Dog in a Garden...first 2.35:1 RAW Test & De-noise discussion

Started by CinematicSyndicate, November 03, 2013, 09:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CinematicSyndicate

Just trying out my grading workflow here. Color in ACR in AE, assembled in PP CC, least lossy export to 30mbps H.264 to vimeo.

I am noticing some noise happening in the first shot with the lens flare...does anybody have a good recommendation for noise solutions (ACR doesn't help much beyond ISO 8000) other than using a plugin? I have denoising plugins but I'd like to do it at the debayering stage (or right after) like in the camera raw developer window. It seems that lightroom handles noise better and has more control...but of course is unwieldy for really long sequences. Ideas? How does Resolve handle noise? I haven't messed around with that yet.

painya

You need the paid version of resolve for noise reduction (if you didn't already know), and the video is showing, I think you need the full link.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

CinematicSyndicate

I did not know that - thank you. And I fixed the vimeo link ;)

Any comment on the relative potency of Resolve's noise reduction vs. ACR?

painya

From what I have read around the forum it seems that ACR isn't that great for VIDEO because it is designed for photos. I have heard neatvideo is the best, and I have used Magic Bullet Denoiser, and it has been awesome.

CinematicSyndicate

Awesome...yeah the tonal controls in ACR are treated individually for each frame and respond differently to different tone content in each photo...

As for denoise, I have tested MB vs Neat Video many times and Neat wins hands down, every time :)

painya

gary2013

Quote from: CinematicSyndicate on November 04, 2013, 05:31:16 AM

As for denoise, I have tested MB vs Neat Video many times and Neat wins hands down, every time :)
I have also tested both (as well as other noise filters) and I also agree NV wins all the time. I just wish I could get the same playback speed using NV like I get with NV turned off.  :)

Gary

jagnje

you can do noise reduction in resolve lite as well.
you just make a layer nod, and desaturate one layer completly and remove y(yrgb) on the other. Then layer mixer->composite mode->add. Now you divided colors and shapes..kinda. Then you go on the layer that you removed Y from and blur it a bit. This is what denoisers basicaly do as well as far as I know. It takes 30 sec and works great, I use it all the time with great results. Also for sharpening(I just sharpen the desaturated layer)  it creates a bit of a film look and it does not add any color artifacts. These are probably my favorite features of resolve.