Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morghus

Quote from: lonelyspeck on November 08, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Hey guys,

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I've been using the Tragic Lantern nightlies on http://tl.bot-fly.com/
As of this post, I'm using the Nov 07 Build. My interest in ML for the EOSM is almost exclusively for enabling time lapse creation. In particular, I'm interested in using the EOSM for day to night time lapse using the the "Flicker Free ETTR Timelapse Workflow" here: (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0). It's not written for the EOSM but in theory it should work the same.

Auto ETTR works OK for the most part on the EOSM but it hunts for the proper exposure a lot. Tweaking the minimum shutter speed or SNR limits will usually allow you to get it to hit the right exposure but it's usually by trial and error. It's also much slower to converge than Auto ETTR on my 6D (1%'s Oct 14 1.1.3 Build) Once the exposure converges, ETTR on the EOSM seems to do what it is supposed to do for non time lapse shooting (e.g. pressing the shutter button manually with your finger).

The Problem: The bigger issue comes up when I try to use Auto ETTR in combination with the ML intervalometer (Tested with 10-30 second intervals). Once the intervalometer is enabled, Auto ETTR no longer functions. The exposure will remain the same (at whatever it started with) throughout the time lapse sequence, regardless of any changes in light. For example, if Auto ETTR picks ISO 100, 1/125 @ f/16 for the first exposure in bright sunlight, it will remain at that exposure throughout sunset and into night. I've also tried testing this using a variable ND filter to simulate the ambient light change.

I have tested this problem extensively and on various builds and the behavior is always the same when the intervalometer is enabled. I've also tried the other Auto ETTR settings other than Always On such as Auto Snap and even Half S DblClck and manually double pressing the shutter half-way between intervals to try to get it to start ETTRing but it doesn't do anything; it's as if Auto ETTR is disabled.

Any thoughts?

If Auto ETTR worked with the intervalometer, the EOSM would be the ultimate compact timelapse machine.

Any news on this? I'm having the same problem and it works fine on my 6D. I want to use the M as a secondary camera when shooting timelapses. I'm willing to test and send logs!

Canon eos m

Firmware: 12 Feb 2014
Size: 1152X648
Camera: EOSM
Mode: Crop/ Uncrop
Works fine without frame skipping.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

BE

It seems that Tragic Lantern needs more developers! I have been a professional programmer for 10 years working with embedded software, often in C. I know it is kind of impossible to answer, but what is your guess - how many hours does it typically take from start to being somewhat productive in Tragic Lantern?
5D Mk II, EOS M - 16/2.8, 22/2.0, 50/1.4, 90/2.8, 400/5.6

dmilligan

Quote from: BE on February 13, 2014, 11:51:41 PM
It seems that Tragic Lantern needs more developers! I have been a professional programmer for 10 years working with embedded software, often in C. I know it is kind of impossible to answer, but what is your guess - how many hours does it typically take from start to being somewhat productive in Tragic Lantern?
Tragic Lantern doesn't need any developers, it's just 1%'s fork. Magic Lantern needs developers and needs the developer of Tragic Lantern (1%) to start contributing to the main project rather than just maintaining his own fork. You should not contribute to the fracturing of this community! However, if you'd like to backport stuff from TL to ML and then start maintaining it, I'm sure that would be more than welcome. Someone had started working on this, but he dropped off the map and the EOSM is now 'unmaintained' again.

1%

Heh, not just my stuff. All of ML needs more developers. Took a few months to get familiar with everything in ML source and a decent portion of the firmware, at least for me....

Only a few people stepped up to port the already done stuff into ML-Main, much less develop new features.

QuoteTragic Lantern (1%) to start contributing to the main project rather than just maintaining his own fork

its all there in the source, come on. It can't ALL be up to a1ex, g3gg0, nanomad and me.

Canon eos m

Mlv sound + mlv raw not working on EOS M. Error "thread failed to start" / "1skipped". Camera hangs.

Settings:

Mlv snd ON.
raw video (mlv) ON, 1088x436
Rest all TL default setting.

