Recording RAW to SSD

Started by PeteTomov, June 05, 2013, 01:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5D3shooter

You could've bricked your camera installing ML, cmon man, bust her open and start soldering!

LOL, jk...

Seriously though, I think the profit is there.. Do the kick starter (after u can confirm it works in camera), you will probably pledge $10,000 and receive $200,000.. I see that everyday on there, for stupid shit too.

g3gg0

you are sure that it will work in camera?
how does your CF adapter emulate the CIS data that is obligatory for canon?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

pascalc

Yes please, post a video of the adapter working in the CF reader.

mageye

Why does the word 'bottleneck' come to mind? :'(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

PeteTomov

The camera is definitely the bottleneck but we know that's fast enough :)
On another note, I'm releasing two games for mobile devices over the next couple of months and putting together a team to work on a bigger PC game. If the mobile games do well I might just fund the project myself. That is if the Black Magic 4k camera hasn't rendered the adapter useless by then. I'm waiting for footage to make my call on that one.

albert-e

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 20, 2013, 12:58:16 PM
you are sure that it will work in camera?
how does your CF adapter emulate the CIS data that is obligatory for canon?

CIS( Card Information Storage ) are basically data stored when (1) an Output Enable strobe is generated by the host interface. It is a read data from the CompactFlash Card in Memory Mode & PC Card I/O Mode, and are located in CIS and configuration registers. Per CF specification, it doesn't say it's from Canon, except there are data bits assigned for specific vendor. Correct me if I'm wrong here...just want to clarify my understanding of the CF specs.

5D3shooter

Quote from: PeteTomov on June 21, 2013, 09:43:03 AM
That is if the Black Magic 4k camera hasn't rendered the adapter useless by then. I'm waiting for footage to make my call on that one.

Most of us are not gonna buy that.. We want our damn SSD adapter!!!  lol

boniac

Yes. Interested in buying a couple of them. No joke. GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

1%

I'm cool with just UDMA 6/5 and IDE drives.  Sata SSD combo is nice but IDE is realistic. Can't you emulate the CIS data in the adapter?

I have plenty of 40/80/+ IDE drives collecting dust... camera like the 50D has to be plugged in anyway or you'll be shooting for 5 minutes and drain the battery. Even 5 more MB over the CF card will net me 1080P continuous + cheap media.

albert-e

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 08:39:52 PM
I'm cool with just UDMA 6/5 and IDE drives.  Sata SSD combo is nice but IDE is realistic. Can't you emulate the CIS data in the adapter?

I have plenty of 40/80/+ IDE drives collecting dust... camera like the 50D has to be plugged in anyway or you'll be shooting for 5 minutes and drain the battery. Even 5 more MB over the CF card will net me 1080P continuous + cheap media.

What is exactly we want to emulate (CIS data) on the interface adapter. What is the CIS (Card Information Structure) data that we need to "crack"?

1%

g3ggo would know... he made the module that lists some of it, but I doubt that is all.

So basically pretend to be a CF card facing the camera and a normal IDE/SATA/whatever you can muster on the other end.

albert-e

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 09:37:42 PM
g3ggo would know... he made the module that lists some of it, but I doubt that is all.

So basically pretend to be a CF card facing the camera and a normal IDE/SATA/whatever you can muster on the other end.

Thanks 1%. You gave me an idea now of what these data are; it's a vendor type locked" feature of camera manufacturer. The CIS is a hidden area located outside of the emulated logical or physical drive. It contains information about the card manufacturer, many of the device characteristics and, is sometimes used to "hide" manufacturer specific features (such as the Olympus Panoramic mode, etc. for example).

So, g3gg0 cracked it for 5D3? Okay, so we're off to see the wizard then. "g3gg0", we need your assistance. If we can write to it (CIS), then that would be easy. Isn't it, g3gg0?

1%

Its not 5d3 specific.. it reads the data fine on 50D. Just camera uses the CIS data so if its missing the CF or "CF" won't detect/work.

albert-e

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
Its not 5d3 specific.. it reads the data fine on 50D. Just camera uses the CIS data so if its missing the CF or "CF" won't detect/work.

If the interface adapter emulates in TRUE IDE mode as specified in CF specifications then it should work, theoretically, just like a CF Type II microdrive. I should be able to connect a CF micro drive just to prove it and see if my Canon 50D recognizes it. Okay, I'll perform the elementary tests and see what happen. But first, let me get a micro drive.

To be continued...

g3gg0

Quote from: albert-e on June 23, 2013, 10:19:20 PM
If the interface adapter emulates in TRUE IDE mode as specified in CF specifications then it should work, theoretically, just like a CF Type II microdrive.

on 5D3 it wont - microdrives are banned and the code absolutely relies on the CIS being readable.
"True IDE mode" is just a subset of CF and thus no CIS is emulated.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

1%

Holy shit... I hope the above adapter works.

g3gg0

1%

No ic inside the CF case?, just a dumb adapter?

So it would need CIS emulation.

PressureFM

Quote from: 5D3shooter on October 18, 2013, 12:51:44 PM
We've all seen this.. old news.

I don't know if it will ever come true =(

It was simply the PDF for the listed product on eBay a few posts up.

Vlad

I am familiar with group of developers who can make the device that the flow of video was written down on SSD. but in their opinion this device will have a small demand. the cost of development is in limits of 20-30 thousand dollars. May we arrange vote to learn real need for such device?

5D3shooter

Quote from: Vlad on November 07, 2013, 01:06:54 AM
I am familiar with group of developers who can make the device that the flow of video was written down on SSD. but in their opinion this device will have a small demand. the cost of development is in limits of 20-30 thousand dollars. May we arrange vote to learn real need for such device?

Kickstarter...  If your guys can really do this and request 30,000$ ...They will probably raise over 100,000$