$300 offered to developer

Started by 5D3shooter, November 11, 2013, 05:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5D3shooter

I will pay the developer who provides a safe way to remove the 5D3 bootflag to the masses- $200 via paypal

My offer is until December 1st

Thanks

PS - I'm also offering a $100 to the developer who can break the 30min limit for non-raw video on the 5D3.. Can be movie restart but it must not drop frames between clips.  In camera audio recording during this would also be preferred if possible.

December 1st deadline as well.

UPDATE : I urge anyone who would like to add to my rewards to post their pledge here.  We all know that removing the bootflag has been a tough one, so lets make it worth their while! Dev, you will not release the files until you are paid up to ensure that everyone keeps their word on their pledge.  THANKS! 

mva

I'll pitch in $100, also payable by Paypal, to a developer* for a safe way for the masses to reset the bootflag on the 5D3. Same deadline of Dec. 1.

* The developer can keep the money, put it toward a donation to ML or a charity, or anything else they choose.

5D3shooter

Reward for 5D3 bootflag removal is up to $300!!!

engardeknave

Is there a reason this is important to you other than the two second delay?

mva

Quote from: engardeknave on November 11, 2013, 07:52:45 AM
Is there a reason this is important to you other than the two second delay?
For me it's to have the ability to restore the camera to its original "unhacked" state for future resale. Others want the option of using Eye-Fi cards. And many others, I'm sure, simply don't feel comfortable making permanent changes to their 5D3s.

maxotics

Quote from: engardeknave on November 11, 2013, 03:43:42 PM
Get to work.

Here is my shooter's guide for the EOS-M on this forum

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82944#msg82944

I have done a tremendous about mount research into hybrid focus pixels and have posted it.  I have written scripts.  Here

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7908.msg70298#msg70298

I am about to post an open-source project that fixes Pink Dots in C#

So back to my question, what is being done about making ML a "real world" solution to RAW video?  And I don't mean new features.  I mean a plan and timeline to get to a stable version.

1%

I dunno about removing the boot flag but i was planning on checking out movie restart since people were saying it stopped working. I don't think there is any way to make it seamless tho.

1%

There are so few people to develop, that's part of the problem. As a handful of people how to we write code + documentation with the time available, then answer questions from people who didn't read the docs by choice.

If BM as a mid to large sized company is having problems with BMPCC, maybe its not so straightforward.

maxotics

Quote from: 1% on November 11, 2013, 07:23:43 PM
There are so few people to develop, that's part of the problem. As a handful of people how to we write code + documentation with the time available, then answer questions from people who didn't read the docs by choice.

Absolutely 1%.  If anyone knows how hard you, g3gg0, Andy and Alex work it's me ;)  Although you would need to change your work priorities a little bit, nothing is possible, or worth doing, unless others start to put in the same care to create a stable build as you do in developing new features.  We need more programmers and we need documentation and some sort of better recognition system. 

5D3Shooter put up $200.  Mva offered $100.  The interest is there--the generosity of spirit.  We offered you a lens a few weeks back.  The question is, can enough people doing ML agree to work together to create a plan and timeline to bring the fruits of your labor to more people, I believe, would love to have it. 

The question is, what would you want out of it, if you were to devote 10% of your time on creating a stable build?  Or what does anyone want to take up the OP on his original offer?  (Yes, BM has problems, pain is unavoidable in every pursuit.  I still believe we can do a lot better).

Marsu42

Quote from: mva on November 11, 2013, 09:11:53 PMThe bootflag issue is one that concerns many if not most of those people, even many who feel they can live with it indefinitely.

Not to be misunderstood: I would also like to see this addressed because a) it's an psychological barrier to try ML...

... and b) to get to know why this is working on digic4-based cameras but not on 5d3/6d: If it's not for the lack of trying, I could imagine Canon intentionally changed their design so that the bootflag cannot be removed, and this would be mean they're at last taking semi-official note of ML, though not in a very commendable way.

dmilligan

Quote from: Marsu42 on November 11, 2013, 10:12:20 PM
I could imagine Canon intentionally changed their design so that the bootflag cannot be removed, and this would be mean they're at last taking semi-official note of ML, though not in a very commendable way.

Actually it's not this, it can be removed and quite easily (it's a single line of code), it's just that the  developers are not sure what would happen to the camera if something went wrong with this call (possible permanently bricking the camera, or destroying important factory calibration settings that would be unrecoverable) and how to prevent such a thing. Nobody wants to be the developer that released code that permanently damaged somebody's $3k camera. No developer also probably wants to risk damaging their $3k camera to test such a thing.

