Denoiser Plugin for Lightroom?

Started by FilmPerson, November 26, 2013, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilmPerson

I'm trying to find a denoiser plugin that lets me edit my raw frames.  Most require me to make a tiff copy of the picture, so I'm not able to copy my changes to the other frames. Any suggestions?

Walter Schulz

Current LR design doesn't allow plugins to work as known from applications like Photoshop CS. If you need further information about this limitation: This has been discussed a lot after "Perfect Layers" was introduced. See http://regex.info/blog/2011-04-23/1753 and others.

Ciao
Walter

FilmPerson

Shoot.  Any suggestions for getting rid of noise if I'm color correcting in Lightroom?  I'm assuming Neat Video wouldn't be able to detect noise patterns as well on color corrected footage...

mrnv45

ive used the denoiser option inside of lightroom...  whats wrong with that one.?

FilmPerson

It's alright, but it's kind of basic.  Guess I'll just have to keep my iso really low.

painya

Like a wise man once said:
Your images don't have to be as clean the bedroom of somebody with OCD. The story conveyed, the mood evoked, is what really matters.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Marsu42

Quote from: mrnv45 on November 26, 2013, 03:12:05 AM
ive used the denoiser option inside of lightroom...  whats wrong with that one.?

The Lightroom (ACR) denoiser cannot tell between subject and background and tends to sharpen background noise, so to get good results from higher iso sources you have to use the brush to prevent this from happening.

Smarter algorithms like Noise Ninja or esp. PS CC'S "smart sharpen" do this automatically and give superior results if viewed @100% w/o local adjustments. The best state of the art denoiser by far is DxO's PRIME in their "Pro Optics", but beware, it doesn't work on dng and takes some minutes for each picture.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 26, 2013, 01:59:09 AM
Current LR design doesn't allow plugins to work as known from applications like Photoshop CS.

Indeed and it's unfortunate if you want to keep a raw workflow, but it seems it's unlikely to change since Adobe wants to keep Camera Raw as a self-contained "good enough" editing solution while keeping selling Creative Cloud licenses :-\ ...

...it's not just about the file size cr2/dng vs. 48bit tiff, but lossless wb adjustment is gone once it's not raw anymore and many plugins might profit from seeing the actual raw data and not just the demoisaiced version, esp. denoiser like DxO shows us.

Danne

@Marsu42
Would it make a difference to apply corrections within the gradient tool in acr? I tried a workflow when working with ramps and scripting and noticed a lot less flickering this way. There is also a denoiser within the gradients. A little demo below.

Marsu42

Quote from: Danne on November 26, 2013, 01:46:01 PM
Would it make a difference to apply corrections within the gradient tool in acr?

Same thing, you can turn nr up or down with either tool. Your interface language looks somewhat strange though :->

Danne