Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixer2

it says: "This video is private."

oh and the dots are not really smaller... the dots that appeared larger where 2 neighboring af pixels. in the old mode some lines and rows got dropped to scale it down. now it's not scaled down but cropped, so the lines between the pixels that were dropped are now still there which leads to some space between the two pixels.

1%

You can record h264 with the crop too.. but whoa thats a zoooooom.

I should try this with 200MM and see how far it will reach.

mixer2

more interessting is, if we can get raw without the crop and with clean edges. but i think no crop = unclean edges, since the downscaling via skipping lines seems to be the reason.

1%

Normal LV is pretty much 720P60 cut to 30fps.

haomuch

Hi guys I just updated to the 2.0.2 firmware yesterday an the AF speed now is really fast! Therefore I have lost the ML functions, which is a pitty. However I then realized that I can't use the eye-fi card that I bought days ago on the camera anymore since the bootflag have been changed. And I also can't do a uninstall by apply the ML firmware upgrade. Could anyone tell me what to do now? Thanks very much!

feureau

Quote from: haomuch on June 28, 2013, 05:54:48 PM
Could anyone tell me what to do now? Thanks very much!

Format the eye-fi card. (low level format)

Then wait for Greater Intelligence to port ML to EOS M 2.0.2

1%

I think you can bootflag most of the eyefi cards. They work on 600D, why not here?

jerrykil

Dear Great Intelligencies (nice one, feureau) and stuff,

So, about that 18-55mm shutter bug. I was finally able to reproduce it while trying to take a pciture with ML installed with one of the most recent autoexec.bins. Basically you hit the shutter release, the camera focuses, the rectangle turns green, but then nothing happens and your friends get really annoyed with you. In order to take the shot and avoid pissing off my subjects even further, I had to set the bootflag off. With ML off, everything shot fine. I'm not sure if anyone had described this bug like this before. Lens FW: 2.0.0 Camera FW: 1.0.6. It worked fine for a long time before. Maybe its some sort of config bug. I tried turning off ML functions to get it to work, but I had no luck.

Thanks for reading,
Jerry

1%

Heh, thats still not good because I can't have set path to reproduce that bug. I took tons of pics without it... plus new FW coming soon. Just waiting on a decrypted version to start.. hopefully its better for more than just AF.

mixer2

"Normal LV" is what we had before last version, isn't it?

1%

Before was just the non cropped LV, you can go back and forth, its like crop mode we discovered.. works on 650D too, but I want to start on new FW to fix MZ and maybe get display filters working.

mixer2

"Normal LV" = non croped, isn't it?
is there any mode with less crop and clean borders?

1%

Not that I can see :(

I tried reducing crop but didn't work thus far.

mixer2

with that crop it's just to narrow for most situations. but, it's nice if you need some extra zoom range.
did a small video test with a 100-400mm and the 18-55mm:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2vp9uowa6jjy1jk/compare.mp4

have still dots in the raw videos, had no time to create the pattern to remove it so far, but i'll do that now.

btw.. the videos have no post at all. just whitebalance and upscaling on the raw videos. but no sharpening, contrast, noisefilter, saturation or something like that. just straight from the camera.

the detail you still get with 400mm and digital zoom is unbelievable. you can see single hairs of the bee.

1%

The little 22mm focuses pretty close too.

mixer2

oh, it was not nearest it could focus. haven't tried to get as close as possible.
i don't like the 22mm for movies, because of the missing IS. of couse with a tripod that wouldn't make a difference, but it's just... not the lense for videos xD

1%

Its tiny tho, still not bad with a real lens attached, lighter than 600d.

mixer2

just finished the dot removal meta data for the new mode:

i will add it soon to that branch:
https://github.com/Foorgol/PinkDotRemover/tree/DngFreeGrid

dot removal data for full time crop can be downloaded there, till pullrequest is merged:
https://github.com/mixer2/PinkDotRemover/blob/DngFreeGrid/dotData/EOSM_Crop.txt

it will only work with the DngFreeGrid branch!

haomuch

Quote from: 1% on June 28, 2013, 06:02:59 PM
I think you can bootflag most of the eyefi cards. They work on 600D, why not here?

Maybe it's because of my eye-fi card is produced by other manufacturer. And also because I have upgraded to the 2.0.2 firmware, the old ML on the card won't work anyway. Currently I can't boot the camera with the eye-fi card's wifi function turned on. So basically I am just wondering a method to restore the bootflag and wait for the future 2.0.2 ML port that works with eye-fi.

feureau

Quote from: haomuch on June 29, 2013, 10:00:07 AM
I am just wondering a method to restore the bootflag

Low level format the card.

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on June 28, 2013, 02:58:01 PM
it says: "This video is private."

oh and the dots are not really smaller... the dots that appeared larger where 2 neighboring af pixels. in the old mode some lines and rows got dropped to scale it down. now it's not scaled down but cropped, so the lines between the pixels that were dropped are now still there which leads to some space between the two pixels.

Any idea why I keep getting the flicker screen towards the end of almost all my videos rendering with AF CS6. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZMFyheAAM
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mixer2

one part of the video from yesterday with complete postprocessing. removed dots, noisefilter, sharpening, saturation, etc
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/r6rw17td3w4v2s9/with_post.mp4
you can see the hair on the flys legs. it's filmed at a distance where it was hard to see the fly at all.
it's the first time i really got imho usable result with eos m raw video. the only thing that i don't like is the ghosting effect of the flower, but i think this is caused by the lense. shouldn't have anything to do with raw video. but of course it wouldn't be as much visible if it wouldn't be filmed at 100% crop.
have to try what's possible with a real macro shot.

@Canon eos m: is this already in the dng, before you load them to AF?

@1%: is there a reason why it doesn't record exactly 16:9 in full time crop mode? it says that it has to be streched by 1.16%, but that doesn't look correct.

Canon eos m

@mixer2: yes, I first convert the footage to individual dng's with raw2dng and then import to After Effects CS6. I discovered this beautiful way to convert my rendered footage to low file sizes using hand break. It's free. Loving the whole experience. I am beginning to give up on shooting raw with the eos m. Will keep that for my 5DM3. But one thing that I love about the ML + EOS M combo is the exposure override - this is keeping my from upgrading the firmware. In fact this feature beats the 5DM3 for stills. But the 5DM3 is a beast when it comes to video.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

The stretch was on EOSM all the time until I found the crop mode. Should just be text.

mixer2

the text is not the problem... when you select 16:9 it records ~16:7,76 (1344x652) unsqueezed, but it should record 1344x756.