Charity science outreach video shot on 5diii

Started by Dannington, December 02, 2013, 09:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannington

Hi,  I shot this a few months ago and cut it together for this Women in Science charity.  I used ML on my 5Diii primarily for the focus peaking and compression tweaks.  Audio was recorded using a Roland R26 with a boom attached.  I had some shoulder rig which I borrowed - I can't remember which one.  I bought a loupe for the screen which was absolutely essential - it was a magnetic one which didn't quite fit but i'm resolved to buy a better one for the next shoot I do.  Lens was the totally excellent EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM for the most part with a EF 50mm 1.4 for some of the picked up GVs.

I put it together with Media Composer through AMA which worked better than I thought.  I synched the audio to the video by hand, which took a while but once i'd started it was easier just to finish it that way - i'll be looking for software to do this next time.  (I was disappointed to be reminded that the 5Diii is really a prosumer camera in terms of consistent TOD timecode - I know with proper video cameras the TC will slip about a bit over the course of a day, but the 5Diii was out by up to 30 frames between stop/starts over the 3 hours I filmed).

I'm not really a cameraman - I'm an editor in my day job - and I had to work quite hard to make this watchable.  Also, being an editor and used to being in quite a lot of control most of the time, I was pretty hard on myself during editing.  Also note, i'm an offline editor meaning it doesn't matter too much if i'm colourblind - which I am - so I know the grade's not perfect - I used a scope.

Anyway - let me know what you think.

Dan.

limey

I thought it was great. I love the idea of soapbox science as well.