5DII hot pixels

Started by stefan0n, October 31, 2013, 03:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefan0n

I'm using mostly the shooting ML features and the bulb timer. I've noticed that in my 5d mkii raw files of long nightly exposures I've a lot of colored pixels (red, blue, white) in the same positions. Really a great number (more then 50-60), also if I'm shooting at ISO100, with default camera settings, when I use exposure times of some minutes (4 or 5). I've noticed (fewer) hot colored pixels in dark areas also when I do exposures of at least 10 sec. using liveview or not (for example for still lifes scenes). Already had the camera checked from Canon camera service, but nothing changed really. So I wish to ask if someone can share a black raw pic taken with the body cap on with a 5D2 at iso100 and exposure time of 10sec and 5min, so I can compare with mine and have something to show to the service lab for comparison. Someone started telling me that it can be due to the ML use, but I don't think so.
Any help will be really appreciated!

Doyle4

Nothing to do with ML, this is normal,

You shouldnt really see any at 10second exposures but you are at 5mins as the sensor is going to heat up, make your self a cooling box, i used a laptop cooling stand and a plastic tub, put one fan sucking air in and one sucking air out on the other end, makes a lil difference but not as good as the cooling kits out there.  The other option is to remap the sensor.

stefan0n

Thank you very much for your answer.
I must say that I wasn't surprised to see those pixels on a 5min exposure, but was rather upset to see them on so shorter ones with low ISO.
Anyway something weird happened: while formatting my CF with ML yesterday the camera freezed: so after a long wait I removed the battery and restarted it. A message about an error with the CF appeared and a requested to reformat, so ML was wiped from the camera memory card. After this I restored ML and casually tried again a test for hot pixels, starting at 10sec 100iso: things have changed and are a lot better! I haven't anymore colored pixels at less than 30sec exposures and also at 5min it's better... what can be happened? :o

Is 'Remap the sensor' the procedure activated with the full manual sensor clean option? thank you!