Web Men! a 10min Short Shot w/ 5DM2 RAW

Started by delrosestephen, December 10, 2013, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delrosestephen

One of my projects for my Senior Thesis was to write a 10 page script, turn it into a short film and direct it. I decided to shoot it using ML RAW. I had only shot short tests on it and decided it was time to really put it to the test.

Web Men was an idea I had kicking around during the summer. My friend Matt and I wanted to make a fictional comedy/drama series based around the 1990s internet/tech boom.
You probably won't find this funny at all if you don't get 90s web/tech references.

Some of these shots are not the greatest, we literally shot this in a day and a half. With winter some of the lighting changed drastically fast. Our audio guy decided not to show up so the camera operator was running audio and video at the same time and had a hard time keeping track of all the microphones. But despite the troubles we ran into I am very happy with this.

With actors as bad as us we needed multiple takes. In the end we had filled my 64gb card multiple times, and ended up with a little over 300gbs of DNGs. Once color corrected and turned into MOVs the footage was around 600gbs.

I graded in Davinci Resolve, I started with Hunter's LUT and color graded from there. I feel like Hunter's LUT is a great starting point for RAW footage.

I only had one 64gb card to shoot on. It was a Transcend 1000x. When that card got full we would dump the footage onto a laptop. (2009 Macbook Pro no USB 3.0) The transfer times were insane. Not ML's fault. But it took me 1 hour to dump 64gbs. Next time I will definitely have a second card on hand.

Syncing up audio when editing was a bit of a pain. But not too much of a hassle. We used a clapboard, and since the camera beeps when recording starts I just had to make sure the beep was right at the start of the clips, and the clapboard matched up.

Anyways, here is Web Men: (password is: coolpics)

We are planning on making more! I have written 3 episodes already. Feel free to leave some input below, hope you enjoyed this!

Camera: 5DM2
ML Build: 10/25/13
Shot at: 2:35.1 1800x800 scaled to 1920x818
Color Grading: Davinci Resolve 10 (Hunter's LUT + Extra coloring)
Audio: Zoom H4N + 2 wireless lav mics
Lenses: 50mm f/1.8 + 24-105mm f/4.0
Video Grain: http://rgrain.com/

aaphotog

Nice short. The guy in the orange suit made this kind of hard to watch though. I don't know if this was his natural voice or not, but it sounds like he is TRYING, really hard to act. Every thing else was natural. I liked the video for what it was.

delrosestephen

Hahaha that was me. I know what you mean. I'm not an actor at all and that wasn't my natural voice. My friend Matt ("Sam" in the show) and I wrote this and made up the characters ourselves and figured we'd play them. Thanks for the input, glad you liked it!