[IMPOSSIBLE] dual ISO H.264

Started by jagnje, November 02, 2013, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk11174

Quote from: apefos on November 21, 2013, 06:38:13 PM
Can I just ask for enable the dual iso recording in h264? (just enable and keep the two lines per iso)
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/DUAL_ISO.MO
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

apefos

thanks, but it does not work in the 600D T3i, in the modules loading page, in camera lcd, I get an error message "Err" in front of it.

Can you please download and enable the h264 in this module: (this one is working in 600d T3i)

this working version for 600D T3i is from the latest NewMem build from 1%, see:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads

mk11174

Quote from: apefos on November 22, 2013, 01:51:08 AM
thanks, but it does not work in the 600D T3i, in the modules loading page, in camera lcd, I get an error message "Err" in front of it.

Can you please download and enable the h264 in this module: (this one is working in 600d T3i)

http://www.apefos.com/dualiso/dual_iso.mo

this working version for 600D T3i is from the latest NewMem build from 1%, see:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads
Use it with nightly unified, it is because you are using TL build which is fine, but I compiled with latest unified so if you get the nightly bins it will work.

See if this one works with TL, I compiled with TL6D works on my 600D, and the other one I uploaded works as well when I use the ML version since I compiled from the ML unified.

apefos

"Err" again...

I do not want to move out of TL... TL is working pretty fine in 600D

Maybe it will be better we ask for 1% help...

(I deleted the dual iso module from my site because the right place for downloading it is from the bitbucket)

mk11174

Quote from: apefos on November 22, 2013, 03:10:02 AM
"Err" again...

I do not want to move out of TL... TL is working pretty fine in 600D

Maybe it will be better we ask for 1% help...
TL6D is tragic lantern, I dont have any issues with it on my 550d and 600d, u say you just want to test the dual iso with h.264, so this is giving you the chance to test it, and it is recording the dual iso just fine, just can't do anything with it to merge the iso's together obviously like you can with the DNG's from the RAW files.

If you just want to test it, just grab the unified autoexec.bin from the nightly builds and test it.

1% already helped, he told you what to change in the code, I read that you could not compile, so I made the change and compiled for you, so you are ready for testing.

apefos

Sorry, but I will give up testing...

The nightly builds territory is not for me... It is not so simple to install and make it to work. And the advice "at your own risk" scares me...

If someday the developers come with a good working solution, like the downloads I did from 1% TL, I will install it...

Many thanks, but I will stop for now... maybe I am too hungry for dynamic range... and maybe it will be better to record dual iso raw because it is safe to do...

The h264 idea is great, but I realized that testing it in early stages is not for me... I did the contribution I could do, but developing and testing in early stages is not for me... sorry!

dmilligan

Tragic Lantern is actually more dangerous than ML nightly, see here: (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg78084#msg78084).
Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2013, 04:02:20 PM
Conclusion: personally I'm afraid to run Tragic Lantern on any of my cameras. Sure, I don't remember anyone bricking his camera with TL code, but I've learned about some dangerous things the hard way, by bricking my own cameras (and then learning how unbricking them). Of course, you should not trust me blindly, you should review the code on your own (even the code from the main repo).

Sorry if I sound like bashing or underestimating the contributions from 1%. I've just tried to do an objective review of Tragic Lantern, especially regarding code safety, and I've tried to back every argument with a link or a code snippet. These are the main reasons TL code didn't get merged into main repo; I've pointed them out many times, but the issues were not solved, so a little reminder shouldn't hurt.

The only reason TL doesn't warn you "at your own risk" is that simply 1% does not feel he needs to warn you. Personally, I would also be afraid to run TL. 1% has taken out many of the safety checks a1ex spent significant time putting in place. He also reenabled several features that a1ex considered to potentially dangerous to be released. a1ex has very considerable regard to protect user safety, 1% has very little.

I can't believe somebody actually did this for you after you moaned and groaned for it, and then you're not even willing to actually test it.

