Free EOS 550d for development purposes

Started by painya, November 18, 2013, 03:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

painya

Hello, I have a 550d that I am willing to donate to Magic Lantern. It does not work in photo mode (There was a shutter error so I ripped it out  >:() It shoots Liveview perfectly though. I live in the US (Oregon), and would take paypal for shipping. I thought the Dual ISO H.264 would be an awesome thing to work on it with, but it is ultimately up to the DEV. If more than one dev wants it I will let you sort it out.
Hope this helps,
Painya
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

engardeknave

You can remove the shutter and still use it LV? How? Is this only the 550d?

painya

I had to move around metal parts. that held the shutter, but yeah it works. And yes just the 550d, batteries, and cap. Video quality is the same.

ItsMeLenny

There was the old discussion of modding the 550D sd card slot to write faster than the 21mbps (megabit? megabyte?)
That or replacing it with some other electronics thingy.
So maybe if there's some sort of engineer around.

Greg

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Greg on November 18, 2013, 02:44:04 PM
It's probably not possible.

I think it is possible. Just incredibly unlikely without any hardware documentation.

painya

Well my 550d would be a prime camera to experiment on.

ItsMeLenny

Have you had any takers on this?

If not, and if you're planning to get rid of it anyway, would you post to Australia?
(At my expense of course, depending how much it cost).

I'd probably do a tear down of it to start with, there are 550D tear downs but none that are really satisfactory.

painya

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on November 28, 2013, 06:10:44 AM
Have you had any takers on this?

If not, and if you're planning to get rid of it anyway, would you post to Australia?
(At my expense of course, depending how much it cost).

I'd probably do a tear down of it to start with, there are 550D tear downs but none that are really satisfactory.
No takers. What would a tear down accomplish. Email me at [email protected]