Mountains of Valais - Auto ETTR

Started by Chrigu, December 05, 2013, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrigu

Thanks a lot Magic Lantern Team, with your work you made my process a lot easier. An important part of any Day-Night-Day (Holy Grail) recordings was the Auto ETTR function and I used it a lot! as well the Intervalometer and the Post-Deflicker.

Through fog, rain, snow and even wind gusts of up to 120 km/h I am happy to have completed this project. Mountain of Valais is by far my most time consuming venture, which at points pushed me to my utter most limits. With 40kg of kit on my back it was not always easy to arrive to my chosen locations. After 15 days of filming in between August and November this year, and as a further four weeks of postproduction the project is finally finished.

More Info under the Vimeo Link....

glubber

Wow...fantastisch....simply amazing Christian!

Imagining the strains you have gone through (i guess it was way harder than i could ever imagine) makes this project even more amazing.
Let alone the endurance needed to finish the postproduction.

i have 2 questions regarding your post-workflow with LRTimelpase:
- how did you combine ML-deflicker with LRTimelpase?
- why did you use AutoETTR rather than the EV-step method G.Wegener of LRT is proposing for the Holy Grails?

many thanks!
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

Chrigu

Thanks Glubber

- how did you combine ML-deflicker with LRTimelpase?
Most of the time I just set the Keyframes for the changing WB Situation and with the tool option I made individual transitions. 2 times I overwritten by error the xmp files created by the ML Deflicker. In this case I complete recreated the deflicker in LRTimelapse. One with the Holy Grail workflow and one with the deflicker workflow.  I had to test which one worked better.

- why did you use AutoETTR rather than the EV-step method G.Wegener of LRT is proposing for the Holy Grails?
I tested AutoETTR and I worked perfectly for me so I never tryed the EV-Step method. So I can't say which one is better

RenatoPhoto

Congratulations!  Stunning place and stunning work!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

arrinkiiii

jafa

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

vnguyen972

Love my EOS7D!

pholler

Simply superb!

Did you use LiveView or MLU?
What are your AETTR-Settings?
Did you use LRTimelapse for all the movement?

I still can't get flicker-free AETTR-Timelapses with ML. I don't get it but it always flickers, whatever i do. Also using Gwegner deflicker in LRTimelapse doesn't help.

Chrigu

@pholler

Did you use LiveView or MLU?
No there is no need for LiveView. Just activate the image review (I use 4s) on the canon menu and activate global draw.

What are your AETTR-Settings?
Most of the time default settings. I can't remember which scene but on one or two scenes I used Midtone SNR limit 7 and Shadow SNR limit 3EV. I had the feeling that they were too much underexposed.

My personal Checklist before I shoot a AETTR Scene

• Shoot only in RAW (not Raw and JPEG)
  • Global Draw Activated with ETTR Hint
  • Activate Post Deflicker (I use Adobe XMP)
  • Interval not shorter then 5s
  • Image Review 4s
  • Set the correct max Exposer in the AETTR Menu
  • Set AETTR Always ON
  • Set Max ISO you want to use in the Canon Menu

Hope it helps you to get flicker free scenes

Rinad