Quote from: a1ex on June 02, 2013, 09:20:43 AM
I need to prepare a special FIR. Short answer: call("DisableBootDisk")

but you really have to double-check that you are not in LiveView (and people managed to go there during first install despite all my double-checks).
Quote from: nanomad on June 21, 2013, 09:46:52 PM
The thing is, we know what happens if you somehow manage to bypass the enable boot flag safety checks and corrupt the boot flag area. You'll have to re-flash canon stock firmware to go back to normality.

What we don't know is: what happens if the DisableBootDisk call fails on the 5D3?...Will a firmware upgrade fix it? Will it make the camera non-operational?

In the end, it's better safe than sorry.

Pelican

Quote from: Marsu42 on November 11, 2013, 10:12:20 PM
... and b) to get to know why this is working on digic4-based cameras but not on 5d3/6d: If it's not for the lack of trying, I could imagine Canon intentionally changed their design so that the bootflag cannot be removed, and this would be mean they're at last taking semi-official note of ML, though not in a very commendable way.
For me the EnableBootDisk and DisableBootDisk routines  on the 5D3 seem very similar to the earlier cameras' routines.
I asked before in different topics but maybe I missed the answer so could you tell me what is the difference on these new cameras in the way they handle the bootflag?
Or the first ML fw update how enables it? Is there any trick besides to call the EnableBootDisk?
If Canon wants to disable booting from the card then they can easily do it in many different ways but the routines are still there and I cannot see any sign of intentional change.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Marsu42

Quote from: Pelican on November 11, 2013, 11:16:58 PMIf Canon wants to disable booting from the card then they can easily do it in many different ways but the routines are still there and I cannot see any sign of intentional change.

This was just a wild guess since I didn't follow this issue, I have no intention to remove ML from my cameras. My guess that Canon wanted ML to work, but their service to detect it and thus disable the removal of the bootflag - alas, this obviously isn't it.

So thanks for digging up the comment from alex who is really missing here :-o ... obviously what's needed is not a $300 payment, but a $3000 insurance in case anything goes wrong upon trying the bootflag removal. Well, I guess that's one advantage of using cheaper cameras and one more reason not to support the 1dx :->

Personally, I doubt anything will go wrong because Canon seems to use these for internal development, so they are bound to work rather than brick the camera - but don't quote me on this...

chris_overseas

These are the most relevant (useful) posts I've seen on the topic so far:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6035.msg44625#msg44625
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.msg28483#msg28483
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6035.msg78315#msg78315
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6035.msg78332#msg78332

So it would seem that calling "DisableBootDisk" is enough, however to do it safely the code should at least ensure that Liveview isn't running at the time the call is made.

I've just spent a couple of minutes digging around in the source. The bootflag_toggle() method in installer.c appears to disable the flag properly:

if (!lv && !sensor_cleaning && shooting_mode != SHOOTMODE_MOVIE)
            call( "DisableBootDisk" ); // in movie mode, it causes ERR80 and then asks for a firmware update

There's also this code and comment in boot-hack.c

// do try to enable bootflag in LiveView, or during sensor cleaning (it will fail while writing to ROM)
    // no check is done here, other than a large delay and doing this while in Canon menu
    bmp_printf(FONT_LARGE, 50, 200, "EnableBootDisk");
    call("EnableBootDisk");

I don't know of any reason why the 5D3 would be any different to the other cameras when it comes to making this call, I just don't think the work has been done to create a disablebootflag.fir for it yet. I don't know how to make such a .fir file myself (I'm going to try when I have some more time). Alternatively I could create an autoexec.bin that contained the code from bootflag_toggle() in it that gets triggered somewhere "sensible". Whether that is wise/safe to do I'm not at all sure...

On a related note, does anyone know how/if I can get the source to 5d3-113-bootflag.fir? Does it originate from bootflags.c, or perhaps by enabling CONFIG_DUMPER_BOOTFLAG (as in boot-hack.c)? Given time I can hopefully figure this out myself but if someone knows already and was willing to point me in the right direction that would be helpful. I want to understand what it does not just to look at the bootflag handling but also because I would like to get a dump of the 1.2.3 firmware and try to get a port to that underway.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Pelican

Quote from: chris_overseas on November 12, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
I don't know of any reason why the 5D3 would be any different to the other cameras when it comes to making this call, I just don't think the work has been done to create a disablebootflag.fir for it yet. I don't know how to make such a .fir file myself (I'm going to try when I have some more time). Alternatively I could create an autoexec.bin that contained the code from bootflag_toggle() in it that gets triggered somewhere "sensible". Whether that is wise/safe to do I'm not at all sure...

