MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 16, 2013, 10:06:46 AM
hdmi playback is slower for reason. the resolution is higher.

this ;)

thanks for the vid
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

MA Visuals

Makes sense. Sometimes obvious escapes me.  ;D

g3gg0

added delete feature.
either press TRASH or go choose "Del" .
you have to confirm by pressing SET again.

still buggy - seems to have trouble with deleting .idx and .M00, etc chunks.
just the main file seems to get deleted.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

MonteNero

Great!
Is it possible to get real time color playback?

g3gg0

you mean the playback should be faster?

MonteNero

Hi, g3ggo!
I mean now the playback is arround 2-3 fps in color mode. I wonder if it is possible to make the playback at a correct speed of 24/25/30 fps?

MA Visuals

Now with the play button being assigned to playback mlv files, was the function to select/deselect individual files in the file browser reassigned to another key?  If not, can it be?

g3gg0

Quote from: MA Visuals on November 19, 2013, 07:10:28 AM
Now with the play button being assigned to playback mlv files, was the function to select/deselect individual files in the file browser reassigned to another key?  If not, can it be?

ah okay seems i should check for ML menus being inactive before launching playback.
thanks.

Quote from: MonteNero on November 19, 2013, 06:02:13 AM
Hi, g3ggo!
I mean now the playback is arround 2-3 fps in color mode. I wonder if it is possible to make the playback at a correct speed of 24/25/30 fps?

can you do me favor? just make a guess why the playback is that slow. ;)

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 19, 2013, 10:37:39 AM
can you do me favor? just make a guess why the playback is that slow. ;)
Are you trying to say it is too much for the camera to process the raw files?  ::)

MonteNero

Hi,g3ggo!
I took time to run some HDMI tests on the latest build.
So this what I found:
1. No more strange "no image" overlay in playback.
2. There is the shift of the whole image to the left side of the screen on the playback.
3.There are still white noise and lines on the top and the bottom of the screen when playback. Very distracting btw.
4. On some field monitors custom res like 1600x900 give strange overlays in liveview (recording mode).
5. And most important thing... I had several crashes after I tried to exit the HDMI playback. I would say that it is less stable comparing to previous builds.
6.Detaching HDMI cable can freeze the camera.

g3gg0

Quote from: MonteNero on November 25, 2013, 05:33:22 PM
Hi,g3ggo!
I took time to run some HDMI tests on the latest build.

thanks!

MonteNero

Hi, guys!
I see there were some more changes in MLV Play module. Hopefully I will test it during the week.
I still have some hopes regarding the real time color playback  ;D Is it possible?????? Come on that would be another miracle you guys do.

MonteNero

Hi!
I was digging the playback, and I've noticed that the playback is faster at 24 fps... So I thought what if frame skipping functionality could be done for 25 fps. I suggest to  playback only 20  actual frames per second plus 5 that are duplicates(holds) of every 4th frame. This way camera has to read only 20 frames out of 25 frames.
This technic is used in some 2d animation, when there are 12 actual drawings and every drawing is repeated twice to achieve 24 fps.
What do you think guys?

MonteNero

By the way I tested HDMI, it has got really bad...
1) 5d III crashes every time I want to exit the playback. I have to pull out the battery.
2) There is overlay "no image" bar again that overlays the playback.
3) The weird lines on the top and bottom of the frame are now colored and have some strange flickering with strange  pink blinks.
4) There is the offset toward the left side of the screen of overall playback window.
I did not try to offload the video I've shot while I was testing HDMI, so can't tell if there are any buggy frames.

1%

please: block the play button hook when LV isn't open? the delete option is working great and other than that everything is kosher

g3gg0

right. remember that annoying me too.

Andy600

Would be good to play the last recorded file when hitting play without having to scroll through all shots or go into the file manager to get to the latest one. I sometimes shoot some stills for reference when shooting video but can't view them without first disabling mlv_play. Can it co-exist with Canon photo previews?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

MA Visuals

Quote from: MonteNero on December 04, 2013, 07:06:56 PM
By the way I tested HDMI, it has got really bad...
1) 5d III crashes every time I want to exit the playback. I have to pull out the battery.
2) There is overlay "no image" bar again that overlays the playback.
3) The weird lines on the top and bottom of the frame are now colored and have some strange flickering with strange  pink blinks.
4) There is the offset toward the left side of the screen of overall playback window.

I am experiencing the same exact issues for all the points you listed.  Using 5d3 as well. The crashing while exiting playback being the most problematic of course.  Regarding the image being offset, this makes it difficult to judge if I nailed composition.

g3gg0

added playback of last recorded file and some progress bar when creating an index.

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 05, 2013, 01:03:50 AM
added playback of last recorded file and some progress bar when creating an index.

This is very helpful.  Another suggestion would be to allow navigating past the last recording and continuing to the first recording.  And the same behavior if navigating in the opposite direction.  On a 64gb card I often end up with 40+ short video clips and this would make it much easier to navigate through lots of footage.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 05, 2013, 01:03:50 AM

Just tried this with raw_rec using the latest nightly (commit 9d367a5) which included these new changes to mlv_play and raw_rec.  Pressing the Canon play button no longer lauches mlv_play.  I just get the "No Image" message.

Also, can you upload an updated pre-built mlv_rec file?

g3gg0

so with the latest raw_rec it doesnt work? ok will check tonight.

1%

Working here still.. maybe raw_rec in main is missing original change to make mlv_play on play work?

g3gg0

can you test the next nightly build, if it works with .raw as expected?