Q: 14-bit RAW video into H.264 video (no Hi10-AVC Intra, read just PLEASE)

Started by Allen, November 30, 2013, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen

Is there any possibility to get 14-bit picture into the processor which will convert the High-Dynamic-Range pictures into 8-bit H.264 video?
So we would have 8-bit HDR video in FULL HD (not only in HD on Canon 600D because of write speed) with cca 12EV?

The result would be a video with less contrast and more EV for good postproduction.

chmee

video-trans-/encoding-details inside the digic are quite unknown - so, not possible afaik. Do you know the picture style editor or styles like technicolor, prolost_flat, flaat_10, flaat_11 or flaat_12? Try them and say for yourself if it works. flaat10 is my picturestyle when i record with vanilla-OS.

https://vimeo.com/62968383
http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-styles/

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

maxotics

Quote from: Allen on November 30, 2013, 02:05:39 PM
Is there any possibility to get 14-bit picture into ... into 8-bit ... anything?

And make it like 14bit? No, unless you spend a lot of energy (battery power) and time compressing it.  I would think the cameras do the best they can do--after all, they spend millions upon millions on it.

One can think of it this way.  You have a palette of 14 scales of gray.  You need to convert them into 8 scales for something else.  So 1-2 because 1, 3-4, become 2, 5-6 becomes 3, 7-8, becomes 4; 9-10, 5, 11-12, 6, 13-14, 7 (and we throw out the 8, for example)

Let's say you have two gray colors in what you shot, and they are 2 and 6.  You want to reduce the exposure by 1.   

They were convered to 1 and 3, so now they become 0 and 2.   You went from a 300% difference (in 14bit) to 200% (in 8bit).  More importantly, you went from some gray 1, in 14bit, to no gray 0, in 8bit.

At a certain point, lossless compression tricks run out and there is no way to preserve, let alone, increase image quality (however you measure it).