FD to EF (EOS) lens conversion kits.

Started by ItsMeLenny, November 09, 2013, 04:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

Previously I thought the only way to get an FD lens to work was with an adapted which would either not allow focus to infinity or require an extra lens element to correct focus.

Then I came across these expensive things online. (one site: http://fdtoef.com/ ) (There's a few different sites)

Which require dismantling part of lens and also applying a little arm so that the aperture works, said to be completely reversible.

These are a bit over 100 bux a pop, and I'm not sure why there's different ones for different lenses, whether it's just for the detector pins.

MY QUESTION:

Has anybody had any experience making their own?
Either CNCing or machining metal (whichever the correct term is).
OR
3D printing in a nice black plastic?

If not, is anybody an experienced 3D modeller willing to make a free printable model?
(Not that I have a 3D printer, but I have enough FD lenses that a 3D printer would be worth buying).
That's if plastic would be reliable enough.

engardeknave

I've done a number of FLs before. FDs are really hard because the aperture mechanism is by the mount. I tried to convert one a few years ago but I couldn't get it fully working. What they're showing in the photo is a $10 M42 to EF adapter, plus some other little metal thing for the aperture mechanism. The adapters are all over Ebay. The hard part is determining how the other piece fits in.

ItsMeLenny

But those aren't just adaptors. They've taken the original FD mount off and put the new EF mount on.

And the little extra arm they sell for a ridiculous price on top.

engardeknave

They're adapters. Note the M42 screw mount threads in the middle around the glass. http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=m42+screw+ef+canon

On the FLs you just have to remove and sand down the outer barrel of the lens a few millimeters, drill some holes in the adapter, and then put it all together. You do remove the original mount.

ItsMeLenny

The FD lens has this whole twisty thing and the lens sits further down.

They have a video where they take the whole FD mount off and screw a new mount back on.

engardeknave

Dude. They are using the M42 adapter as a new mount. I did like six of these. I ordered the adapters off Ebay.

ItsMeLenny

Loool. Sorry.

But that's sweet!

It was the saying "adaptor" rather than a conversion mod or what not.

I'll buy me some then.

Do you know if there's the opposite end so I can convert the front of 2x adaptors?

engardeknave

I don't know about converting a 2x adapter. Maybe a reverse macro adapter ring would help?

I should add that the FD I tried to convert was a 135mm, so it was harder than the one in the video. However, even doing the conversion shown in the video is going to be difficult. It also seems unlikely to me that the conversion in the video is going to result in a lens that focuses precisely to infinity without any change in the length of the lens. There are some other adapters they could be using that may vary in width by a half-millimeter or so, which would affect focus. I would not recommend attempting this without a good dremel and/or drill, clamps, and a decent place to work.

drapeama

If I ever get one of those GH from Panasonic, I'll be able to use that lens on it.
I prefer to keep mine intact, and use it as a macro lens on my EOS:

[SIZE=1]I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.[/SIZE]

Midphase

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on November 09, 2013, 04:01:28 AMThen I came across these expensive things online. (one site: http://fdtoef.com/ ) (There's a few different sites)

I bought the Ed Mika adapter for a 300mm nFD lens.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ed_mika/m.html

First of all, I'll say that at less than $150 the adapters are pretty cheap all things considered. I paid about $100 for the 300mil...so for about $250 I now have a really awesome 300mm EF manual lens that looks quite stunning and considerably better than when I was using it with a crappy $30 adapter.

Ed Mika is an insanely nice guy, when I had questions I was able to call him and he took lots of time to guide me through the process. He's just a dude with a passion for lenses, so the price he charges is commensurate to the amount of time he puts into making each adapter. For special precision work like this, I'd hope he makes at least $50/hour for his time and effort...although I suspect it takes longer than that to make these things.

My point is that you should consider buying the adapters from him rather than getting involved in 3D printing and the likes, it makes as much practical sense as if you wanted to melt glass and make your own lenses.

engardeknave

Fabricating high-precision optics is orders of magnitude more complex and expensive than printing an adapter with a 3D printer or purchasing an M42 and drilling three holes in it.

Midphase

I don't know where you get the idea that those are adapted M42 mounts, I can assure you that my Ed Mika adapter kit looks nothing like my M42 adapter, and it is very precisely machined.

A plastic adapter would bend and deform under the weight of the lens quite easily and end up producing less than idea images just after a few uses.

We're not talking about something that costs in the thousands...on the other hand you know what costs in the thousands? A 3D printer!

SpcCb

For long focale FDn 'L' serie lens here is another solution:

(back part removed and replaced by a custom one)
Easy to machine (revolution shape), relatively cheap (costed me ~100€/$ at the corner mechanic) and open to use with multiple cameras (2.5" standard).
Diaph is replaced by a set of rings; less faster to switch than with a mechanical selector but the bokeh is better.

Done first for astronomical imaging, I used it at Roland Garros for pro stuff without problems.

peoplemerge

+1 ed_mika adapters.  Support this guy, he's awesome!  There are some really exceptional FD lenses out there, especially teles.  Do the research and buy them!
Except the ones I'm bidding on :)

ItsMeLenny

Considering I need about 5 it's not a route I want to take at this point in time.

fdtoef

@engardeknave

"Dude. They are using the M42 adapter as a new mount."

"It also seems unlikely to me that the conversion in the video is going to result in a lens that focuses precisely to infinity without any change in the length of the lens. There are some other adapters they could be using that may vary in width by a half-millimeter or so, which would affect focus."

My conversion kit are not the M42 mounts. The conversion plate used in my kits was designed specifically to convert the FDn lenses into native Ef mounts while maintaining the camera bodies original crop factor while achieving infinity focus. There are two of us that have taken this approach toward converting FD lenses; designing from scratch; to achieve the best possible alignment, matching the original mount design. These parts are CNC machine to +/- .001 on equipment that can maintain +/- .0001 or tighter. The bottom of the conversion plate is designed to self center on the lenses to maintain the correct axial alignment as well. This is something you will not get by using a modified M42 mount.