Sequenced .dng to After Effects are REALLY DARK

Started by mrnv45, October 29, 2013, 10:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnv45

i used magic raw to create the sequence.

with some clips i already did before using GINGER hdr to import the .raw

so i have these folders of .dng that are bright and lit up right

but when i import the image_000.dng  all the clips are dark and cant see anything but a little bit of the light.. i used the Ginger to white balance it..and nothing ..

any idea what i can do?

painya

Maybe it's a Ginger issue. Have you tried raw2dng -> ACR?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

mrnv45

well i took the .raw file and used RAWmagic the other day.

all the .dng files it pulls up are really really dark and i cant even add any exposure or nothing. but it shows regular in my file explorer. no issues. only when i import it into After Effects.

painya

Hopefully something will change with the CC update (if you are on CC). Maybe if you go into ACR, and export as JPG if you really need this shot.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

vikado

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 30, 2013, 04:51:31 AM
well i took the .raw file and used RAWmagic the other day.

all the .dng files it pulls up are really really dark and i cant even add any exposure or nothing. but it shows regular in my file explorer. no issues. only when i import it into After Effects.
in ACR, try using a different processing year (2012, 2010, 2003)
5d2 user

mrnv45

how do i get ACR? i downloaded the 8.1 update form Adobe for Camera raw and DNG converter i believe? or something like that.

anyways i am running AE CS6 i dont have the .raw files anymore cause i had previously exported through FCPx to one long clip.

but i wanna see if i can get a better quality through AE using the workflow of importing the first sequence and using Ginger HDR

so i have all the files of DNG i can upload maybe someone can see if theirs pics it up?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce2fm6yfsxgi1wv/M03-0218_C0000_00000.dng

vikado

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 30, 2013, 09:14:58 PM
how do i get ACR? i downloaded the 8.1 update form Adobe for Camera raw and DNG converter i believe? or something like that.

anyways i am running AE CS6 i dont have the .raw files anymore cause i had previously exported through FCPx to one long clip.

but i wanna see if i can get a better quality through AE using the workflow of importing the first sequence and using Ginger HDR

so i have all the files of DNG i can upload maybe someone can see if theirs pics it up?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce2fm6yfsxgi1wv/M03-0218_C0000_00000.dng

in after effects, file>import>file
go to the folder where the dng sequence is located. then select the very first dng. make sure "camera raw sequence" is ticked on.
click on open and ACR will pop up before it shows up in after effects.

it will look like this.
what you're seeing is everything set to default except for the white balance set to "auto"

5d2 user

mrnv45

i installed the Camera Raw 7.1 now everything is a bunch of colored pixels.
i think i seen acr in photoshop?  RAW magic already exported these .dng

i dont see a sequence option?

vikado

that's odd, i've never encountered that before.
try changing the colorspace to 16bit or 32bit float
if you dont know, once your clip is loaded into after effects, click and drag the clip to the "8bpc" below.
project settings will show up and there you can change the color space from 8bit to 16 or 32bit
doubt that will do the trick but worth the try
5d2 user

mrnv45

no luck.  whenever i upload the picture it just shows black in my icon at the top. even in yours it is showing the accurate look?
thats weird.

acr works in photoshop though

mrnv45

when you downlaoded and imported did it change the image size to 200x400? or something in that ballpark?

when i downloaded from my drop box it was full size.. and when i uploaded to after effects it was the right color.  but the size was smaller?  weird!  WTH lol. 

vikado

You can always resave the dng sequence as tiff. See if that works.
Also, Try going the resolve route. See if it plays back properly.
5d2 user

mrnv45

i cant get resolve on my macbook 2011 13" i5... something about a GUI error or something.. LITE dont work.  tried all the new stuff.

only thing i can do is   .raw to After effects on my new shoots..  but these clips i have i wanted to re export them cause right now they are one long B-Roll clip ... but i want individual clips..

thanks for the help i am uploading my file squence (150 clips) to drop box maybe someone has the same issue using the whole sequence. cause i dont see the raw sequence setting

mrnv45

Here is my sequence if anyone else can see.. i wonder why i cant get ACR to pop up on import?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvnhxv4qkg5ji5p/M03-0219_C0000.zip

vikado

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 30, 2013, 10:52:37 PM
i cant get resolve on my macbook 2011 13" i5... something about a GUI error or something.. LITE dont work.  tried all the new stuff.

only thing i can do is   .raw to After effects on my new shoots..  but these clips i have i wanted to re export them cause right now they are one long B-Roll clip ... but i want individual clips..

thanks for the help i am uploading my file squence (150 clips) to drop box maybe someone has the same issue using the whole sequence. cause i dont see the raw sequence setting
i suggest going to the mac centric threads (like the rawmagic thread) and asking there why you cant install resolve on your mac.
5d2 user

Monsanto

Hold ctrl & E (pc) or (Mac) command & E . It opens ACR to edit original file

mrnv45

that opens my Photoshop.  is there anyway to change that?

vikado

try this.
load the dng sequence into your project window.
right click on the clip in the project window>>>>interpret footage>>>main>>>more options
ACR should open up
5d2 user

mrnv45