bricked by ML or canon?

Started by profes, August 24, 2012, 10:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

profes

i sent my camera (60D) to canon to get fixed (hot pixels on sensor) they sent it back and i put in my batery and card that had ml on it and the camera didn't turn on.
can a bootable card with ml on it brick a camera that doesnt have the boot disk enabled. my XSi is fine with the card . or did canon just mess up

nanomad

Does it boot without a card in it?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

profes

no. tried removing battery, checked battery,  without card with different card, no lens, with lens...

a1ex

After receiving it, your first attempt to power it on was with the ML card?

How did you know that camera did not have bootflag enabled, you have disabled it before sending to Canon?

If bootflag is disabled in the camera, it will not run any user code.

If ML is started on the wrong firmware version, it will just blink the SD card LED and refuse to boot.

nanomad

Do you see any LED activity when no card is inserted you start the camera with no card insterted?

Btw, I think canon screwed up
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

profes

i did clear the bootflag before sending it to them lest they put up a fuss. But they also replaced the main board so it defiantly wasn't enabled. your saying that if it is not enabled it wont try to run the user code so the i guess canon bricked it. i just wanted to confirm that so that when i send it in canon doesn't find anything and blame it on me. thanks a lot for the great firmware I used it for a month (non stop) and it was great. I would not have been able to video w/o it.

nanomad

Well, if they changed the mainboard they probably re-calibrated the whole camera (as they should, after each tear down). My bet is that it got somehow damaged during the transport...

Anyway, keep us posted

a1ex

You can try the LED blink test from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0 (just in case, maybe they changed the mainboard but restored the same ROM, I don't know what they do).

If it doesn't blink, it was probably dead on arrival from the service.

profes

they wrote that they upgraded to the latest firmware so i guess canon bricked it (hooray for canon)

a1ex

What firmware did you have before and what ML version?

profes

as a side note to someone who is not familiar with computers and software the warning about the bootdisk flag is a bit confusing may i humbly suggest an alternate wording
When you install magic lantern it does two things 1) It turns the card you are using into a bootable card. 2) It tells the camera that every time it turns on to check for a bootable card  (this is known as the BootDiskFlag) and IF the card IS bootable THEN execute the file AUTOEXE.BIN IF the card IS bootable and it DOESN'T find this file (for example you deleted it) it will not start up and you will have to remove the battery and card, reinsert the battery (not card) and load the correct files (the ones that you unzipped when you got Magic Lantern) onto the card using a computer. then reinsert the card. You can still use a nonML card to boot with canons firmware.
hope this is helpful

profes

1.1.0 not sure which ml version though (i got it around the beginning of july)

Francis

The latest 60d firmware is 1.1.1

Was there a mistake in your post or did they downgrade the firmware in your camera?

The newest ML version will not work with the 60d 1.1.0 firmware.

Also you should update to the newest version of ML (2.3) which is available for free to all users via the Download page.

profes

No that was the firmware I had before I sent it in to canon canon says they upgraded it to 1.1.1 ( but they also said they checked it before they sent it to me)

Francis

Have you tried upgrading ML to v. 2.3? Sounds like a firmware/ML version mismatch.
edit: Not if it doesn't boot without a card.

nanomad

The point is, the camera does not boot even without a card inserted.

Is that correct?

profes

Right it won't boot without card

profes

Another question if I format the card with my XSi will make the card back into an unbootable card (ie: I can delete the autoexe.bin without it breaking my camera)?

nanomad

profes

jacksuddaby

I know this is a late comment, however my 550D has just bricked. I basically moved some ML files into one folder to keep it organised and now it wont turn on at all, so I formatted the card, tried again and still nothing
have you got any ideas?

Walter Schulz

Format the card inside a cardreader, not the camera and build a new ML card from scratch.

Ciao
Walter