Edit: okay w/o mlv snd OFF upto 1152x462.
Okay with Raw (non-mlv)

Edit: can anything be done or is it lost hope. I don't have ML on my 5dm3 anymore since I need the hdmi view to use with my zacuto evf :(
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

Yea, the sound probably won't work yet because of the task limit + freeziness of the asif. I can get like 1 wav ever at best and then a hang.

I did just duplicate the intervalometer not working with ETTR and ETTR getting stuck going back and forth.. the problem is that there is no non live view mode and ettr expects there to be one.. it doesn't seem to adjust at all in QR mode. Just pre-QR in LV.

a1ex

Quote from: dmilligan on February 14, 2014, 12:21:03 AM
Tragic Lantern doesn't need any developers, it's just 1%'s fork. Magic Lantern needs developers and needs the developer of Tragic Lantern (1%) to start contributing to the main project rather than just maintaining his own fork. You should not contribute to the fracturing of this community! However, if you'd like to backport stuff from TL to ML and then start maintaining it, I'm sure that would be more than welcome. Someone had started working on this, but he dropped off the map and the EOSM is now 'unmaintained' again.

+1000

1%

I tracked down this bug today...

Where are the values of the Prop_shooting_mode defined?

M is not being picked up correctly... both of the shooting mode props are 3

P is 0
TV is 1
AE is 2
M is 3

This is why Auto ETTR is broken... also Audio remote shot works the same way as 700D et all.

heh, this matches other cameras and it works fine in AE/TV... wtf

Morghus

Quote from: 1% on February 14, 2014, 07:30:57 AM
I tracked down this bug today...

Where are the values of the Prop_shooting_mode defined?

M is not being picked up correctly... both of the shooting mode props are 3

P is 0
TV is 1
AE is 2
M is 3

This is why Auto ETTR is broken... also Audio remote shot works the same way as 700D et all.

heh, this matches other cameras and it works fine in AE/TV... wtf

This is just a wild guess, but maybe it's always "3" because the EOS M chooses the mode in software and the hardware switch only has Auto, Manual and Video positions?

1%

No, it matches... 6D and others. And everything would "appear" to be detected correctly. Just ETTR and others won't fire. In P/AV/TV you even see ETTR marks/adjustments on the QR screen... the work around for a manual lens is just to use TV mode. For a normal one it will have to be fixed. I'm just kind of confused where to start. Already looked at dedicated movie mode sections and some of the take a pic stuff.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on February 14, 2014, 02:08:50 AM
Mlv sound + mlv raw not working on EOS M. Error "thread failed to start" / "1skipped". Camera hangs.

Settings:

Mlv snd ON.
raw video (mlv) ON, 1088x436
Rest all TL default setting.

Edit: okay w/o mlv snd OFF upto 1152x462.
Okay with Raw (non-mlv)

Edit: can anything be done or is it lost hope. I don't have ML on my 5dm3 anymore since I need the hdmi view to use with my zacuto evf :(

Same issues with 13 Feb build

1%

Its not lost but has issues. MLV_SND not going to work here yet.

andre1984

Is 50p video recording possible?  Would it be possible in the future?

1%

It should be.. you can almost get the fps all the way there too in crop mode. The data rate and memory is what is holding it back mainly and that part isn't fixable.

MobFactory

Hello I was wondering if you could reactivate the remote shooting function through this hack. Ive read up on it and apparently its just a purposefully crippled 650d firmware. Would there be a way for you to make it think it is a 650d so eos utility will accept it? Or any way really to get remote shooting to work. If not do you know another way to load cinestyle?

dannydv

Anybody can tell me how to disable Tragic Lantern at boot time? (i know how to do this in ML 2.3 on a Canon EOS 5 MkII, but on the EOS M?) In case of emergency, you might wan to switch back to the Canon's default without needing to swap cards.
Canon EOS M with EF-M 22mm f/2.0 + Canon EOS 5D MII ML 2.3 with EF 50mm f/1.2L + EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS + EF 14mm f/2.8L II + EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

andyroo

I notice using EOS-M with intervalometer function that when in AF, the intervalometer will sometimes freeze when brightness shifts suddenly, but when in MF, it works fine.

