Issues with 5d mark III after installing ML

Started by leonard_on_his_bike, October 30, 2013, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonard_on_his_bike

Hi guys,

I firstly want to thank the ML team for everything they're doing, I don't for a second blame anyone at ML for any problems I've had with my camera.

Basically, these issues are now solved, but only through formatting all my cards and updating to firmware 1.2.3 again. I'm now a bit nervous about re-installing ML, but would really love to have it working.

I used to have a 550D, and ML really helped me get the most out of it, so upon receiving my mkIII, I wanted to do the same. On the ML website I couldn't find a stable release that said it worked on the mkIII. So I followed the instructions here: http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

I followed them properly, albeit a bit more nervously than when I put it on my 550D because it was instructions from a 3rd party website, and during the process it displayed some odd fuzzy patterns and words at the top of the screen. Anyway, it worked for a couple of days, only running from my SD card (don't yet have a CF card) then last night I went to take some photos and my camera would only turn on without an SD card in the camera. As soon as I put any SD card in, even ones without ML, it just wouldn't do anything or display any information, other than a single blip of red battery light.

Today I reformatted the card, updated my firmware and it's working again, but I really want ML installed. What did I do wrong? I get the feeling I was being extremely naive and not respecting my camera enough, but I didn't know what to do because the ML website doesn't say much about the mk III.

Thanks

RenatoPhoto

If you delete ML from a card that had the bootflag set, then the camera wont boot.  In order to remove ML from a card you have to format it with a card reader.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

leonard_on_his_bike

But I didn't delete it, ML was working about 2 days ago, then the next time I tried the camera I hadn't changed anything, and none of my SD cards worked at all.

Can I only use cards that have ML installed once I have loaded it to the camera once?

leonard_on_his_bike

Thanks for the reply BTW, and sorry if I'm making some very basic error. I'm going to improve my knowledge of what it actually does to my camera before I re-install it.

RenatoPhoto

You probably formated the SD card in the camera, this will delete the ML files but will leave the bootflag on.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

LinuxGadget

That's the most nice feature of ML on the 5DIII: having ML on SD allows to format the CF without worring about ML files.

Monsanto

metamind

Did you upgrade the hacked 5D Mark III from FW 1.1.3 to FW 1.2.3 without any trouble (so far) ?

I am considering to go to FW 1.2.3 for photo work and then to return to FW 1.1.3 for RAW video, later. So far, nobody had final trouble downgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.1.3, but I have not found anything on upgrading a hacked 5D Mark III to 1.2.3...