locking digital dolly crop position for 3D Stereo

Started by heavygrafix, March 07, 2014, 09:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavygrafix

hi,

while i am working on my advanced 5DIII Stereo Rig, there could be some advantage beside RAW itself.

when shoting parallel, without convergence correction, you have to fix the two images in Post. infact you are losing resolution on the left and right side of the image, because it has to be cropped down to fit.

if there could be a lock for crop-mode, it would be easier to adjust the images, to avoid some cropping and gain resolution.  Maybe the digital dolly value is not enough exactly for those operations, but maybe there is the chance to shift the crop area pixel-precise?

thinking further the correction could be done relative to the focus distance of the lens.

so anyway, you´ll see some 5DIII 2,5K Stereo Video in the next weeks

and yep, checked rules of physics. :)
cheers.

5D Mark III, SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC, KB 1000x 64Gb, KB 1050x 128GB

a1ex

Checking if I understood properly: it should save the position of digital dolly in the config file, so you don't have to fine-tune it every time you start shooting?

heavygrafix

Exactly. Then we can also use differential config flies for differential lenses.
That would help a lot.

is the buffer location shift 1-pixel-percised possible? Or is it possible to Place some numbers for x and y values?

a1ex

Buffer location is limited to 8 pixels horizontally (maybe 16, not sure, need to check) and 2 vertically. The MLV format has support for fine offsets, which were added in the spec exactly for this purpose, but there was nothing implemented in this direction yet (so I'm not sure if the converters actually respect these offsets).

heavygrafix

2 Pixel vertically is pretty good.

Once we know the offset in pixels, there is no Problem with merging to stereo. Or what do You meen?