Console still not working, no characters show up even when I enable console debug.

coutts

Quote from: 1% on May 03, 2013, 05:01:16 PM
Added raw histogram.  Fixed adapter ring expo. Turns out there is a zoom box and you can move it around with your finger... the mz flickers once when the zoom box position changes but its kinda cool. Also works to have mz on 1/2 shutter and when it focuses it zooms in on the area its looking.

Console still not working, no characters show up even when I enable console debug.
i think it's a backend bug, i can't make it work on the 6D (from main repo not yours).

1%

6D it always worked... i'm building EOSM off the 6D repo so the bug must be unique to M. 650D apparently works.

1%

Oh man... wtf are these dots:

They are in DNGs

Hydron

I was going to suggest that they might be something to do with the phase detect pixels (which I believe give a different response, and are compensated for during image processing), but this suggests that they may be more random than the dots in your image:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/chipworks-shows-phase-detection-pixels.html
Keep up the good work, am looking forward to more capabilities (especially the focus peaking) for my camera!

1%

Ha! that explains it.. wish there was a way to hide it, those dots are very annoying

Things that don't work right now:

*Advanced peaking/processing - ie. anamorphic, alpha blend, etc
*Asif hangs camera... dunno why tried several ways. Just beeps once and then hang the second time
*MZ flickers while recording... buffer changes and sync changes i bet.
*Console broken so no LV_rec/tinypy yet... going to try to use malloc again(maybe memory issue) there is 700kb there like 5d3.
*focus confirmation (have to look at how its done for burst, since thats in LV) maybe we'll get trap focus out of it
*mraw/sraw - needs more investigation, turns off camera

Things that do work:
Menus while recording.
Audio Meters while recording
Raw DNG
Flush rate
Probably IPB/ALLI/IPP - have to make menus for them
fps override
focus distance/focal length/exposure meter
edmac stuff
raw histogram/zebras/spotmeter

Chuckwagon

I was reading through the thread and I couldn't find an answer with certainty about shooting tethered with the M.  With ML installed on the M, can it shoot via USB tethered like the T4i can?

Thanks.  :)

1%

Like connected to EOS utility you mean? I have to try it.

Dark-Master

Thank you for your great works, guys!

I got my M last week and used it for a small commercial video. Too bad I didn't find this thread, kelvin WB would help a lot. haha

I'm so glad you guys did release this Alpha for M. Now my M is on the fly!

Now I'm just being curious about the shutter count. How do we count this in M?

ML reports 2K of shutter count. And that would be 758 + 942. But I'm sure I've never shot with my M more than 700-800 shots, counted by RAW files stored on my harddrive plus deleted ones. It shouldn't have been more than the front number, which is 758. How did 942 come?

Thank you for the release!

1%

Well with M every start is a LV actuation and so that counts "against" you... also every shutter click is a shutter click... add the 2 together on a normal camera and you would have shutter count. With M I guess it doesn't matter so much..

Ok, boots successfully via cache hack to malloc pool.... but... malloc pool doesn't reflect the "hit" from ML binary. Would it show it through the copy&restart method? Should I fixup start and end address somehow or leave as is... or go back to allocate?

Console still doesn't want to work. I dunno WTF is wrong with it.

nanomad

Quote from: 1% on May 08, 2013, 05:04:22 PM
Ha! that explains it.. wish there was a way to hide it, those dots are very annoying

Well, it depends on what you want to do :P
On the 650D you can clearly see the focus point types (cross, H , V)
You can mark them as bad pixels (alex suggested to have a look at the dng converter code)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Wouldn't it be the same as getting rid of the dots in post? Wouldn't they just show black if marked bad... they're pretty big.

PROP_LV_FOCUSDATA dead on EOSM too :(

Hydron

I'm assuming that if bad pixels marking is part of the DNG spec, then a DNG RAW converter will deal with them in a smart way by interpolating from surrounding good pixels. While they look big, you may find that they have little effect on the image. The canon firmware might still use these pixels for imaging, with knowledge of the different light response they could scale them differently for demosaicing (for JPEG) or when writing the raw CR2.
This is all assuming however that these dots are indeed related to the phase detect - I have no experience with this stuff, it was just an educated guess.

1%

They're in different places so I'm assuming they have to be for AF. I don't think they're dead pixels or something as they don't show up in YUV or photos.

Chuckwagon

Quote from: 1% on May 08, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
Like connected to EOS utility you mean? I have to try it.

Yes, that was what I meant, sorry I wasn't specific.  :)  The lack of the ability to shoot tethered via USB (with stuff like EOS Utility) the way my T2i does is what kept me from getting an M.  But if ML makes that possible, then the M becomes more interesting to me.

Thanks,
Chuck

1%

Well T3i and 6D work with EOS utility just fine.

Chuckwagon

Quote from: 1% on May 10, 2013, 07:02:06 PM
Well T3i and 6D work with EOS utility just fine.

