[IMPOSSIBLE] dual ISO H.264

Started by jagnje, November 02, 2013, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 27, 2013, 03:48:54 PM
i guess that is time to say that we need this particular kind of spirit even less.

+1
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Stedda

This dudes been on a rant since his first post in this thread... he even argues with himself.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

N/A

I failed horribly in math class, but I did do pretty damn good in government and social studies. I'll just say this. You don't have to like the leadership, but you still show them respect for their hard work and knowledge. Wow...
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

glubber

EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

bnvm

...waiting for everyone to gather their pitchforks and torches...

NedB

@all except for apefos: Did I call it in Reply #46, or what? What, right? Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

apefos

I think the Leadership, the Master cannot discourage the padawans without showing a proof that things will not work.

In this moment, the Leadership, the Master, just have a theory that things will not work, not an experiment, a real proof.

And me, the padawan, I already found the waves behavior and I have an algorithm that worked in the first lines reconstruction test, so I have the first proof that things can work.

So, due to this, I believe that the discouraging behavior of the Leadership, the Master, is a disrespect to me and to all padawans, because if we are in an open source environment, we all have the rights of doing our attempts.

Yes, me, myself, as a padawan, I lost my temper, my bad. But me, myself, as a padawan, I do not need to endure the disrespect from the Leadership, the Master, discouraging me and all the others without any proof.

Probably you all are waiting for me to say sorry. So, I say sorry, many times as needed. But respect my attempts, do not say impossible without any proof, stop discouraging all the people who are willing to help this development.

Letni

By the statement "Impossible" have your ambition now be so great to get it to work!

If it's possible now or later.

And if it will not work, it is so, and you are an experience richer.

Let us continue to participate in your results and do your own experiences.

kgv5

@apefos - dude, you better watch your tone and i am not even going to quote from you , it is really hard to read such things. You have an idea - thats good, continue and be happy but DO NOT disrespect people, especially the ones, who we- all ML users - owe so much!
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Stedda on November 27, 2013, 03:54:45 PM
This dudes been on a rant since his first post in this thread... he even argues with himself.
Lol.

Yeah he is as bad as that other character that popped up and got banned pretty quick.

I do think this guy is troll, or part troll. He also spams posts with irrelevant information.

Am I safe to say most people want to see him muted?

3pointedit

Apart from bizarre outbursts... I tested it and found that the resolution loss to great. The alternating lines were not well formed (reconstructed with aliasing?) and so created many artefacts when merged. Also there is the small issue of loosing half your vertical resolution! You can't actually reconstruct detail from these large interlacing lines.
550D on ML-roids

a1ex

Here's a real-world test image (100/1600, exposed with ETTR):

If you are able to recover it, I'll give up on engineering and start growing mushrooms instead.

Hopefully this completes the proof for all the non-believers.

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on November 28, 2013, 11:56:06 AM
If you are able to recover it, I'll give up on engineering and start growing mushrooms instead.

that kind of that you get in dark corners of underground railway stations for money? ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

arrinkiiii

...start growing mushrooms...

Not so bad idea... but please, don't leave  engineering!!!

albert-e

Quote from: apefos on November 27, 2013, 08:57:57 PM
I think the Leadership, the Master cannot discourage the padawans without showing a proof that things will not work.

In this moment, the Leadership, the Master, just have a theory that things will not work, not an experiment, a real proof.

And me, the padawan, I already found the waves behavior and I have an algorithm that worked in the first lines reconstruction test, so I have the first proof that things can work.

So, due to this, I believe that the discouraging behavior of the Leadership, the Master, is a disrespect to me and to all padawans, because if we are in an open source environment, we all have the rights of doing our attempts.

Yes, me, myself, as a padawan, I lost my temper, my bad. But me, myself, as a padawan, I do not need to endure the disrespect from the Leadership, the Master, discouraging me and all the others without any proof.

Probably you all are waiting for me to say sorry. So, I say sorry, many times as needed. But respect my attempts, do not say impossible without any proof, stop discouraging all the people who are willing to help this development.

All I am saying "Give peace a chance!"

;-)

Andy600

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 28, 2013, 12:09:48 PM
that kind of that you get in dark corners of underground railway stations for money? ;)

That's a bit 'specific' g3gg0  ::)

...which station?  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Matheus

Here's a real-world test image (100/1600, exposed with ETTR):

Hopefully this completes the proof for all the non-believers.

Well, I tried to... Maybe at some point someone manages to get a better quality...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89CpY3irum7ZVEzZGlPQTFPeTg/edit?usp=sharing

Just as a suggestion, couldn't this interlacing be done like the ML HDR thing? We alternate which lines use high/low ISO every frame, and then compose on post?
Cams: Canon 70D (70D.111B)
Lens: EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6STM, Sigma UC 70-210mm f4-5.6, Helios 44M4-MC 58mm f2
Audio: Zoom H4n + Rode Videomic Pro

a1ex

Nice try, but I'm not impressed. The sky shouldn't be gray, and neither the roof.

1%

Greg

If  you eat poisonous mushrooms it will look like that :

Africashot

Magic Lantern... Magic Mushrooms... THIS must be the inspiration! And I was wondering how you devs could handle all that coding (and even seem to have fun doing it...) @A1ex, please post some growing instructions, maybe we can all become coding geniuses like you!
PD: Glad this thread took on such 'positive' tone after all!
ML 5D2 & T3i

darkstarr

Quote from: apefos on November 27, 2013, 03:17:04 PM
@a1ex if you think it will not work no problem, but other people are free to do tests if they want, so stop bothering us and go work in your raw tasks. you are the main developer but you made this thing open source so please respect it's nature. we have the module enabled, we do not need you and your "impossible words"anymore, let us try our success or our fail alone, you are fired of dual iso h264 development, SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GO AWAY, NOW!

LOL???

where did that come from hahaha!

Rshred

This thread seems to have died but I have been playing around with Apefos' workflow for Dual Iso h.264

I tried in the Apefos Dual Iso software and these are my results, the image recorded in dual iso and the image after processing in the software and merged in the hdr software.

The Apefos Dual Iso works with JPG, BMP and TIF files. You need to convert the MOV video into a image sequence before using the software.
The software automaticaly batch process all images in the directory, it opens the image, apply the luminance factor numbers to correct the luminance for each line and extracts the low iso and the hi iso lines. After this the software interpolates the low and high iso image separately to recreate the missing lines. With these two recreated images you need to use a hdr software to merge the two images into a single hdr image because the Apefos software does not do the merge.

Apefos is using the most simple interpolation method, an average value from the pixel above and below. this simple interpolation method does not removes the aliasing. he also says in the to-do txt file he created a conversion for eliminate the 2 and 3 lines interval to make the image to be 2 lines interval, the same of dual iso raw, but this is not implemented in the beta software yet.

Another thing that is not perfect is the luminance correction in the lines. He is using 32 values, so some areas of the image keeps with some lines strip. In the to do txt file he says he already calculated 946 luminance correction numbers, but this is not implemented in the software yet.

The results are not satisfactory for use, but the software is in a interesting stage.

Apefos is still working hard on perfecting this workflow.  :)

a1ex

So, are you able to challenge my proof or recover the colors from my test image?

tweak

Well that was entertaining... now where's my dual ISO H.264??? I didn't read this whole thread to come up empty handed  :).