Silent picture

Started by stoopkid, December 08, 2013, 04:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoopkid

So my understanding is that the ML team cannot simply do whatever they want and the best we have is "screenshots" of the liveview when we want to take a picture without actuating the mirror. But is there a reason that this isn't a thing that canon just puts in? When they invented liveview, why did they make it actuate the mirror? I can at least understand the shutter, maybe shutter speed it more easily controlled mechanically than electronically. But why on Earth is the mirror moving? There must be a reason. Is it just because they didn't bother separating those two actions, mirror and shutter?

1%

uhm... the mirror is over the sensor. lv is sensor wide open read as fast as they can to create video.

stoopkid

Right, LiveView has the mirror up. When a photo is exposing, the mirror is up. So why is the mirror doing anything when taking a photo in LiveView?

edit: obviously, the mirror has to move when entering LiveView, I mean while in LV, maybe that's the confusion.

Greg

In a series of three-digit (xxxD), the movement shutter linked with the movement of the mirror.

Silent pic full res, would be great. I was looking for a way, but it failed. I think the crop silent mode, running the entire sensor, but is saved cropped section.
I could be wrong, I do not know exactly how it works lv_save_raw.

stoopkid

Ah, I see. Do we know if there are any physical limitations to taking a full resolution image without actuating the shutter? Or is it currently just a matter of figuring it out?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: stoopkid on December 08, 2013, 06:25:48 AM
Ah, I see. Do we know if there are any physical limitations to taking a full resolution image without actuating the shutter? Or is it currently just a matter of figuring it out?

People have removed the mirror physically. Probably not the option you're looking for, but it's an option that is there. (Don't need ML installed to do it :P )

stoopkid

Oh no, I'm certainly not that unfavorable of the mirror... I'm just curious about it.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: stoopkid on December 08, 2013, 10:19:10 AM
Oh no, I'm certainly not that unfavorable of the mirror... I'm just curious about it.

Yeah, I think it has been questioned before. A lot of us would probably use it if it was possible.
You should try doing a search of the forums, it's popped up once or twice before, but not much info about it.

1%

You can't take a "silent" picture without the mirror and shutter being open. Its a simple as that... so the camera will have to be in LV no matter what. Otherwise are you going to shoot through the shutter + mirror via magic?

Its pretty much 1:1 when in zoom/crop LV, you just have to move the focus box 3 times and that would make for a full sized silent pic.

Also, when the mirror is up, the VF is blocked, even if you were to leave the sensor exposed under it, linked to the shutter or not.

Datadogie

A lot of people like looking through the eyepiece when in photo mode. To take away the mirror you would need an electronic viewfinder or the mirror glass would have to be see through thus taking away some of the light.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

ItsMeLenny

Ah, I personally meant taking photos in live view without the mirror swinging.

stoopkid

Yeah, by no means would I like to see the mirror gone. I rarely use LV. It just seems to me like Canon would have the ability to leave the mirror up when taking shots in LV rather than actuating it each time. So I was wondering if there was any specific reason for it. Given that Mirror Lock Up exists it seems that the only thing that it's needed for is closing the shutter at the end of the exposure, the exposure can start any time after the shutter has opened. So I wonder if ending the exposure with the shutter rather than electronically somehow gives better results.

1%, I think you're still misunderstanding me. I realize that the mirror must be up. My question is simply why does the mirror ever need to come down in LiveView mode. And why Canon would have it move when there is never any purpose for the mirror to be down while in LV mode.

Anyway, I'm only curious... It's not particularly relevant to anything.

1%

On some cameras the assemblies are linked. Also for quick AF.