Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: funkysound on December 04, 2013, 04:06:28 PM
Mhh, maybe, but still they do a great job!

But I still wonder that the EOS M doesn´t catch more interest.

Sorry, didn't meant to diminish your sentiment!  My 2-cents is the EOS-M doesn't catch more interest, and ML isn't as successful as it can be, because there is no stable build for it and similar cameras.  The easier something is, the more people will use it.  ML is very low on the easy-to-use curve.

gary2013

Quote from: funkysound on December 04, 2013, 04:06:28 PM
...But I still wonder that the EOS M doesn´t catch more interest. From my point of few it´s the second best and interesting Canon cam behind the 5d product line. Especialy if you already own different Canon lenses.
I´m looking forward for a real EOS-M2+ next year (not just this so called "new" M2 with just wifi and a little bit better AF - nice but that´s nearly nothing)
it has an ASPC sensor, small, light weight, three nice EFM lenses and it only cost $300 with one kit lens. It can do 720p, 24fps, 16x9, raw continuous. And only costing $100 with $200 lens in a kit makes it stand out from all the other cameras. That should make this camera very desirable. And ML makes it this way thanks to the devs and testers here. I understand Max's statements, but I cannot change any of that but I believe that it all will work out.

1%

you realize that when we merge it the bugs + shortcomings will be the same as ML fixes are pulled into my repo regularly and a lot of stuff is the same in both

maxotics

Quote from: 1% on December 04, 2013, 10:19:39 PM
you realize that when we merge it the bugs + shortcomings will be the same as ML fixes are pulled into my repo regularly and a lot of stuff is the same in both

Absolutely, 1%!  Not implying whatsoever that the bugs are your fault.  I'm curious about the following.  Would love some answers, perhaps can help others.

o. Assuming someone has basic C knowledge, how many hours would take them to learn enough ML to contribute fixes to any of these bugs.  My guess would be 40+ hours. 

o. How long would it take, I know hard for you to say, but some guess...

1. Make it so audio is turned back on when switching from RAW to H.264.
2. Turn custom FPS off when going from video to photo mode (to stop screen issues), and turn it back on when going back to RAW

Are there any other big issues, except for the shutter bug?

Thanks for your time 1%. 

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on December 04, 2013, 10:19:39 PM
I understand and I rather you do what is better for now. I have a question. I know and accept that because of hardware limits, we can best be at 720p24 raw continuous video. Is it possible somehow to squeeze audio recording in with that? 44.1k 16 bit stereo. Also, is it somehow possible that the video can go larger than the current 720p24 and stay at 6x9 from some new discovery later on? or 30fps?

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on December 04, 2013, 10:46:55 PM
Absolutely, 1%!  Not implying whatsoever that the bugs are your fault.  I'm curious about the following.  Would love some answers, perhaps can help others.

o. Assuming someone has basic C knowledge, how many hours would take them to learn enough ML to contribute fixes to any of these bugs.  My guess would be 40+ hours. 

o. How long would it take, I know hard for you to say, but some guess...

1. Make it so audio is turned back on when switching from RAW to H.264.
2. Turn custom FPS off when going from video to photo mode (to stop screen issues), and turn it back on when going back to RAW

Are there any other big issues, except for the shutter bug?

Thanks for your time 1%.

its very hard to keep track of bugs in a forum setting. would it be super annoying to have people submit user bugs to https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/issues?status=new&status=open ?

maxotics

Thanks Jerrykil.  I posted those two issues there.

jerrykil

intervalometer works now. i got 200+ shots off in MF on an almost full charge. Now i just have to learn to meter it correctly. sunrise might be a bad first project

also, i should mention that the camera was having some serious glitching. i had left digic peaking on after focusing and eventually the LV got all sortsa bugged. I assume this was due to the temp being at 115. it captured images fine and metered correctly in Av mode, but the LV was scrambled. i took a video, if anyone is interested, i'll post.

maxotics

Jerrykil sounds like a similar problem to the FPS I mentioned.  If LV gets messed up it usually means usable RAW.  In photo mode, if LV gets messed up, the camera may work okay, but difficult to compose/set exposure, etc.  I would say that LV going into scrambled-Easter-egg mode is the most serious bug on EOS-M, however it happens.