I am trying to use TL with the EOS-M in an aircraft to shoot aerials at 3 sec intervals from a wing-mounted camera. I can't use MF because the camera cools off too much during flight so the focus to infinity is different in-flight than it is when I mount the camera. I have tried the intervalometer with the 40mm lens and adapter and 22mm pancake and in both cases MF works reliably but AF sometimes quits when exposed to rapid dark/light changes at the wrong time (like when a plane is banking and goes from ground to sky view). I simulate by pointing at ground/under desk, then at sky/light.

Any suggestions?

gary2013

1%, today's build of TL for the M does not allow MLV recording. Raw recording does work as usual. same settings I always use.720p24 crop mode all audio off 16x9 global draw on, MLV starts in red and says 1 line skipped and thread failed to satrt. hangs camera requiring battery pull.

Edit-Update. after i unloaded the crypt module, I was able to record MLV. Start and then Stop recording. BUT, then I could not access TL anymore with the usual two finger swipe. or, power off the camera. pushing power off pops up "Busy". i had to pull the battery.

1%

ok, i'll give it a go.. a bunch went in today from ML

ok, seems to be working after the push today.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on February 14, 2014, 12:26:37 AM
Heh, not just my stuff. All of ML needs more developers. Took a few months to get familiar with everything in ML source and a decent portion of the firmware, at least for me....

Only a few people stepped up to port the already done stuff into ML-Main, much less develop new features.

its all there in the source, come on. It can't ALL be up to a1ex, g3gg0, nanomad and me.

I would kill to be able to contribute. I forked the repo and all and managed to get it to compile... most of the time. But looking at the code baffles me. Which one should I start with?

coso

Hi guys, new M TL user here. Just a thing that seemed wrong to me in the faq for the uninstall process (I didn't know where to write this), instructions say:

4. MENU, then First Wrench, then Format Card - Don't tap screen to format card (keeping ML). Select and press OK
5. Goto last wrench, Update Firmware, pick latest version, SET (now that card's been formatted, it has no ML so camera will see nothing, and look to revert to factory boot)
6. GREEN ML screen should come up about BOOKDISK flag

But when I did point 4., there was no more the .fir file in the card, so the camera didn't perform the firmware upgrade where I could deactivate the boot flag.

Solution was to copy again the files as for the first installation and turning the knob at green screen as usual. Did I something wrong or are the instructions a bit off?

Thanks and keep up the good work. Wish I could help but apart being a graphic designer I don't know how.

1%

QuoteBut looking at the code baffles me. Which one should I start with?

Start with looking at features that don't work the way you want. Its going to take a while to get familiar with it and how the cameras work. If you're new to C++ there is also that.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on February 23, 2014, 06:49:10 PM
Start with looking at features that don't work the way you want. Its going to take a while to get familiar with it and how the cameras work. If you're new to C++ there is also that.

Thanks!

Btw, I was shooting pics for panoramic stitching, and found that under certain settings, the EOS-M can take pictures without the screen blanking out.

The settings I find reproducible, but not sure which factor actually influence this:

• EF-M 22mm lens (I can't reproduce this with the EF to EF-M canon mount adapter)
  • Servo AF on
  • Continuous shooting on
  • Custom function IV (page 5): option 2 - AF/AF lock, no AE lock on.
  • prefocus, then press and hold the asterisk button, and shoot away

The first one or two frames would sometimes blank out but the rest of the pics it won't blank out.

I wonder if this can be investigated to always make the screen not blank out when shooting pics?

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on February 22, 2014, 03:11:38 AM
ok, i'll give it a go.. a bunch went in today from ML

ok, seems to be working after the push today.
same thing with TL Feb 23 build. No MLV recording, but RAW will record as usual. Same message at start of MLV recording then it hangs the camera. "Threads failed to start"