3TB Seagate RAID0 config. using ST3000DM001 vs ST3000VM002

Started by jose_ugs, November 30, 2013, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jose_ugs

upsss... my bad, he was talking about redundant RAIDs, not RAID0...

1%

Heh for what its worth the samsung spinpoints (F1-older) have been good to me... also have a toshiba but it's only been running a couple of months. WD and seagate drives are a maaaaybe.. I always check the reliability and failure rates online before buying.. the older <500GB wd and seagate stuff I have is still running but gets upgraded as I run out of space. Backups go to LTO tape... that fucker is looooud.

reddeercity

In my Raid 5 SAS I have 4 2TB Seagate Barracudas 7200rpm
Same for my raid-0 on laptop Seagate Barracudas .
I find that these drives are the fastest and most reliable ,
at lest for me .

nigel

I'm running 6 of those ST3000DM001 HDDs in raid 10 using an areca card. The benchmarks are here if you're interested forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/storage-clinic-119/areca-arc-1882ix-12-16-24-card-4477411.html

1%

I know earlier seagate had that fw issue which would kill your drive... actual sas drives would be like 2x what the satas are so makes sense to use them for raid doubled.

Cityeater

Quote from: 1% on December 05, 2013, 04:27:57 PM
Backups go to LTO tape... that fucker is looooud.

I think Samsung sold its 3.5" drive business to Toshiba so they should be pretty similar to the Samsung F3s. Toshiba also just purchased OCZs ssd business.
Are the LTO tapes very expensive? I know a couple of businesses which run LTO and it seems really convenient for backup.

1%

The tapes are cheap... esp used tapes and hold like 400gb (I think lto-3) for like $10... the drives are not but you might get lucky on ebay. A lot of people dumped the older ones so there are probably some deals around.