Fixing random colour strips across DNGs?

Started by Tai.Fighter, November 24, 2013, 10:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkarlsen

Quote from: a1ex on November 29, 2013, 02:39:32 AM
I believe it's caused by our incomplete understanding on how EDMAC works. I don't think it has anything to do with the card.

Lowering CPU usage might help (for example, turn off GlobalDraw).

Is there a way to let Globaldraw kill itself upon pushing rec? I really need it before, but not really during recording.

1%

On mine there is. MLV_REC has it too I think.

hkarlsen

Quote from: 1% on November 29, 2013, 04:27:35 PM
On mine there is. MLV_REC has it too I think.

Hmm. You mean there's a module for this function? Could you please share how you make globaldraw hide on rec?

Midphase

There is no module for that, what he means is that it also works with .mlv recording.

I think you press Q under your Global Draw settings and you can access the various settings which should allow you to set it as enabled only during preview mode and not under recording.

hkarlsen

Quote from: Midphase on November 29, 2013, 09:14:21 PM
There is no module for that, what he means is that it also works with .mlv recording.

I think you press Q under your Global Draw settings and you can access the various settings which should allow you to set it as enabled only during preview mode and not under recording.

I cant really get this to work the way I want. Quickreview is only displaying the rec indicator upon recording, nothing else. Liveview mode is not different from "ON.all modes" as I see it. Any tips? I found somewhere to clear overlays upon recording, but that just gives me a clean 3:2 frame when recording.

Thanks

blakekimmel

Hello All,

I have a new 5D Mark III and am experience similar looking glitches but much worse (pictured below). They are vertical pink glitches affecting SOME rare frames of SOME clips. I am using a very recent build of ML (Feb 28th-ish).

Interestingly MLV Dump (from Feb 28th) run from a terminal STOPS the process when it reaches the first frame that has pink glitches this and reads: "[ERROR] File ends in middle of a block". MLV Mystic just seems to power through and spit out the problematic frames. A1ex responded earlier in this thread with. "I believe it's caused by our incomplete understanding on how EDMAC works." Can someone help me understand a way to fix?

I am using:
Komputerbay 64GB 1050X (shot two other projects in stock h264 with no corruptions or problems)
Regular Canon Battery
Already tried sRAW image quality setting trick.

Been reading lots of success stories of "terabytes" of Raw footage from 5DM3 with no problems, so, scratching my head. Thanks!

Midphase

Quote from: blakekimmel on March 04, 2014, 05:58:35 AM
I am using:
Komputerbay 64GB 1050X (shot two other projects in stock h264 with no corruptions or problems)
Regular Canon Battery
Already tried sRAW image quality setting trick.

Been reading lots of success stories of "terabytes" of Raw footage from 5DM3 with no problems, so, scratching my head. Thanks!

In my tests, I am beginning to find .mlv to be more prone to these types of issues than .raw. I don't know why that is, but what I can tell you is that while .raw has been a very stable format almost since the very beginning (and I have indeed shot terabytes of video with it), .mlv is causing some strange corrupted frames with more frequency than I'd like.

I would advise you to try using .raw and see if the issues go away. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with .mlv, but all I can say is that before .mlv I never ran into the very type of corruption that your post shows, and after switching to .mlv it has happened a couple of times.

Today I participated in a massive camera shootout, and I used .raw. No issues and no corrupted frames whatsoever.

budafilms

I read it here and in the other thread. I really like to see  the difference shoots in the really interesting cameras to compare the result, if you can of course provide a link or demo!

Midphase

The guys that ran the shootout will publish it on Vimeo when the time comes, we were shooting all day and I'm sure it'll take them some time to sort through all of the takes.

As much of a fanboy as I am of ML raw, I don't expect it to have as much of a fighting chance against the likes of the Alexa or the RED Epic with the Dragon sensor. Without having seen all of the footage, I can tell you that dynamic range-wise and low-light sensitivity-wise the 5D3 raw will likely outperform the Blackmagic 4K (particularly considering that the Blackmagic wasn't recording in raw but in ProRes).

budafilms

Quote from: Midphase on March 07, 2014, 08:54:41 AM
The guys that ran the shootout will publish it on Vimeo when the time comes, we were shooting all day and I'm sure it'll take them some time to sort through all of the takes.

As much of a fanboy as I am of ML raw, I don't expect it to have as much of a fighting chance against the likes of the Alexa or the RED Epic with the Dragon sensor. Without having seen all of the footage, I can tell you that dynamic range-wise and low-light sensitivity-wise the 5D3 raw will likely outperform the Blackmagic 4K (particularly considering that the Blackmagic wasn't recording in raw but in ProRes).

