Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsara

am I the only one having problem with "[EOSM] 5D3 Rawtype" and "[EOSM] Check unsquee"? camera freezes, touch doesn't work, and more important thing is its not recording anything. "better hope" versions seems working just fine.

qsara

Canon EOS M + 22mm f/2 RAW upscaled to FULL-HD Video Test (better hope version)

mixer2

What i don't understand is, if the unclean edges are only caused by the edge detection stuff. Will the edges be clean as soon as this gets fixed? Or is that caused by aliasing?

Canon eos m

At this point I find the HDR Video option serving me better than the RAW Vido option on the EOSM. I have decided to hang my boots for RAW on my EOSM and leave that for later on my 5DM3 when my Komputerbay card arrives. Will be fishing this thread on and off though.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

If edges are red or something like that then its outlining.

I think unhack isnt running on EOSM for some reason.

mixer2

okey, then the stair step effect is just because canon skips a lot of pixels when scaling down from 18mp to 1664x560, right?
but the camera does use the exact same data when it encodes the h.264. So it's mainly a postprocessing problem. using the correct filters should solve the extreme stair step effect.
I showed comparison pictures (h.264 vs raw) to some people and even with the stair step effect they like the raw stuff more, because they look sharper and it's possible to get much more harmonious color correction. That surprised me, because, as i wrote a few posts above, i prefere the h.264 so far. For me the stair step effect is very disturbing for the image harmony.
I'll check what's the best way to get good results in post.

qsara

I'm getting this, whats causing it? over heated sensor, cpu, card?

qsara

edit: AF dots, no luck, they are still visible.

gamentine

This is my first experience with Magic Lantern and it's great!

Just one minor hiccup that I've encountered.

After power-off or powersave shutoff the shutter will not release.

I am using the EOS-M with 18-55mm lens.
Removal of battery & SD Card does not solve the issue, only Removal and Reattachment of the lens.

Thanks for all the hard work!

qsara

we're all having the same issue with 18-55 EF-M lens.. 22mm is the best lens to use for now (or using other lenses with adapters).

vstrglv

But there is no this issue with 18-55 EF-M lens for ML autoexec.bin from original Alpha1 until at least Mach 2013.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

gamentine

I can verify that I don't have the issue with the Alpha 1 build linked in the first post.

qsara

Quote from: vstrglv on June 13, 2013, 09:19:32 PM
But there is no this issue with 18-55 EF-M lens for ML autoexec.bin from original Alpha1 until at least Mach 2013.

use that version then.

Iain1986

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering, will Magic Latern allow the EOS M to now use Remote Capture functionality?

mixer2

Did some more tests about how much of the stair stepping effect is caused by the edge detection. I made a video with the old version, that has the af-dots and another with the current version, that has the edgedetection dots.
One problem with this test is, that it's recorded in different angles. So it may not be completely trustable. I'll redo the test with a tripod later.

It seems that most of the distortion is caused by edge detection. At the top nearly perfect edges (with the old version) and at the bottom the extreme stair stepping effect with the current version. I hope and don't think that the difference is only caused by the different angle.
So, in contrast to what i believed and wrote a few days ago, if there is a way to record without edge detection and without af-dots, it may be possible to get really high quality video, also better in sharpness and detail than h.264.

Another thing that i realized while testing:
1. Booting camera in video mode isn't needed anymore to be able to load the module.
2. In fact it causes problems in the current version if you boot in video mode, since "Use photo mode" seems to be activated but isn't. So it has to be disabled and reenabled, to get raw recording work. @1%: That's the reason why i still had the bug with the current version. I still used the outdated flow to boot in videomode -> load module -> photo mode -> multishot nr -> activate raw video. Then "Use photo mode" seems to be enabled but isn't. boot in photo mode -> load module -> multishot nr -> activate raw video works great with current version.

