Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsara

Quote from: Escaperoute on June 10, 2013, 10:36:36 PM
Thanks for the fast reply,

But what i'm trying to do is to get the ML loaded on my camera with 18-55 mm lens working, i've successfully uninstalled it but i can't seem to get it work with 18-55 mm attached.
Any comment??

no problem, I don't have 18-55 and don't have any idea what you are experiencing on EOS M, you have to wait for the update end-of-june from canon. maybe they'll fix it.

mixer2

1% is it how it should be, that unsqueezing has to be done manually in post?

1%

It appears so.. I guess not much use then :(

How is edge detection + new "dead" pixel removing chdk-dng.c Does it do anything... it didn't fix the dots I think so its back to outlines.

a1ex

You need to mark the af dots first for it to work (set them to 0 in raw buffer).

1%

Problem is not sure if they show up in the same spot every time.

a1ex

Looks like the EOS-M has a dedicated movie mode: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/images/top.jpg

What's wrong with it? why do you have to record in photo mode?

I want to get rid of this hack, because it's giving me lots of trouble on the other cameras.

Canon eos m

Thanks Mixer2, 1% and A1ex - I finally managed my first workable RAW video with my EOS M running ML.

I notice the red dots you folks have been discussing since the past few days. Doesn't bother me yet since I am on the learning curve and enjoying every moment.

http://youtu.be/JgXleWpahM8
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mdwhaley

As far as I can tell it's the only way to get the largest buffer possible. Maybe I'm wrong

Quote from: a1ex on June 11, 2013, 01:12:02 PM
Looks like the EOS-M has a dedicated movie mode: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/images/top.jpg

What's wrong with it? why do you have to record in photo mode?

I want to get rid of this hack, because it's giving me lots of trouble on the other cameras.

a1ex

How big is the buffer in movie mode and how big is in photo mode?

Also the max resolution, does it change?

mixer2

29+21 in movie mode and 32+32+29 with the multishot nr trick in photo mode.
resolution seems to be the same. I get exactly the same values in photo or movie mode, if nr is not multishot. the only difference is, that if multishot nr is active the buffer is nearly double the size. and that's not possible in movie mode.

may it help to check some option configurations in movie mode, if there is also something that frees up some space?

a1ex

Okay... the biggest problem is that exposure in photo mode is not using the parameters you have set in menu, but something with equivalent brightness and usually wide-open.

Sure, you may say you don't care about that, but in that case you can just record H.264.

Another trouble is that I don't like the code complexity increase because of this; on the cameras that don't need it, I want to keep things simple and just record in movie mode.

mixer2

hurm... is there no way to permanently activate dof-preview? the exposure settings should be correct then, shouldn't they?
what's with exp override, anyone said, that this solves the problem.
i never checked, if it uses the correct settings so far, since the quality isn't usable anyways so far.

a1ex

Yes, expo override helps. If ML says Mv in the bottom-left corner, it should be OK.

1%

Expo override should close down the aperture.

50D too.. doesn't really seem like movie mode. On M in movie mode you can barely record anything because of the memory. The 1 buffer and a few MB actually makes a big difference.

qsara

I'm not sure but, it seems its possible to hack RAW buffer, because camera can take 5 RAW images, if you count each of them 25MB then you'll have 125MB buffer, seems enough to keep some data and capture more frames. anyone working on that?

mixer2

A quality comparison of the current version:

raw at the top and h.264 at the bottom. i think with eos-m raw video it will not be possible to get more details than with h.264, will it? are there still things left, that may increase the quality that much? Or is there something wrong with my post?
so raw video on eos-m will make sense if there is need for a lot of dynamic range or to extend the focal length with the digital zoom. but results doesn't look very pleasant, so far.

qsara

to me, even this is a huge step.

qsara

processed a 1280x544 Total 542 Frame RAW Video. I like it, but still, there are some problems with framerate.

1%

Yea, there is a chance for more buffer if the blue blocks can be recovered.

jerrykil

Hello great people,

Even with the help of nanomad (thx btw), I wasn't able to get 'make zip' to go through on the nightly repo. The makefile simply doesn't have an "x:" instruction. I want to try this stuff out on my new EOS M but the Alpha posted in the original post doesn't bring up a menu. From what I understand, the trash button should bring up the ML menu, right? Anyway, could someone comment on how newbies such as myself could follow along, and report bugs, with the latest and greatest from ML?

Ciao!

mdwhaley

2 finger tap the lcd screen to bring up ML menu on EOS M

Quote from: jerrykil on June 12, 2013, 02:55:16 AM
Hello great people,

Even with the help of nanomad (thx btw), I wasn't able to get 'make zip' to go through on the nightly repo. The makefile simply doesn't have an "x:" instruction. I want to try this stuff out on my new EOS M but the Alpha posted in the original post doesn't bring up a menu. From what I understand, the trash button should bring up the ML menu, right? Anyway, could someone comment on how newbies such as myself could follow along, and report bugs, with the latest and greatest from ML?

Ciao!

mixer2

@jerrykil, you have to use the current version and install the raw module. Download the following file:
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/[EOSM]%20Check%20unsquee.zip

Extract the "autoexec.bin" and copy it to the root of your sd-card (overwrite the one that already exists). Then extract the two directories and put them in the ML directory of your sd-card.
Remember that you have to shoot video in photo mode and! set nr to multishot. I've posted a video how to start raw recording there:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg48585#msg48585

There is one difference in the current version to the video. You've additionally to turn the "Use photo mode" option in the raw video submenu off and on again, to enable raw recording in photo mode.

@1%:
Shouldn't the "Use photo mode"-Bug be fixed by [EOSM] raw_rec.mo -Fixed Photo Mode? Doesn't seem to work for me. Any ideas, if we may get clean edges in raw video in future? still something to do with the edge detection?

jerrykil

Perfect! Thanks guys, can't wait to set it up.

Thanks for the quick reply

1%

It should be working, it did when I tested it. The 6D module is the newest and in theory the EOS-M stuf is in there and  should work. Dunno if it has all the symbols.

I'll make a whole new build soon anyway.

Nothing good with edge detection yet.. its dots or outlines atm

jerrykil

Using it now. I'm speechless! Good thing I can still type
=D