Focus Stacking

Started by garry23, December 11, 2013, 01:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

For those that desire full tack sharp depth of field, the only way is to carry out focus stacking. For example, even shooting at the HFD will not give full tack sharpness, really acceptable out of focusness. As an example, on my 24-105mm at 24mm, if I choose a blur spot, ie CoC + diffraction, of 20 microns, the HFD is about 14ft at around  F10. However, the defined sharpness zone is 'only' down to about 6ft.

I know some are saying that is fantastic, but if you want to cover down to a couple of feet, say, you would need to focus stack. For example, at 24mm on my 5DIII,  I would need to take three shoots at 3, 5 and 15ft.

All my calculations are made using TrueDOF-Pro, Optimum-CSP and FocusStacker.

Ok the 'request' is this. Can the developers give us a way to specify a set of focus distances, ie three in the example above? Ideally the user would be able to specify a few FLs and the related focus distances, say up to 9, so this can be easily selected from a menu.

I hope the above is clear and that it hasn't been requested before.

I appreciate this would only work for some lenses.

If enabled it would be like focus bracketing, but at specified distances.

garry23

I will add to my own postl as my request may have confused some. The request is to allow ML to drive/step an auto focus lens from a fixed and known position, such as the infinity stop, to specified focus locations.

These locations would be pre calibrated. At the moment I do this manually via marks on my lens. That is I have premarked my lens at the focus stack locations I need for landscape. Thus is not a nacro stack request.