All you have to do is download the nightly .zip, extract it and put it on your card.

apefos

I like to be on the bleeding edge. Problem is I have some important work to do with the camera next days, so I cannot allow myself the risk of run into any problems now. January will be a good moment to test because the important work I have to do with the camera will be done. Hope you understand!

jagnje

I pitty your clients if you do this for a living. I will try it as I requested it in the first place.
I might need some instructions as I'm not very geeked up on ML...I just use stable releases and a handfull of features.

mk11174

Quote from: apefos on November 22, 2013, 04:02:56 AM
If someday the developers come with a good working solution, like the downloads I did from 1% TL, I will install it...

try this one for TL 2.0 only
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/dual_iso_h264.zip

jagnje

ok, I got everything to load up on my 550d, but to tell you the trouth I don`t know if it`s working or not. It still says that it only works in raw, but I was able to set everything and record in h.264. Looking at the footage I can`t say if it works or not...do I have to run it thru some software first?

mk11174

Quote from: jagnje on November 22, 2013, 03:59:46 PM
ok, I got everything to load up on my 550d, but to tell you the trouth I don`t know if it`s working or not. It still says that it only works in raw, but I was able to set everything and record in h.264. Looking at the footage I can`t say if it works or not...do I have to run it thru some software first?
That is just a menu warning, I did not bother changing the menu info since he was only wanting it for testing. It will still record the dual ISO with your normal h.264 MOV that the camera normally records at.

The code just makes it work whether RAW is on or not.

Just turn it on and set your Canon ISO to 100 and set Dual ISO to something higher and you should notice the interlaced lines in the LCD and when you record like normal it will record what you see in the LCD.

Now you will have an MOV with interlaced effect, but you can't do anything with it because the CR2HDR is for the Raw DNG files so you can't merge the ISO's together like u can with the Raw files. I don't know what the tester had in mind to do with the interlaced MOV clips, just figured I would help him out so he can see for himself that there is nothing much that can be done with enabling it. Some people just need to try for themselves to understand it.

jagnje

Don`t know I guess I`m doing something wrong...I don`t get the interlaced look. Maybe someone more capable should try it :)

dmilligan

or maybe it just doesn't work and the demosaicing, upscaling, and h264 just smear everything out (which is what I would expect)

does it look any different at all from when you have it enabled/disabled? does it look any different if you change the secondary ISO?

mk11174

Quote from: dmilligan on November 22, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
or maybe it just doesn't work and the demosaicing, upscaling, and h264 just smear everything out (which is what I would expect)

does it look any different at all from when you have it enabled/disabled? does it look any different if you change the secondary ISO?
I see it and also recorded it, I have an interlaced MOV. Are you using the first Dual_ISO link I gave?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a3vp5awgqwiqzb1/MVI_8672.MOV

jagnje

I used this https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/DUAL_ISO.MO
And placed it in the latest nightly build...I may have screwed something up, because I just replaced the regular ML files with the nightly ones...dunno. I can activate it, record in h.264 and all, but it`s just like normal video.
I`m off for the weekend, so I`l try some more next week. If anyone else comes up with something usefull share it here :)
Have a nice weekend everyone.

N/A

This might be useful if we could record at 1080 60i. For all that we can just use hdr video. I might test it out anyway though, can't hurt to try.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

mk11174

Quote from: jagnje on November 22, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
I used this https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/DUAL_ISO.MO
And placed it in the latest nightly build...I may have screwed something up, because I just replaced the regular ML files with the nightly ones...dunno. I can activate it, record in h.264 and all, but it`s just like normal video.
Try with the full compile, bin and modules right from my card for the 550D.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/ML_550D_Dual_ISO_H264_Nov_22_2013.zip

Here is 600D full compile.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/ML_600D_Dual_ISO_H264_Nov_22_2013.zip

N/A

Yeah it works, the .mov even played back in camera. Only thing I can think to convert it is to render out the video to a cinemaDNG sequence and see if CR2HDR will detect them. Who knows...

apefos

Oh Guys!... I could not resist... I confess I was freaking afraid and feeling irresponsible loading this to camera. But then I realize the problem was not the fear, the problem was being a low budget guy with no money to buy another camera...

