Any chance 5d3 or 6D has "latent dual-pixel AF" a'la C100 firmware upgrade?

Started by l_d_allan, November 06, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

DPReview.com had an announcement that owners of EOS C100 video cameras can get their device upgraded to have DPAF, for $500. Apparently, the sensor had the capability all along, but the firmware didn't support it at time of release.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/06/canon-offers-dual-pixel-af-upgrade-for-cinema-eos-c100-camera

Any chance this might apply to the 5d3 or 6D? Seems at least remotely possible that their sensors might actually have dual-pixels, but not enabled in firmware.

Or not?

1%

dude

No, because you have to sent in your camera and they are going to change the sensor.

bnvm

Quote from: dude on November 06, 2013, 06:54:39 PM
No, because you have to sent in your camera and they are going to change the sensor.

Its a firmware update not a hardware update, you have to send it in because they are not releasing the firmware.

Marsu42

Quote from: l_d_allan on November 06, 2013, 04:13:05 PMAny chance this might apply to the 5d3 or 6D?

Extremely unlikely, both 5d3 and 6d use a polished 5d2 sensor design, just look at the sensor specs and the eos timeline.

Pelican

Quote from: bnvm on November 06, 2013, 08:26:14 PM
Its a firmware update not a hardware update, you have to send it in because they are not releasing the firmware.
No, it is not only a fw update but they change the sensor.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

mucher

Though quite some people say that it is changing sensor, but I don't believe it very much. Changing a 5D sensor costs around $1000, changing a rare species like C100's sensor changes for $500 dollars? I would say no way.

dude

Des219

C100 and the 70D are crop sensors, so it doesn't look good for us full frame users.  Not to say the 5D IV would be excluded but the III and 6D were probably separate designs.

arrinkiiii

chmee

my guess: C100 and C300 have a 4K-Sensor for recording 2K, so the logic is to use 2 neighbouring sensors as phase-like-af-points, but recrunching both (better 4) values into one for the picture, quite likewise as in 70d. so no hardware, only firmware. the algorithm for onsensor-phase-af costs 500$/user. (changing microlens-design could be possible also)

and because 5DIII has 3 times of fullhd in width, it could work :)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

1%

Heh, sensor upgrade or not if its anything like the AF in EOSM/650D/700D expect dots on the raw. Definitely not a feature I'd want. AF for movies and AF in LV is kinda horrible. What I do want to see out of C100/300/500 is some sample footage, esp raw... there was a FW upgrade a few months ago that gave them some quasi magic zoom and digitally pushed ISO 80k.

Looking 'round the web all I found was some C100 mpeg2 samples.

chmee

70D has no af-dots on the sensor as 650d M aso.. its the phase difference between the subsensors under the microlens. both subsensors are in terms of result one sensel/pixel.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

globalphotobank