On a related note, does anyone know how/if I can get the source to 5d3-113-bootflag.fir? Does it originate from bootflags.c, or perhaps by enabling CONFIG_DUMPER_BOOTFLAG (as in boot-hack.c)? Given time I can hopefully figure this out myself but if someone knows already and was willing to point me in the right direction that would be helpful. I want to understand what it does not just to look at the bootflag handling but also because I would like to get a dump of the 1.2.3 firmware and try to get a port to that underway.
Still not clear why we should worry about to call DisableBootDisk on 5D3 and should not worry on the older cameras.
Anyway, instead of create a modified autoexec.bin it would be more safe to create a disableboot.fir.
Unfortunately the signing method is not public for the new cameras so I cannot make this by myself and could not even check the code in the 5d3-113-bootflag.fir
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

chris_overseas

Quote from: Pelican on November 12, 2013, 12:46:44 AM
Still not clear why we should worry about to call DisableBootDisk on 5D3 and should not worry on the older cameras.

I haven't seen anything to suggest there is a special reason, it seems the work for the 5D3 just hasn't been done yet.

Quote from: Pelican on November 12, 2013, 12:46:44 AM
Anyway, instead of create a modified autoexec.bin it would be more safe to create a disableboot.fir.
Unfortunately the signing method is not public for the new cameras so I cannot make this by myself and could not even check the code in the 5d3-113-bootflag.fir

Interesting. I was wondering about the signing process but if it isn't public knowledge then that would explain why I couldn't find anything about it! I take it that means there are only certain people who have the knowledge to make a valid fir :(  What about getting a dump of 1.2.3, does that also require decrypting 5D300123.FIR or can it be pulled off the camera?
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Pelican

Pelican

Quote from: chris_overseas on November 12, 2013, 01:00:29 AM
  What about getting a dump of 1.2.3, does that also require decrypting 5D300123.FIR or can it be pulled off the camera?
The bootflag fir also dumps the ROM.
If you dumped the 1.2.3 please send me a PM.

chris_overseas

Quote from: Pelican on November 12, 2013, 01:05:57 AM
The bootflag fir also dumps the ROM.
If you dumped the 1.2.3 please send me a PM.

Yeah we were discussing that over here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.msg87729#msg87729 I'm reluctant to upgrade to 1.2.3 and back to 1.1.3 though given I don't know if the bootflag fir will even work on 1.2.3, plus I'm slightly concerned going to 1.2.3 and back might aggravate the AFMA bug. I'm off on Safari in a couple of weeks and really don't want to have an upset camera for the trip!

1%

QuoteStill not clear why we should worry about to call DisableBootDisk on 5D3 and should not worry on the older cameras.

Well... if you're willing to risk it you could call this from a normal autoexec.bin and then you'd reboot to boot flag free firmware, no? Maybe can even put it on don't click me. Nothing makes it *have* to go from fir... except if you don't have a boot flag set as no code loads.

QuoteIf you dumped the 1.2.3 please send me a PM.

There should be a subs.s for 1.2.3 floating on the forum... I saw it posted by coutts. I can't port it because I have no 5DIII, otherwise it would be on the new FW already.

chris_overseas

Quote from: 1% on November 12, 2013, 09:06:41 AM
There should be a subs.s for 1.2.3 floating on the forum... I saw it posted by coutts. I can't port it because I have no 5DIII, otherwise it would be on the new FW already.

Are you sure? I know he did the stubs.S for 1.2.1, haven't seen anything about 1.2.3 though:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5695.msg61657#msg61657

Also I still don't understand what's required to get an initial ROM dump of 1.2.3. Will running the 5d3-113-bootflag.fir work with it?

Audionut

All the off topic discussion got move here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9296.0

Keep this thread on topic.  Discuss moral issues in the thread linked.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on November 12, 2013, 06:55:40 PM
Keep this thread on topic.  Discuss moral issues in the thread linked.

You're the mod with the power, but I have to say I disagree on this because the topic is "$300 offered to developer" with no further specification, so it seems to me discussing this and what is more important for a feature request topic - the amount of money or what it is about at all - actually is on topic.

Audionut

Further specification is in the OP.  Subject title is limited in character length and is no excuse to justify off topic conversation. 

I'm not saying you can't discuss things.  Just keep this thread about the topic at hand.
This is the feature request section, not let's discuss whatever topic comes to hand.  Hence why I moved the relevant discussion to general chat.

Quote from: 5D3shooter on November 11, 2013, 05:24:06 AM
I will pay the developer who provides a safe way to remove the 5D3 bootflag to the masses- $200 via paypal