5D3 Dual-ISO RAW Video Test #1 (ISO 100/800)

Started by DeafEyeJedi, November 21, 2013, 07:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Magicians -

Once again here's one of my first tests with Dual ISO Raw Video recording with ISO 100/800.

I have tried two different known methods of workflows for Mac (from this forum) in attempt to try and avoid the flickering as well as the horizontal lines...FRUSTRATING!

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

jose_ugs

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: jose_ugs on November 21, 2013, 11:41:49 AM
That flickering... :(
Do you get these as well after post processing Dual ISO Raw Video files?

jose_ugs

Last time i messing with Dual Iso i had none of these... I'll try tomorrow and i'll let you know. Do you use the latest nightly modules?

DeafEyeJedi

I am currently using the Nightly build from 2013-11-18...

Gonna check out the change log on the latest ones and see if there's any bug fixes yet.

Danne

Try an older build. The latest cr2hdr causes the flickering I believe.
On mac I use the 1.6 version

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Danne

I,m pretty sure I stayed out of the "flickery" sliders in acr last time I fiddled with my dual iso filming. Didn,t watch the above movie though so I might be sending the wrong solutions here. Have a lousy network connection. Will try again...

arturochu

last time i shot dual iso i had a lot of aliasing and moire problems, that kept me form shooting any more with it, but that was when dual iso started, what are your thoughts about those problems nowadays? should i give it a second try?
Chu

Danne

Much better, tfy also in 3x mode. Less artefacts

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on November 22, 2013, 01:15:19 PM
Nothing to do with your build.  Read the post processing raw video guides..

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0
Thanks RenatoPhoto for the links. I've read them previously but as always I scroll down to review the latest comments from our members.

I actually did use the older version of cr2hdr (1.6) but then I found the latest update for Mac so I used that as well and it still shows the flaws.

I still believe it may be an error on my part but I have done many Dual iso photos and really understand the work flow for post processing really well.

Really frustrating but I just shot some more dual iso raw video tests this afternoon and will post them as soon as I can...

Thanks guys!!!

a1ex

The flicker may be caused by different black and white levels on each frame (cr2hdr autodetects them, but they may vary a little, and the effect can be somewhat like changing ISO digitally). Try setting them to the same value for all DNGs with exiftool:

exiftool -BlackLevel=2048 -WhiteLevel=15000 *.DNG

(first read the values from a few DNGs, because my numbers may not be correct)

If not, upload a small RAW file so I can take a closer look.

DeafEyeJedi

A1ex - Thanks for the suggestions. That makes perfect sense about how the flickering may have been caused by different black and white levels on each frame because we don't get the flickering with the original files.

However, I will check the values with exiftool.

If you still are curious about the RAW file...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/M19-1151.RAW

That's the smallest size file (which is the original RAW from this video above) at 1.3 GB.

FYI -
Processing RAW files individually with multiple raw2dng's

This one down below is my way of testing 2 different methods for each RAW files (One would be the original DNG's being processed while the other is actually CR2 files after changing the file names in NameChanger) IMO, they both seem to be doing the same process but I don't think changing the names from DNG to CR2 is no longer necessary with the latest cr2hdr (1.9) on Mac. (Correct me if I'm mistaken pls!)

Of course, all of the DNG's were processed with the latest raw2dng prior to this.

This is going to be a LONG night... =)

To be continued...

Thanks again!

