Lightroom to Davinci Resolve

Started by sletts02, November 10, 2013, 04:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletts02

I really can't get my head around Resolve for my style of shooting (interior real estate / outdoor landscapes).

I love RAW video > Lightroom but the exporting is ridiculously slow as it does not use the graphics card.

Is it possible to create a 'look' in Lightroom and then import it in to Resolve for exporting? Perhaps save the metadata to file?

Sorry, I have no idea if it's possible or not.

noisyboy

Not particularly. Do you have Adobe Speedgrade? there is a rather around the houses way of creating looks that can be used in Speedgrade with Lightroom and Photoshop. Or do you have After Effects?

sletts02

Quote from: noisyboy on November 10, 2013, 04:11:38 AM
Not particularly. Do you have Adobe Speedgrade? there is a rather around the houses way of creating looks that can be used in Speedgrade with Lightroom and Photoshop. Or do you have After Effects?

I don't have speed grade - does it use GPU processing?

My poor i5-2500 doesn't deal well exporting 1000's of DNGs/TIFFS/JPEGS!

xanderhyde

What I needed was two things:

A. A lightroom / davinci workflow
B. A way that I can "steal" or "reproduce" looks in Davinci.

What I did is:

A. LR / Davinci

1. downloaded a color chart from the net
2. graded that chart in Lightroom
3. imported the graded still and the original into SpeedGrade
4. used the "automatch" feature
5. exported the generated look as a zip to somewhere
6. opened up the zip, and copied the .cube file from it into Davinci's LUT folder (on win7/64 its c:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\LUT\MyLUTS)
7. used the LUT as a node and ... thats it :)

B: the "stealing a look" workflow is very similar:

1. Exported a still from a movie (e.g. Matrix ... or Blade Runner ... or ... :)
2. Imported into Lightroom, color grade to NATURAL colors (white balance, colors, saturation, black / white levels ... )
3. imported the graded still and the original into SpeedGrade
4. used the "automatch" feature
5. exported the generated look as a zip to somewhere
6. opened up the zip, and copied the .cube file from it into Davinci's LUT folder (on win7/64 its c:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\LUT\MyLUTS)
7. used the LUT as a node and ... thats it :)

... and I have a couple of "film-luts" now ... from Casablanca to 300 ... :)

I know, I know, this is not a "perfect" solution ... but ... hey ... it helped me recently :)

btw, the LUT works in Nuke, After Effects, Photoshop, Scratch, etc....

johnrellis

I just released the Export LUT Lightroom plugin, which exports develop presets and settings as a LUT in IRIDAS/Adobe .cube format. If you try it, let me know how it works (or doesn't).

dubzeebass

Quote from: johnrellis on February 20, 2015, 08:36:11 PM
I just released the Export LUT Lightroom plugin, which exports develop presets and settings as a LUT in IRIDAS/Adobe .cube format. If you try it, let me know how it works (or doesn't).

Hey John,

Will it export the camera profile settings too to the LUT? Often times the film look LR presets have a different colour representation loaded into camera profile.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for sharing @johnrellis and definitely will check/test it out!

Looks promising...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

positivejosh

johnrellis! You are a scholar and a gentleman!!

This is some awesome functionality you have added, been trying to work out best way to use Lightroom Develop Presets as grades in Resolve for a few days now and just found your plugin.

Thanks heaps :)

swinxx

@xanderhyde

that sounds great. would you share those luts with us :)
thank you, swinxx

Danne

Good stuff.
I saw a hald c lut somewhere flashing by. Nice way to get white balance, warmer colder. ALways have a problem with that in davinci. Didn,t try so much else yet.
I had to remove these two lines for it to work with ffmpeg 3d lut implementation.
DOMAIN_MIN 0.0 0.0 0.0
DOMAIN_MAX 1.0 1.0 1.0

Are these lines needed or could they be removed somehow permanently in a workflow?

johnrellis

QuoteAre these lines needed or could they be removed somehow permanently in a workflow?
Those lines are inserted following the Adobe/IRIDAS .cube spec (such as it is). But there were enough older utilities (not following that spec) that choked on those lines, that I recently added an option in Export LUT to suppress them, "Generate legacy-format .cube files"

extremelypoorfilmaker

66dellwood

This looks great. I can color correct so much faster in LightRoom than DVR.  Anyone out there with experience with this plugin?

Danne

Been around for some time now.
http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/exportlut.htm

I used it a little. Works fine. As always there are settings which can,t be applied like clarity etc but color can be graded inte a lut.