Has anyone found an answer to that Quicktime luminance glitch for FCPX preview?

Started by FilmPerson, November 26, 2013, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilmPerson

I'm importing a prores file into fcpx.  If I play it using quicktime the clip is desaturated.  Usually I can play it on a different media player to avoid the problem, but FCPX is probably playing the preview in Quicktime because that's also desaturated.  It makes it hard to color correct, anyone have any solutions?  Even after I've exported from fcpx the clip is fine, so it's just the quicktime player that's screwing up.

reddeercity

I work in Final Cut Pro x, I don't have this problem.
is you monitor calibrated, how are you processing your raw ? but to answer your question ,
You can use an A/V output to monitor for grading.
I have a AJA Kona Lhi Capture card in my MacPro connected to a THX Panasonic plasma
that's Color Calibrated to rec 709 full range.
Blackmagic design also makes a small A/V USB 3.0 device you can use ,
"Ultra Studio SDI" has hdmi & sdi out. I also has this one but I use it on my PC Workstation .
Your Grade is only as good as your Monitor  :) 

FilmPerson

Thanks for the helpful reply.  I'm in the process of hooking up an external monitor, still trying to figure things out.  However, if I over saturate my monitor setup to compensate for the lack of color in my fcpx preview, wouldn't that screw up the preview for Lightroom and Davinci, which do not need additional saturation?

reddeercity

Do not over compensate any thing with you external monitor,
You need to adjust you working space  or your Display Monitor.
I use a 32 inch Sony Brava LCDTV on hdmi for my main Monitor, just use the Apple
Monitor adjust profile program to rec 709 HD then adjust the main to match
the reference monitor .
The reference monitor stream from the A/V device will be the true output that what you would see as rec709 HD
There again it all depends on the quality of the monitor.     

budafilms

I found something that maybe help you.
When I open a file with quicktime or Final X, the colour are darker, specially the black tones. Something that in Da Vinci never happen.

My footage was in Pal.

So, I put my monitor, in preferences, in Pal too (was NTSC).

And I donĀ“t have that differences.

FilmPerson