Brief aquarium video on 50D

Started by decaffeinatedjoe, November 09, 2013, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decaffeinatedjoe

Well, I may as well make my first post here about a video I shot! I've been getting used to Magic Lantern for a few months on a 50D. Currently I only have one lens, a 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Canon lens. I'm not sure if it's really that great of a lens. Shot in RAW at 1584x662 on a 16GB Toshiba Exceria 1066x card. All I used was raw2dng and  Davinci Resolve Lite. Upscaled (and letterboxed because I forgot to adjust the settings) to 1080p.

Just wondering if the video looks on par with video other people have shot, or if a better lens may help and so forth. I noticed a lot of moire on the stingray's spots due to the ripples of the water. Not sure if there is any way to get rid moire that extreme and random, either in post or otherwise. If anyone wants to see a few DNGs I can post them.

sick stu

Hi dood.
I to have a 50D and when using after effects cs4 on WIN7 and importing Cdng's and then exporting .AVI's i was seeing
lots of moire. Then i changed to exporting .MOV Cineform and with the quality slider set to MAX (in the quicktime export settings)
i noticed there was a lot LESS moire. Im currently getting my head round Resolve 10 lite, after a few tests it seems After Effects
is giving me slightly less moire than resolve. I still need to do more tests at different resolutions.
Not sure if this information helps you and your computer set up, but exporting a .MOV is noticeably better.
stu

sick stu

hi again, forgot to mention about lenses!
Im on a tight budget BUT lenses are also important to me, buying the biggest and expensive one will NOT
always give you the best results! Try not to fall into that trap. I have a selection of old manual lenses
the cheapest one was a Minolta 28mm f2 at only £17. I also own a bog standard canon 18-200mm
with IS and this has given me some of my best ML RAW footage so far
http://vimeo.com/76921800
i also own the canon kit lens 18-55mm f3.5
(currently unused with raw) and hope to shoot some tests with it soon. Lots of people hate the 18-55 kit lens
but i have shot some very good night stills with it. i Also have a Manual Olympus 50mm F1.8 (£35)
This is a truly stunning lens made of Metal and glass and would outlast any plastic lens, theres plently on e bay.
All the footage i have uploaded has all been shot with 2nd hand manual or 2nd hand canon lenses (non L series).
SLR lenses new but mainly old were made to capture to the resolution of FILM!
Keep that in mind when choosing your next lens.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stuCameraman1/videos

DeafEyeJedi

Very well shot and excellent editing as well!

This is one of the reasons why the 50D are still at high demand from practically anywhere!

Well done.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109