And then I thought... fuck the camera, if it bricks I can hire someone free lancer for my work... I am realy a low budget bleeding edge guy... And I jumped from the bridge...

I downloaded and loaded it to camera... and "ufs"...finger in the on/off lever...  turned it on... lots of error messages... but went on... and I found the ettr module needs to be disabled to avoid the errors.

So I downloaded the last 600D nightly and inserted the dual_iso (h264) inside it replacing the other... much better and no error messages. (600D 22/11/2013) The layout in this build is great, but temperature is reaching 60 Celius so maybe better go back for other build...

recording is nice, dual iso in h264 works!!!

It worth my home work and my "moaned and groaned"

I think my moving out from the topic for a while was good for other people to come and participate also...

now it is time for the workflow...

apefos

Bleeding Edge is for the Real Man!  :o  ;D  ;)

Guys, now we can record it in H264, so why keep the same still sequence workflow? It is time comsuming...

Let's think about a deinterlace and interpolate plugin for VirtualDub or even for Premiere or After Effects...

We need a deinterlace+interpolate plugin wich can consider two lines (pairs) instead of one line. It is the same principle, just considering two lines. So we can use the same dual h264 video to export two extracted and reconstructed videos...

We also need a hdr plugin for VirtualDub or Premiere / After effects. Something like Enfuse GUI, but for use in two video streams...

Better if we could have a plugin which could do everything in just one pass, extract the two streams and merge them delivering the final result in just one pass processing... this is what we need...

Let's think to avoid still image sequences...

N/A

Don't forget that the 600D also has 3x crop for h264 video..... Hence, no line skipping.  ;)

apefos

Yes 3x crop, and also the VAF-Txi filter!

apefos

More tests and:

Until now I did not see any, I mean ANY magenta dots!!! (no one, nada)

I can do 35fps override for slow motion in fullhd!!!

It seems I found the problem of waterfalling behavior: in 35fps it gives me the problem, but I tweaked it for a multiple of 0.999 (to match 23.976) and I found 34.965 was the number, and then "voilá" no more waterfalling in lines!!! (I did just one test in this, needs confirmation)

The lines separation is perfect even in 100/3200 dual iso!!! (I am using 1.3x CBR)

All this in glorious 1920x1080p fullhd in a low budget Rebel 600D T3i !!!

In camera LCD the preview is magenta cast, but in computer it is less magenta, maybe after merging the colors gets better, or will need color correction (WB was correct in camera)

Wow, so nice!!!

Problem is this last build is giving me 67 celsius RED warning... so I need to find a build without overheating...

apefos

about the workflow, maybe the people from these sites can do the "one pass" solution (deinterlace extraction, interpolation, merging):

http://www.19lights.com (ginger hdr, they work with EXR hdr files wich is great for tweaking in timeline)

http://www.guthspot.se/video/index.htm (deshaker and deinterlace filters for virtual dub, they work with great deinterlace solutions)

One thing I realized is:

after extraction (deinterlace) the image from the lower lines pair must be repositioned to match the position of the first group.

imagine the image reconstructed from the first lines pairs comparing to the image reconstructed from the second lines pairs. they will be two lines mismatched in height.

so, in the interpolation moment, the reconstructed lines must be below the original lines for the first image and above the original lines for the second image, this way they will match in height position.

I know you all hate the one line per iso idea, but why not give it a try? We have nothing to lose, and if it works, the workflow is already ready to go... deinterlace and interpolate in premiere, after, vegas or virtual dub and merge with enfuse gui. and also better resolution and less aliasing.. guys we have nothing to lose testing one line per iso... lets give it a try... (please don't ban me from the forum due to coming back with this idea   ;))