Among Lions and Elephants in 5D2 RAW

Started by Africashot, December 04, 2013, 09:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

Shot on ML 5DII in RAW and some ML t3i in 3x crop, visit http://africashot.com/among-lions-elephants/ for more info, or http://goo.gl/ZM43FW for more on safaris in Kenya.
ML 5D2 & T3i

arrinkiiii

Just lovely, very professional and accurate  :D  Love the shoot in the bathroom that you are focusing the balcony and then you focus to the Elephant, just beautiful composition. The only scene that i didn't like is the 2 seconds scene on the dinner room  8)

Good work and very nice place to visit. The voice of the video clip it's you?   

RenatoPhoto

Nicely done but should be able to afford a 5D3 and make it even better!
Congratulations for your way of life... I envy you!  I hope that a miracle happens and someday I can go to Africa with my 5D3.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

DeafEyeJedi

Love it! I just can't imagine HOW MUCH better it would have been if you had the 5D3.

However, it is just as good as it gets! I love the compositions and your sliders were well shot!

Well job done brother!

Now I want to go to Africa with my 5D3!!!

=)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

beauchampy

Fellow 5D II shooter here - beautiful footage!

Can you give a brief overview of your workflow?
What lenses did you use?
How did you do the smooth rotating / panning shots?

Very nice!

Africashot

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 04, 2013, 10:02:12 PM
Just lovely, very professional and accurate  :D  Love the shoot in the bathroom that you are focusing the balcony and then you focus to the Elephant, just beautiful composition. The only scene that i didn't like is the 2 seconds scene on the dinner room  8)

Good work and very nice place to visit. The voice of the video clip it's you?   

Thanks Arrinkiii! This was actually shot back in June, still in the early days of the hack. The only working card I had was a SanDisk 60 mbs 16gb, thus I had to be VERY disciplined with my shots, and I simply overestimated the RAW capabilities in low light at the dinner shot...
You can get this voice for as little as 5 bucks right here: http://goo.gl/TSPfdA

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on December 04, 2013, 10:30:43 PM
Nicely done but should be able to afford a 5D3 and make it even better!
Congratulations for your way of life... I envy you!  I hope that a miracle happens and someday I can go to Africa with my 5D3.
You are so right! Once I figure out how to solve this ongoing nuisance of having to pay the rent and paying for food I might just finally be able to get a hold of the 5D3 :-\, meanwhile the 5D2 will have to continue providing :D
Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 04, 2013, 10:38:41 PM
Love it! I just can't imagine HOW MUCH better it would have been if you had the 5D3.

However, it is just as good as it gets! I love the compositions and your sliders were well shot!

Well job done brother!

Now I want to go to Africa with my 5D3!!!

=)
Thanks, really appreciate your kind words! Here is a deal; wait a little longer until the 5DIV is out and come only when your ready to upgrade, then I'll take you around and on the end of your safari you sell me your old 5DIII body, what do you think? 8)
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

Quote from: beauchampy on December 04, 2013, 11:39:17 PM
Fellow 5D II shooter here - beautiful footage!

Can you give a brief overview of your workflow?
What lenses did you use?
How did you do the smooth rotating / panning shots?

Very nice!
Thanks!
I only had a single,slow 16gb card at the time that would always max out at 300 frames or so (it was back in June and the hack was still relatively new) I initially started editing proxies and placed the DNGs into Premiere via Dynamic link, but my machine couldn't really handle the grading via dynamic link well so I ended up rendering out Cineform master files in After effects and replacing them.
I used a Rokinon 14mm cinelens, the good old Canon 24-105 L, the nifty 50 1.8 and the simply awful and terribly soft 55-250 on the t3i for some of the tele shots or when I'd run out of card space on the 5D2.
As for the panning, the answer is probably not as exciting as you may think; I recycled a pair of old roller skates by attaching their wheels to a square piece of plywood in 'V' shape so as they grip well on to any kind of tube, then I used regular plumbing steel pipes as rails as they can easily be found in most camps. I simply put my beat up, but trusty, weifeng tripod on top of it and pan it while sliding along the rails trying to keep the parallax as steady as possible.
I guess now you know it all, thanks again!

ML 5D2 & T3i

arrinkiiii

Thanks Africashot !!! It's now 8:36am and you have make my day  :D THANK YOU   :D

bart

Hi Africashot,

Very nice work. It looks like a good formula with the local company and footage you can collect in a day. Video shots are nice, image quality is good enough.
I've shot a promo of a camp in the Masai Mara back in 2011. It's really nice to do and I hope to do lots more.  Let's hope others won't take all the fish out of the pool, but that's life.  Good luck with further projects. If everything goes as planned I'll return to Masai Mara this summer for a 3 week shoot.

Africashot

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 05, 2013, 09:45:56 AM
Thanks Africashot !!! It's now 8:36am and you have make my day  :D THANK YOU   :D

Glad I did! Thanks again!
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

Quote from: bart on December 05, 2013, 10:37:42 AM
Hi Africashot,

Very nice work. It looks like a good formula with the local company and footage you can collect in a day. Video shots are nice, image quality is good enough.
I've shot a promo of a camp in the Masai Mara back in 2011. It's really nice to do and I hope to do lots more.  Let's hope others won't take all the fish out of the pool, but that's life.  Good luck with further projects. If everything goes as planned I'll return to Masai Mara this summer for a 3 week shoot.
The Mara is an unbelievable experience! It is as if animals were posing wherever you look, I was less then two meters away from a Lioness with her cubs and simply couldn't believe how little she even cared about my presence; we shot these two videos during a four day trip to both Mara and Amboseli:

ML 5D2 & T3i