Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

It's there but the overlay flickers so fast it's almost like it's getting triggered at half the fps
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Like 600D where sync should be working from either Display State or the regular EVF sync but doesn't.

1%

The raw pics come out half height in EOS-M... also lv rec doesn't want to load. Just sits with no messages after hitting load.

nanomad

I've done a bit of digging and found a couple of vsync functions in the firmware... Maybe it's worth exploring them (of know Alex already tried but couldn't understand them)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Would be cool to have sync... where should I look. I still need to decompile EOSM and 113 of 6D. Actually probably a new decompile for all fw because I named a bunch.

nanomad

Vsynced the 650D with the same transitions as the EOSM.
God knows why it didn't work properly yesterday

1%

Same reason SSS state not working on M and the transitions are the same.

1%

I'm able to dump something on EeKo encoder... found more of its functions.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=wM6kJbGrQ

Maybe we should compare with 6D in Eeko mode and 650D.

call("DumpEeko");

EeKo appears to use Jpcore2 vs Jp62 like the DigicIV encoder. Debugmsg content is poor :(

Eeko supports ALL-I, IPP and IPB... takes it all from video params .
LV is always 30fps until encode starts... also the qscale scale is wrong I think
There is a test function to set the input buffer.. so I guess can feed it something else.

The LV size is so small because it goes Raw->Sraw->YUV

kazeone

not to side track but since some of you have this camera would you say its a good secondary camera to have a long with someone that owns the T4i? I can get the body for around $350 so that seems pretty good but I can get the T3i for about that too...

1%

Its really small... that's about it tho. T3i is a more usable camera for normal applications.

EOS-M seems more of a camera to mount to stuff where a DSLR is too big but a P&S would provide insufficient image quality.

kazeone

thats a good point at half the weight of the T4i, it would make for a better choice for mounting to places and similar and for tight spaces or like hiking. I think I will go that route down the road. Thanks

nanomad

If only the M had a tilty screen the combo M + ML + Gorillapod would be one of the best around

nanomad

Interesting state transitions on the 650D, maybe it's worth checking them out on the EOSM too for vsync

old_state input ticks_in_10_seconds
05 03 603
05 04 604
05 05 604
05 15 603

1%

I think I tried all evf + face + display state states for syncing stuff like anamorphic. Everything is too late to the party.MZ was easy... replacing display state 27 does not appear to be. Only works in photo mode just like 6D did originally.

15 doesn't work for digic functions like fps or image effects but great for syncing. 5 and 4 are great for image effects but didn't sync magic zoom.

So we need to find a state that happens just before drawing so the buffer can be hijacked.

Why don't modules/console work? No text displays and it won't turn off once enabled (so no other ml overlays draw). I think lv recorder has a chance on M with the reduced width 422 buffer.

nanomad

1%

5d3 + 650D can probably boot with 640K bins. I have 3mb of ram even on eos M.

nanomad

Modules are working fine on the 650D assuming you have all the stubs for lvrec

1%

Yes... even the test module won't load... I get nothing in console and I can't make it go away so its like console is broken?

Yep, tried to check sig of EOS M and console comes up with no text, menu stops drawing.

Very impressive FPS... lol was seeing all these frames go by... it was set to end trigger :)

only 7!!! yes, 7 frames of raw can be saved..... aaaand that is about equivalent to the real raw rate.

1%

Fixed prop LV lens... If its not the right focus distance I'll have to move to next one... there are 2 .. 0049 and 004a different by +1. Focal lenght also is doubled both for 6D and M 0023 and 0023 (35mm)

libertykite

I try to put a Samyang 8mm fisheye (Manual lense with no electronics) with the EF adapter, but impossible to take a photo or start a video.

Are the ML could solve it?

nanomad

Go to canon custom functions, it's there already

Eisland

Hi guys,

with great interest I am reading this thread, and I read nearly all pages of it, sometimes I had difficulties to understand, but am quite amazed by the possibilities given with ML (especially because I am a long time Pentax - user and miss many of these possibilites ;(...

Trying to capture video on a professional level, I want to buy 4+ Canon M Cameras, with various lenses, and record 'concerts' 'music videos' etc. So I need to have great video quality, long video clip duration, and sync.-possibilites, external monitor-possibilites... (also Using a DIY Camera Crane with 4m range)... (basically I want to use the M, as it is quite cheap and veery light for 'DSLR-video-quality')

I have a few questions (if this is not the right place to ask these, I am sorry & pleas direct me to the right position ... Thank you!)

1.  What is the longest video duration with no single frame missing in 1080p,25fps?
2.  Is it possible to use a "China-Full manual" Mount adapter for 15bucks from the bay if I want to only use ''manual ooold glass" or Samyang 85 1.4 with no AF-contacts and so on... (M42 lenses?) (I want to only use kit lens & old manual glass, as the Focus throw is longer than with modern zoom and AF-lenses, so manual focusing is a lot easier while recording video...)
3.  Is it possible to synchronize the 4 (or more cameras) with a sort of wireless audio transmitter (as Audio is recorded separately) that can be plugged in the audio or other external sockets in the EOS M somewhere??
4. Is it possible to have an auto movie restart function where camera restarts video after the 29minutes...  (I know there generally is in ML, but I don't know if it is working on the EOS M).
5. Is there Liveview-output via HDMI and what is the highest resolution while recording 1080p being transferred to an external screen?

If this might work out, I will be very thankful to you helpers and contribute to the ML-research group ;)

Thanks in advance for answers!
Kevin

1%

Hmm.. I don't know how that will work out. The highest rates I got out of M were 70Mb/s with flush rate and CBR function cranked all the way. I still have to analyze.

Soon IPB and IPP and ALL-I will be possible.. I don't know how to change the profile away from baseline yet.

I have to check HDMI  to see what happens. I have adapters so I will see what they do. There is no focus confirmation.

Movie restart should work already. Sync between the 4 probably impossible although you can do the shutter tuning thing for LCD screens etc, it may at least sync shutter.

Eisland

So by that, you mean that 70Mb/s are too low? So quality will not be very good for professional video productions?

"There is no focus confirmation" ... focus peaking with these false colour flickering will work, right?

Does the movie restart function mean that it will restart the video after 29.xx minutes?? Or does it have to restart the video after the 4GB file size limit? (so basically, what will be the longest video duration possible w.o. frame loss (it is essential for classic concert-recordings no to loose too much time in these breaks... )

i don't get what you mean with the shutter tuning thing for LCD screens...

Thank you,
Kevin

1%

The image effect to sync the electronic shutter with LCDs/TVs/LIGHTS

The crappy focus peaking works, the good one with display filters does not.

All digic V cut the big file into 4gb chunks after 30 minutes. So it only needs to restart every 30

*I just checked the adapter. It doesn't help you focus. Just shows an aperture.