Alex546

Flickering, but still looks good!
I hope for a flickerfree example to compare the results :)

DeafEyeJedi

Hello once again -

Here's a few more of my 2nd tests with Dual ISO Raw Video recording in 1080p 24 fps with ISO100/800...

http://youtu.be/Zbi_X0sfdgc

http://youtu.be/W_07roOsLtg

Down below is a purposely test with ISO 100/1600 (I KNOW IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED BUT WANTED TO SEE WHAT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE although it turned out to be OE)

http://youtu.be/zu7TsbxkI1Q

http://youtu.be/RyA0w07TL0I

To be continued...

crazyrunner33

The footage looks great! I experimented with dual iso video at the end of a commercial shoot with a Dodge Charger driving down some city streets at night. I used 100-6400 ISO just to see what it would look like. Surprisingly we ended up using some of the footage, even though there were some slight issues in some of the highlights.
5D Mark III, 7D

Danne

I see all kinds of strange artefacts in the clips? Is it youtubeconversion or the converter? Which version are you using?

painya

Quote from: Danne on November 25, 2013, 09:19:15 PM
I see all kinds of strange artefacts in the clips? Is it youtubeconversion or the converter? Which version are you using?
Are you referring to the vertical banding?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed I do notice some little artifacts (i.e. last pixel line on the bottom (sometimes even on the top borderline) changes colors usually in reddish color every 6-7 frames or so if I remember correctly as well as the vertical banding) I felt that it was probably has to do with the transcoding process from the latest cr2hdr (1.9) after converting the Dual ISO RAW Video into DNG's with raw2dng (0.13)... or it could be from how I edited them in ACR???

I had to go to a doctor's appointment this afternoon and frankly I arrived early and had the 5D3 with me in this parking garage that was exposed to the alley outside with good amount of DR all over the place.

Only had about 20 minutes to get some more Dual ISO RAW Video test footage before going in...

Here are some stills of Dual-ISO to take a peak at ISO 100/800 (both graded in ACR after cr2hdr)

Will process the Dual-ISO RAW Video with raw2dng/cr2hdr tonight and then edit them in ACR to get them online as soon as I can.

Thanks guys!

Danne

Hi! I would suggest that you try to convert your dual iso files with a.d converter 1.6 and then work with the gradient tool to avoid flicker. I put a little something up on the subject on youtube for acr and lightroom. Not fully sure if the gradient tool creates nonflickery files but from some tests I made it looks better than working the regular way in acr.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks Danne for your suggestion and for posting the YouTube video.

I'm just not quite sure what you meant by a.d converter 1.6?

This morning I woke up and realized my Mac had froze over night from all the converter going on at the same time...

Looks like I'll have to restart some of them...

Be back on later!

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks again Danne for the link to a previous version of cr2hdr (1.6) and ironically after following your youtube video from earlier -- I have tried that one trick you did during the syncing process on ACR (even though I'm not sure if local adjustments is necessary afterall) but it managed to make it look better and the flickering is literally gone. ( Yes -- all of this were done with DNG's that were processed from cr2hdr (1.9) )

Just literally....apparently there was just one flick that came on in the middle of this same clip that I used from the first post and perhaps that's why I'll have to redo this process once again with cr2hdr (1.6) tonight and will post them when I can.

At least I made a step closer to perfection!

DeafEyeJedi

Alright Magicians -

After numerous of tests with two different RAW file converters (raw2dng & RAWMagic) just to see which would suit best. By far I think the raw2dng is more stable BUT then for some reason SOMETIMES RAWMagic does get the job done but then half of the time I would get error after exporting from Tiff's into Sequence Files (Quicktime 7) so i'm just gonna stick with raw2dng for now.

However, I did use the DNG's to convert in cr2hdr (both 1.6 and 1.9) and oddly enough they both seem identical but perhaps I think the files from 1.6 produced less noise than those from 1.9. When I would expect it to be the other way around?

I am also starting to think the RAW file that was recorded with (Nov. 4th nightly build) at the time so it could be the reason why the single flick came on towards the end of the clip. I have tried to narrow down the DNG's in ACR to find out which file was being changed but darn it just shows that it is all the same settings from a certain XMP file that I had used previously in order for it all to be in the same settings.

and yes in case you guys were wondering...I am done with this RAW file from here on out. I will post some newer ones with the latest Nightly Build and see if that would make a difference.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and stay warm!