Yeah, I think all of the other current EOS cameras work with EOS Utility, it's just the M that Canon decided to cripple and remove the tethered shooting ability.  Why is beyond me.  I guess they felt if they made the M too good they'd steal sales from the more expensive models and cut into their profits.  :)

Chuck

1%

Hmmm... will have to see, the issue could be eos utility too. A little bit speculation till I hook it up and try it.

I don't know if anything here was intentional crippling... this camera has ~50MB of shoot malloc, even less w/ raw quality selected. Very low memory and underpowered. CPU load for this and 650D is very high in LV with nothing running. I think they are ditching these platforms because they are too slow.

salsasepp

I noticed the EOSM build is currently broken. Error message: undefined reference to `GetNextMemoryChunk', being used in exmem.c and debug.c. The problem seems to be a missing GetNextMemoryChunk in stubs.S.

I am getting an EOS M next week for testing. Should I try to learn how to add missing stubs or can exmem/debug be disabled somehow? I feel like going the easier route first....

Thanks, Stefan.

1%

You can build off my 6D repo... working fine there.

BTW:

NSTUB(0xFF0EA0E4, AllocateMemoryResourceForSingleChunck) //caller
NSTUB(0xFF13B7DC, FreeMemoryResource) // m_pfFreeMemoryCBR
NSTUB(0xFFA723E4 - RAM_OFFSET, GetFirstChunkFromSuite) // AJ_PackMemory_PackMem_p3
NSTUB(0xFFA71DBC - RAM_OFFSET, GetMemoryAddressOfMemoryChunk)

NSTUB(0xFFA72B80 - RAM_OFFSET, GetNextMemoryChunk)

salsasepp

Thanks 1%, works as advertised.

Regarding EOS Utility / remote control: In any case, we should be able to use ptpcam or roll our own PTP command that does what we need, right?

Eisland

Hey guys,

I have few more questions, before I buy 5 EOS M cameras to do video work...

- old FD lenses with China adapters will work with manual exposure and manual focus?
- will it work with automatic exposure too?
- will movie restart function work (so I can record up to 29.xx minutes?
- the simple AF-Help/color flickering while manual focusing?
- Recording on Class 10 SDXC, 64GB cards...?
- setting the same WhiteBalance and colour modes on all cameras?
- Does it have Live HDMI-output in what resolution while recording??

If you could answer me these questions I would be really happy and very thankful!! (which will definetely result in donation to ML!)
Thank you,
Kevin

mdwhaley

Quote from: Eisland on May 12, 2013, 01:30:49 PM
Hey guys,

I have few more questions, before I buy 5 EOS M cameras to do video work...

- old FD lenses with China adapters will work with manual exposure and manual focus?
- will it work with automatic exposure too?
- will movie restart function work (so I can record up to 29.xx minutes?
- the simple AF-Help/color flickering while manual focusing?
- Recording on Class 10 SDXC, 64GB cards...?
- setting the same WhiteBalance and colour modes on all cameras?
- Does it have Live HDMI-output in what resolution while recording??

If you could answer me these questions I would be really happy and very thankful!! (which will definetely result in donation to ML!)
Thank you,
Kevin

I can partially answer your post.

FD lenses should work. I have a China adapter for Pentax K mount, it works. Set Custom Function 7 to Enable, enable shutter w/o lens.

Automatic exposure will work, obviously its like an aperture priority since your lens has the aperture ring. Camera reports aperture as "00"

I have not tested the movie restart function. However, I did use it as an "a" camera at a live performance and next time I will not. The battery is about the size of a cell phone battery. The battery was about to run out so I had to change it. Problem is even though I had the QR plate for the tripod head mounted to the EF lens adapter I still had trouble getting the battery out and the lens would not come off either without removing the QR plate first. Lesson learned, next time its the "b" camera so starting and stopping is no big deal. In summary, I don't know how many minutes of recording you will get before you need to change the battery.

Are you talking about focus peaking? It works.

I don't know about the card I am using SDHC class 10 32 GB, no problems.

Yes the camera has manual white balance and picture styles. I mix mine with a 7d and a GoPro 3, can't tell a difference in color.

Yes it has live HDMI output while recording, the screen on the camera blacks out like the 7d and I can't tell you the resolution.

1%

one thing up in the alpha is that it doesn't have the manual adapter patch so expo sim will be incorrect in photo mode.
I'm using it this way now because I hate the AF.

Peaking and all that stuff works but not the fancy peaking/filter. Movie restart works... The battery is terrible.

Eisland

Hi guys,

thank you so much for your responses!! We are using 5 cameras, so we will be able to cut from here to there... We plan to use AC-Power adapters to keep them running aaaall concert long ;)
I will soon buy the equipment needed and will try ML the very first time (being a long time Pentax User, I wish you start hacking my K-5 ;)

Thank you so mcuh!
Kevin