Lilliput 663 external monitor

Started by Midphase, November 10, 2013, 05:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

Hello guys, I'm getting ready to pull the plug on an external monitor. Trying to pull focus on the real built-in monitor on my 5D3 is next to impossible even with focus peaking so I've been looking at various options.

The Lilliput 663 seems to have good specs and the price seems right:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BN4RDHK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PPA7Y2XTCPQBACBD86A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

Any of you have any experience with this external monitor, and will it work with ML?

Many thanks!

MonteNero

Hi! We used Lilliput on numerious commercial productions and it is fine. One thing though, the knobs on the right of the monitor sometimes do not react as expected, so calibrating the monitor might be tricky sometimes. But may be it is just our particular monitor that has this thing.
The bad news is that if you plug HDMI in you camera with ML and try to playback the raw video the camera will crash...This is the only thing that prevents me of using ML for production. I hope some day ML team will fix that.

Midphase

Ok, no playback...got it. Honestly I find the playback on ML to be so limited that I typically don't use it at all when shooting and just hope for the best. It's got to be one of the most limiting aspects of the whole raw thing, and I do hope some day they'll not only fix the HDMI playback but provide an overall better playback experience even in normal view.

Aside from that you are pretty happy with the device? The monitor resolution is good enough to provide good focus pulling on your shots?

MonteNero

Can't tell for sure if it is good for critical focus pulling...but sometimes people I work with miss the focus even with hd monitors, and not because they don't know what they do...it is just hard, especially on a wide open lens with a lot of movement in the frame... personally I pull focus equally bad weather it is a canon screen or red epics monitor...this is one of the reasons to have a decent playback...
Generaly, considering the  price  I'am happy with my monitor.