Put "Flash functions settings" menu on the Q key (6D, probably 5d3)

Started by Marsu42, November 27, 2013, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

The "External Speedlite Control"->"Flash function settings" is basically just like the Q menu, but for many vital flash features - it's a really nice new menu vs. 60D and nearly vital if you don't own a big flash with its own lcd panel.

Problem is: This menu is tiresome to reach, and it cannot be pinned to "My Menu" directly. I would like to have this menu on the Q key, either as a replacement for the shooting menu or as double-click Q.

Question 1: The current way to do this (w/o scripting) would be to write a module that intercepts the Q key. Is there any way to get this flash menu on screen *directly* through a Canon api call, or do I have to simulate the long keychain MENU->R->R->D->D->SET->U->Up->SET ?

Question 2: If there's no direct way, how do I detect that the Canon menu is currently active, so that I know that I have to exit and re-enter it to make the keychain work?

Audionut

Direct access to flash settings would be extremely useful.

Quote from: Marsu42 on November 27, 2013, 08:48:18 PM
Problem is: This menu is tiresome to reach, and it cannot be pinned to "My Menu" directly.

What do you mean by this?  On the 5D3 you can pin flash settings to my menu.  I have it as the top option in mine and be sure to leave my menu as the default menu. 

Press Canon menu button, then the set button and you are in the flash menu.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on November 29, 2013, 08:59:30 AM
What do you mean by this?

At least on 6D, you cannot pin *sub-menu* items from the flash menu to "My Menu", unlike every other oddball C.Fn setting with which it is possible...

... meaning for example changing flash settings like external fec through the camera still involves some scrolling and clicking which is strange since the new "Flash function settings" is just made for quick access like the Q menu, but it's wasted if it's hidden like that.

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on November 29, 2013, 10:07:41 AM
At least on 6D, you cannot pin *sub-menu* items from the flash menu to "My Menu"

Yes, same on 5D3.   :(

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on November 29, 2013, 04:52:06 PM
Yes, same on 5D3.   :(

The flash fw part seems to be a somewhat separate module from the other camera fw resulting in this "My Menu" behavior and also the infamous flash prop disappears after changing settings so no one was able to re it to a usable state yet :-\

1%

Yep, seems all flash settings are annoyingly temporary. Never tried to pin them to mymenu but this kinda confirms it. Maybe same as with the button controller, separate part, limited access.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on November 30, 2013, 06:12:56 PM
Yep, seems all flash settings are annoyingly temporary.

I hope some way will be found to "activate" the flash prop(s), obviously the Canon fw is able to do it...