How do people export cDNG out of AFX

Started by hkarlsen, October 30, 2013, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkarlsen

Hi! 

What exact workflow do people use when they load their footage into after effects, for premiere editing. Export file by file to prores4444 (send to render
Or add all files to a comp (merging files) and export to prores or other format that way?

Im using the Premiere Pro CC and afx, but this verison that the cloud gave me doesnt seem to support DNG natively (as advertised..:/

Howie

Monsanto

On mac you can use RawMagic to convert to CDNG. On Windows MLV2CDNG

mrnv45

just get Ginger HDR or ADOBE CAMERA RAW and import the .raw file into AE.

or RAWmagic>import the FIRST ( img_000.dng) intro after effects.. and Audjust.. export to Prores

dmilligan

rockfallfilms

Apply a LOG profile in ACR and then export from AE as a Prores 444 file. Do your edit and then send for grading to Resolve or grade in Premiere.

hkarlsen

Thanks for input, starting to manage the workflow a bit better now.

But for quick turnaround shoots, im starting to favor putting the dngs out through Resolve, making them log and applying suitable LUTs. Then export (very quickly) to punchy and saturated prores 422 almost ready for edit/ delivery. Got to underexpose a bit in cam, and not right for all shoots.  The deliver stage in resolve is so much less click and time-consuming than afx. Or am I missing something?

rockfallfilms

Quote from: hkarlsen on October 31, 2013, 06:33:47 PM
Thanks for input, starting to manage the workflow a bit better now.

But for quick turnaround shoots, im starting to favor putting the dngs out through Resolve, making them log and applying suitable LUTs. Then export (very quickly) to punchy and saturated prores 422 almost ready for edit/ delivery. Got to underexpose a bit in cam, and not right for all shoots.  The deliver stage in resolve is so much less click and time-consuming than afx. Or am I missing something?

No you're right, the Resolve workflow is much quick but the debayer quality is much better with ACR.

dariSSight

When I export an finish FX Video with CDNG it export in a kind of fast motion. what did I do wrong?
Canon 5D Mark II

Monsanto

Sounds like U got frame rates mis-matched

vikado

Quote from: dariSSight on November 01, 2013, 12:31:33 PM
When I export an finish FX Video with CDNG it export in a kind of fast motion. what did I do wrong?
after effects is interpreting your footage at 30fps.
try EDIT tab>>>preference>>>import

under sequence footage, change frames per second to what you recorded on your camera.
also check your composition fps settings as well as export fps settings.
5d2 user

hkarlsen

Quote from: rockfallfilms on November 01, 2013, 10:45:02 AM
No you're right, the Resolve workflow is much quick but the debayer quality is much better with ACR.

Youre basicly saying that afx exported video should be sharper than Resolve video? That would be a Magic Lantern-related issue then? I mean, people are using Resolve to export feature films after grading, so I would be shocked if AFX is better at it in all cases.