[Help] Getting a Blackmagic camera instead of a 7D

Started by jpbelentani, October 29, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbelentani

Hi everyone, at first sorry if I may sound a bit confusing, english is not my first language, I'm no expert on cameras. Also sorry for making this post too long.

My father recently bought a new camera and gave me his Canon 7D and a Canon 24-105 Lens. I know the 7d is a nice camera for video specially with Magic Lantern, but I was thinking about selling the 7D and get the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

I think is REALLY important mentioning that I would be selling the 7d here in where I live(Brazil), and buying the BMCC on US, also the 7D here is worth the same as the BMCC in US so it would be like getting a BMCC "for free".

I know the BMCC has some issues like not being able to delete videos from the camera, see how much space i have left on the ssd, no audio meter.. but I think this will eventually be fixed on a future update.

At first I was considering the EF version so I could use my 24-105 lens without any kind of adaptor, but I read that the crop factor would be an issue on the EF version.

From what I read if I get the MFT version and use a speed booster, I could get the same crop factor as an APS-C sensor, which would be similar to the 7D. Is it possible to use the MFT speed boster and a EF to MFT adaptor so I can use my canon lens on the BMCC MFT while the Metabones EF to MFT speed boster does not come out ?

And also, is it a smart choice to get the BMCC instead of the 7d ?

Once again sorry if I said something wrong, and also for making this long post, but I think is important to make everything claer so I don't regrat my choice later on.

Thank you!

5D3shooter

You should read more about the BMCC; they sound good until you realize how much extra stuff you will need to get a running rig.  No removable battery on the BMCC = external battery packs + shoulder rig to carry everything.  It's really not practical as a hand-held camera.  Also, I hope you realize that the post production is a lot of work and you will need a very good computer, as with any RAW video.  If you only want to shoot video, then I guess its worth a try, but if you also want to take still photos then I'd recommend you get the Canon 5D Mark III and get best of both worlds. 

"From what I read if I get the MFT version and use a speed booster, I could get the same crop factor as an APS-C sensor, which would be similar to the 7D. Is it possible to use the MFT speed boster and a EF to MFT adaptor so I can use my canon lens on the BMCC MFT while the Metabones EF to MFT speed boster does not come out ?"

I think this question would be better asked on the BMC forum, as I doubt many people, if any, are using this camera here.

Alternatively, you can get the BMC Pocket Camera, and save money for some good glass, but again with this camera a lot of extra things are needed and then it really isn't so much of a "pocket camera." 

"And also, is it a smart choice to get the BMCC instead of the 7d ?"

Not to insult you in any way, but you just got a 7D and you're on a forum asking if you should sell it and get a BMCC...please make sure you are not moving too fast, as you should know what tools you need and don't need on your own.  I think you should shoot some movies on your 7D and enjoy it!  A lot of people made a lot of amazing things with that camera.  Don't get too caught up in the gear—trust me, it happens to all of us!

jpbelentani

Thanks for the reply

I decided to keep the 7D. As you said I just got the 7D and it should be more than enough for me now, so there's no reason for replace it. Thanks!

edwmotion

I also decide to keep my 7D just for its 2.5k raw recording mode. The problem here is the crop factor on 5x mode.  :-\

If only I could use this lens on my 7D   ::)

http://www.rmaelectronics.com/kowa-lm8hc-1-8mm-f1-4-manual-iris-c-mount-lens-2-megapixel/

1%

That sounds like so much hassle with BMCC.. I thought the advantage there was it was stable and had basic features out of the box. You don't have to use crop on the 7D unless you have a scene with some bad aliasing.

5D3shooter

I sold both my 7D and 50D... kickin' myself in the butt now!  If I would've known what was to come of these cameras with ML I would've kept them and had THREE RAW video cams.. oh well  :'(

5D3shooter

Quote from: edwmotion on October 31, 2013, 02:14:35 AM
I also decide to keep my 7D just for its 2.5k raw recording mode. The problem here is the crop factor on 5x mode.  :-\

If only I could use this lens on my 7D   ::)

http://www.rmaelectronics.com/kowa-lm8hc-1-8mm-f1-4-manual-iris-c-mount-lens-2-megapixel/

Hey,

What about this adapter?

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/c-mount-movie-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

With the extreme wide angle of that lens, it's possible it will smack your mirror though

kgv5

This is not 5x crop, it shows that way but 2,5k is really about 2 times crop, like BMCC (you are cutting 2500 pixels out of 5700).
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

edwmotion

Quote from: 5D3shooter on October 31, 2013, 08:14:10 AM
Hey,

What about this adapter?

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/c-mount-movie-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

With the extreme wide angle of that lens, it's possible it will smack your mirror though

I was thinking about buying an adapter (just for crop mode... so I don't care vignette), but,, will it work?.  The mirror is a problem here.

"No; Limited Focus Range, Macro Only"... how much is macro???? LOL