Previous topic - Next topic

bond4ufriends

Is it possible to to use DNG instead CR2
I mean when u click a pick the file gets saved in .CR2
Will it be possible to save it in DNG ?

Marsu42

Quote from: bond4ufriends on November 13, 2013, 01:57:00 PM
Is it possible to to use DNG instead CR2

It would be so slow that it's practically impossible - ML would have to decompress the cr2 and save it as dng, so I'd say forget about it.

Also converting cr2->dng in the pc is very quick, you can do it at the same time when copying the shots the the hd, so what's the big deal? Also not forget some pp software only works with cr2 like DxO's great new PRIME denoiser.

chmee

maybe its slow, but for timelapses not the problem. i remember the dng-module was ported from older chdk. so i think its not impossible. but who will port/code that :D

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

larrycafe

CR2 should be smaller in size, and you can certainly convert it later in computer with adobe DNG converter. Is there a special reason to save DNG in-camera?

chmee

dng is compressible as well. i think the main reason is the straight using inside speedgrade or premiere - without time consuming reconverts.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Marsu42

Quote from: larrycafe on December 02, 2013, 08:44:26 AM
CR2 should be smaller in size, and you can certainly convert it later in computer with adobe DNG converter.

CR2 are larger than dng which I suspect is due to the large embedded thumbnail, that's the main reason I started converting cr2->dng because the ~2-4MB reduction per shot accumulates to large amounts sooner or later.

a1ex

bond4ufriends

thanks guys :)
now i know that its possible !
i guess someone will do it someday or the other

i simply wanted it for the timelapse
so it wud be easy to grade/edit them in resolve or premier pro cc