Confused about .UFR files

Started by nchant, October 29, 2013, 02:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchant

Hey,

So I have attempted a couple of timelapses over the past week, and now looking at editing them using the sidecart files. I have had a look through the main Flicker Free ETTR thread (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0) but I am still a little confused.

I am on a Mac, and now I see I should have used .XMP files instead of .UFR files (grr). Now, how do I get the information from the .UFR files to work in Lightroom 5? I am no scripting guru so that stuff is a bit beyond me :(

Cheers!

nchant

painya

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 26, 2013, 01:35:58 AM
Updated Oct-17-2013

UFRAW WORKFLOW

1. Download UFRAW basic version.  You can find it here in many flavors:
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

I used the windows for dummies version from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufraw/files/ufraw/ufraw-0.19.2/ufraw-0.19.2-2-setup.exe/download

2. Install it all default settings.

3. Download this little .bat file I created to run it in batch mode here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9z8Y0rg-pu8bE9XaUdQcnJPQzA/edit?usp=sharing

or.. make your own bat file with the following commands:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ufraw\bin
ufraw-batch I:\ufrawconvert\*.ufraw --out-type=jpeg

Note that you must have the correct directory for   \ufraw\bin

Also note that you must have another directory selected for the place where you put the timelapse files, in the above example it is I:\ufrawconvert\

3a. If you downloaded the bat file you will have to edit.  Note that if you placed that bat file in the C: drive you will have to start the notepad as an administrator; this also depends on what type of operating system you have.  so before you move it to the C dir, just edit with the necessary changes. 

3b. Now save it and copy it to the \ufraw\bin directory.  Again you may need administrator permits to do this.

3c. Now create a short-cut (select the file, right mouse, Shortcut) to this file and copy it to your desktop.

If you double click on this link the ufraw batch system will kick in and start processing the files.  But before you do this lets go to step 4.

4. Wait for the timelapse to finish, and then we are going to copy the files to the I:\ufrawconvert\ directory, or to whatever directory you set in the bat file.

MAKE SURE YOU COPY THE .CR2 and the .UFR files.  There should be a corresponding .UFR  file for the .CR2  If the names don't match then we will have to rename them.  More on that later.  For now just copy them.

5. If the names are not identical then download Bulk Rename Utility here:
www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk  (Also in Mac:  http://namechanger.en.softonic.com/mac)

6. Open Bulk Rename Utility and navigate to where your files are.   There are a lot of options on this little thing but we will only use a couple.  Our goal will be to make the .CR2 files names match the UFR files and then to rename the .UFR files to .UFRAW.

Let's assume that the CR2 file says IMG_7064.CR2 and that you want to change it to HP6A7064.CR2

Click on the CR2 file, now look at the third selection column (below the files) on the top row and it should say Remove.  On the little box that say first you can enter 4 to remove the first 4 letters from the file.  Now the CR2 file should  read 7064.CR2.  Now look to next selection column where it says ADD and in prefix put HP6A.  Now it should read HP6A7064.CR2  If you have it right then select all of the CR2 files and press Rename on the bottom right corner of the application.

But note that the numbers must be corresponding so make sure you do not change any numbers.

Now select one of the . UFR files and reset the boxes that you previously modified.  Find the selection column number 11, this is Extensions.  Click on the drop-down box and select Fixed, type the UFRAW extension.  Notice how the HP6A7064.UFR is now renamed to HP6A7064.UFRAW  If all looks good then select all of the UFR files and  press Rename on the bottom right corner of the application.

Done!

7.  Go back to your desktop and double click on the shrortcut-link you created for the batch file.

If all goes well you will see UFRAW going to work... for a long time

8.   Watch the program details because it may not send the files to the destination folder.  The first time I ran, it worked flawlessly but the second time it sent the files to a \ufraw\bin directory but I could not find them.  In my case it says it is going to the C:\Program Files (x86)\ufraw\bin directory but I found them in the C:\Users\RE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\UFRaw\bin   

To simplify the whole process I went to this directory, went up one level, and made a short-cut which I copied back to my Desktop.  So now I have a shortcut for the batch file and a shortcut for the directory where it saves.

After all of the files are processed get them out of there to another DIR and import them to your video software.
This is a quote from the thread you just posted. Is this what you were looking for?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

nchant

That is correct, but that seems to be all PC oriented, I'm on a Mac.

I have downloaded Xcode (no idea what to do with this...) and Namechanger (again, no idea... however I have changed the .UFR files to .UFRAW)

Why do I change the files from IMG_ to HP6A? What is the purpose?

Apologies if I am missing something, I just find these instructions a bit confusing as It isn't telling me why and what each step does.