I read about BMC 4 K and the limitations in low light. Even the sensor size it's a big problem for the lens - 20% less than APS-C size.
Alexa it's really fantastic. Amaizing even for me than Red epic. I used for tv commercials, rented.

But, well, 5D .RAW it's a big deal for the moment.

Midphase

Talking to the cinematographer of the shoot, the general feeling is that different cameras are suited for different things. They are just tools, and in the hands of the right individual, they are all more than capable to get formidable results.

Pierluca72

I noticed these weird frames after updating the build. I'm using Feb08 and it works fine, no colored frames. When I try to update I get at least one or two, after one minute of mlv video. (it doesn't happen with .raw). I have to test more the latest builds trying to disable some feature and find out which one is causing the problem

Midphase

The problem with nightly builds is that some seemingly innocent change or bug fix could open up some issues with other parts of the code. It usually takes a few days to weeks before people start noticing the incorrect behavior.

I would like to propose a system not dissimilar to what Tragic Lantern has done here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987.0

They point to certain builds that are stable or semi-stable, as well as the nightlies for those who are more adventurous.

As of right now, there is no system in place (at least not that I know of) for members to determine which of the more recent nightlies has been deemed fairly stable. It's a bit like playing the lottery, and going backwards to an older build isn't necessarily any safer where for instance the Nov.12 might be great, but the Nov.13 might have introduced an issue that wasn't picked up and addressed until Dec.2.

You guys understand what I'm trying to say?

Thoughts?

Pierluca72

Quote from: Pierluca72 on March 08, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
I'm using Feb08 and it works fine
Sorry I didn't specify that goes for the 5d3

blakekimmel

Quote from: Pierluca72 on March 08, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
I noticed these weird frames after updating the build. I'm using Feb08 and it works fine, no colored frames. When I try to update I get at least one or two, after one minute of mlv video. (it doesn't happen with .raw). I have to test more the latest builds trying to disable some feature and find out which one is causing the problem

Thank you for the response! I feel better now that I have read this since those problems were my first 5D3 raw experience. I posted similar post in MLV Mystic thread and read someone who just recently started using a build from very late February and was getting similar color frames but previously had no problems. Thank you for specifying Feb 8th as well, I will be going back to that build and doing many tests before a huge trip to Haiti where I want to shoot some RAW video.

Would LOVE anyone elses input into this, if anyone has these frames and finds a new nightly build this month that fixes the problem, I would love to upgrade but until then I must use a better build with no problems. I only shot 20 minutes of video with my late Feb build and had many instances of problematic frames.

1%

QuoteYou guys understand what I'm trying to say?

Thoughts?

Yes please, list the most stable builds and then list if something broke. I can't test everything myself, same goes for ML main. Also something may work great on one camera but have strange issues on another.

blakekimmel

Just shot about 10 clips with a FEB 8th build that Pierluca72 sent me. Processed straight to DNG with MLV Mystic. Got NO glitch pink color frames or problems. My late FEB. build had many problems when this much footage was recorded. Looks like build to build these type of glitch frames come and go. I am wary of double posting the problem elsewhere, so I am only writing it here.

Excuse the excitement! Just got a 5DM3 two weeks ago and happy to start taking RAW to my real projects now.

LEVISDAVIS

Installed ML on a 5D 3 a couple of days ago... I have two 128 1050X cards with a custom Komputerbay firmware to operate / install ML on a Canon 50D. I get better write speeds in FAT than EXFAT. One of these cards appears to be about 5MB/s slower than the other. Anyway, I consistently get pink frame noise when shooting with Global Draw Turned on... When Global Draw is turned off, I will eventually get corrupt frames... It doesn't take long... I believe it to be related to the card not writing properly with the build I am using.

Truly honing in on workable solution... Currently processing about 15 minutes worth of vid in DaVinci. First time I've seen the 5D 3 in good lighting shooting MLV... Really makes you want to make it work. :-) Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the help and effort. It really comes through in the image.
Levi S. Davis

hkarlsen

I just installed nightly from march the 15th, and shot through 6x 64 GB Komputerbay 64 GB (two different batches) and 2x Lexar 64GB
Firmware 113
HDMi monitor connected
raw_rec module, not mlv_rec
Global Draw off when recording

I put the DNG through Resolve and outputted Proreses that I watched. Did not see any colou-strips frames. I really believe this to be connected to Global Draw. I might also have been corrected in the nightlies, since my latest install was from November I think.

Since Global Draw doesnt overlay correctly on HDMI out (it "enters" the actual frame, making it difficult to frame correctly) I want it gone on recording anyway. But there is still (?) no way of making GD kill itself upon recording. I saw this feature beeing enabled in mlv_rec, but I am staying on raw_rec for this next shoot at least. Or have I missed something?