@1%: Is there any chance at all, that there is a raw type or other setting that it's possible to get an image without af-dots and without edge detection? If yes, can i help anything to find it?

1%

I hope there is a way.. I guess you'd have to look at fw disassembly. should be no more use photo mode option, it should just do fake movie mode in photo mode.

I had no issues recording in either mode.. just video mode doesn't have enough buffer. I got it to unhack again so no more freezing/dead keys. AEWB disable causes AF to stop working, etc.

We have a new firmware coming, I hope some of these issues are addressed.. ie the dots, 30fps LV, etc.

qsara

Quote from: 1% on June 14, 2013, 07:47:20 PM
I hope there is a way.. I guess you'd have to look at fw disassembly. should be no more use photo mode option, it should just do fake movie mode in photo mode.

I had no issues recording in either mode.. just video mode doesn't have enough buffer. I got it to unhack again so no more freezing/dead keys. AEWB disable causes AF to stop working, etc.

We have a new firmware coming, I hope some of these issues are addressed.. ie the dots, 30fps LV, etc.

this is great! I'm looking forward to it. btw, I'm considering of selling my other 550D to get another EOS M, that way I hope I can test new fw from canon (I hope they'll release it soon)

I don't know if you noticed or not but, you can record 1728x512 @ 25fps on HDR (scene) and HandHeld Night Scene (scene) modes. records continuously at 38MB/s to sandisk extreme 45MB/s. build version : [EOSM] FixUnhack.zip from "otheronepercent"

Canon eos m

Don't know if it is just me but I notice a visible better quality of video with the latest hack update with using the video button to record. Of course the frames that the buffer can handle have gone down by half on the same settings but the quality is certainly an improvement with the pink dots and all that stuff no more an issue.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

gamentine

With the latest update, my EOS M does not have the 18-55mm lens lockup.

mixer2

@Canon eos m: What exactly do you do, that you don't get the stair stepping effect and edge detection dots at the edges? can you post an example image, for the quality you get?

@1%: is there any benefit of the movie mode? the edge detection seems to be also enabled in movie mode. and that's imho the only issue that stops raw video to be really used on the eos m. so waiting for the new firmware from canon, till there is a chance for any further progress?

qsara

Quote from: Canon eos m on June 15, 2013, 03:14:18 AM
Don't know if it is just me but I notice a visible better quality of video with the latest hack update with using the video button to record. Of course the frames that the buffer can handle have gone down by half on the same settings but the quality is certainly an improvement with the pink dots and all that stuff no more an issue.

I'm still using photo mode, at Manual with multiple frame noise reduce, and on HDR (scene mode) there are no AF dots and quality looks amazing after you resize 1.71 or 1.67, I like the latest build. it seems to work fine.

qsara

Quote from: mixer2 on June 15, 2013, 10:47:32 AM
@Canon eos m: What exactly do you do, that you don't get the stair stepping effect and edge detection dots at the edges? can you post an example image, for the quality you get?

@1%: is there any benefit of the movie mode? the edge detection seems to be also enabled in movie mode. and that's imho the only issue that stops raw video to be really used on the eos m. so waiting for the new firmware from canon, till there is a chance for any further progress?

Canon eos m

Will post picture tonight. Did nothing great - just used the new build on movie mode - instead on picture mode on the eos m. No dots and better rendition overall. Even the grey scale review on the eos m live view in replay looks less jerker than when recorded on the picture mode.

1%

Maybe placebo... if you have no sharp edges then no edge detection. Preview could work better but image should be pretty much the same.

I can't record much with those 2 buffer stars but use what works for you.

Handheld night is good: 95MB free. But expo override didn't work for some reason.

qsara

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 04:06:26 PM
Maybe placebo... if you have no sharp edges then no edge detection. Preview could work better but image should be pretty much the same.

I can't record much with those 2 buffer stars but use what works for you.

Handheld night is good: 95MB free. But expo override didn't work for some reason.

how about HDR mode, any override works?