1%

Yep, bugs should go there. FPS needs a fix to stop picking the wrong mode, when it scrambles press play and it should reset. Post the video too, why not.

1%

That looks like zebras w/ overexposure everywhere.

jerrykil

Quote from: 1% on December 05, 2013, 10:07:28 PM
That looks like zebras w/ overexposure everywhere.

it is directed at the sun, but you see the one normal capture in the middle. i don't change exposure settings between shots and the shot comes out w/ normal exposure even though its zebras and over exposed according to LV. i did start with FPS override on to get the focus right in low light before the sun came up. If you notice the corners of the LV are flickering. it was more apparent in person and happened pretty frequently

jerrykil

mlv_rec.mo is working for me. i can get continuous 1280x720 but it doesn't record for long. i'm not getting assert files to share, either. you guys should try it out, i am noob at raw
http://tinyurl.com/kvk2co7

gary2013

1%

The FPS override cockup is a purple and shifted image, didn't look like that for me. For raw you're kinda stuck in crop or photo mode.. make sure to set jpeg quality too or multi shot NR in photo mode... otherwise you get like 20MB of free memory and won't record long at all.

jerrykil

thx 1%, i should know this stuff by now.  :-\

feureau

I've been having strange exposure issue with DualISO. I wonder if anyone can confirm/enlighten me on this.

I tried this on a manual lens, shooting in Av mode:

Shooting DualISO on burst (Continuous shooting mode), and shooting more than one frame in a burst, the first frame would expose differently in relation to the rest of the burst. That is if you set the iso to 100 and recovery iso to, say 3200, and shoot 4 frames in a burst, the first frame would be more overexposed compared to the rest of the burst. Seems the effect is pretty consistent even after fresh installing TL and having the camera preference reset. it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Addendum: Apparently this affects all lenses in manual mode. STM lenses set to M in the canon menu, EF and EF-s lenses mounted via the canon EF-EOS-M Adapter with the switch set to manual focusing. When all the lenses are set to autofocus, the problem goes away.

jerrykil

i'm not getting the same result
Quote from: feureau on December 06, 2013, 01:47:10 PM

Any ideas?

Addendum: Apparently this affects all lenses in manual mode. STM lenses set to M in the canon menu, EF and EF-s lenses mounted via the canon EF-EOS-M Adapter with the switch set to manual focusing. When all the lenses are set to autofocus, the problem goes away.
ef-m 18-55

a1ex

Can you upload some CR2 files to show it?

feureau

Quote from: jerrykil on December 06, 2013, 03:02:47 PM
i'm not getting the same resultef-m 18-55

I don't have that lens. The last time I tried that lens, my eos-m suffers from that shutter bug that shuts down the camera. :(

Can you try without a lens? I tried this: By just holding the lens on the mount, but not screwed in, meaning you still get a proper image, the first shot has a different shutter speed and more overexposed, but the subsequent ones tend to remain the same.

Quote from: a1ex on December 06, 2013, 04:08:13 PM
Can you upload some CR2 files to show it?

Sure. Currently uploading.

jerrykil

Quote from: feureau on December 06, 2013, 04:14:03 PM
I don't have that lens. The last time I tried that lens, my eos-m suffers from that shutter bug that shuts down the camera. :(

Can you try without a lens? I tried this: By just holding the lens on the mount, but not screwed in, meaning you still get a proper image, the first shot has a different shutter speed and more overexposed, but the subsequent ones tend to remain the same.
sorry i misread your original post. when i switched to Av mode, i was able to reproduce it with lens on and "off."

first 2 CR2's of continuous series: http://tinyurl.com/pozl2vr

a1ex

Does it also happen in other modes? (try M, P and Tv)

jerrykil

also in P for me, but the others are spared

a1ex

What happens if you set ISO in reverse? (say 1600 from Canon menu, and 100 for recovery)?